Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Karsa's Soletaken Cloak

#1 User is offline   Gibby 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:22 PM

What soletaken's fur is Karsa wearing when he meets Mappo/Icarium in the desert (Mappo says something like "on your shoulders is the fur of a soletaken, one we both know"? I picked up HoC to reread some of it and am drawing a blank here for some reason.

#2 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 05 August 2008 - 12:04 AM

The...bear.

Uh, Messremb, I think.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#3 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 05 August 2008 - 12:23 AM

Nah, Messremb was brown, and stuck in Tremolor. Or however that's spelt. The white soletaken bear was just a nameless dick who got cocky.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#4 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:22 AM

Really? Hunh.

I'm not giving my rep back.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#5 User is offline   Cerberus Maw 

• Corporal

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:37 AM

Illuyankas;364919 said:

Nah, Messremb was brown, and stuck in Tremolor. Or however that's spelt. The white soletaken bear was just a nameless dick who got cocky.

Would this be the bear that he killed in DeadHouse Gates? When himself, Leoman, Herobic, and Felisin are in the desert, they come accross seven dead natives.
Karsa sets out and kills the bear, noting that it was a large white plains bear, similar to ones he had fought before. It not for being in the desert rather than tree plains, he felt that for a moment it was like being home again.

#6 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor

Posted 05 August 2008 - 12:29 PM

Yeah, that's the fucker.

#7 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 05 August 2008 - 12:56 PM

Deadhouse Gates said:

"A bear with white fur," the Toblakai rumbled. "For a moment, I dreamed I had returned to my home in Laederon. Nethaur, we call such beasts. But we fought on sand and rock, not snow and ice. I have brought its skin and its head and its claws, for the beast was twice as large as any I'd seen before."

There ya go... it was a soletaken, but not Messremb (who had brown fur)
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#8 User is offline   Dance 

• Sergeant

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:06 PM

When I read the title I thought you meant Karsa had a cloak that shapeshifted into an animal, and I was trying to figure out how I missed that in HoC...

#9 User is offline   Gibby 

• Recruit

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:12 AM

Salt-Man Z;364955 said:

Really? Hunh.

I'm not giving my rep back.

It's the thought that counts. :)

#10 User is offline   Excellence 

• High Fist

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:14 AM

Not Messremb, he died in Deadhouse Gates. It was a white soletaken bear. Probably the one who fought Gryllen when Felisin and her gang met the "fat man" in the desert.
If there were no smart people others wouldn't feel inadequate.

Right?

#11 User is offline   MassiveG 

• Recruit

Posted 08 May 2016 - 05:46 PM

No the one in the desert that was trying to get past Kulps wards was actually Messremb I think, and they are scared of him when the real threat was in there with them as Kulp found out - but Messremb died in Tremelor. This one on Karsa's shoulders is the one he went off to seek and kill when with Heboric Felisin in that abandoned city and I can't see any answers anywhere as to what it's name is. there are some bonecasters whose soletaken form is a bear?

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:06 PM

View PostMassiveG, on 08 May 2016 - 05:46 PM, said:

... there are some bonecasters whose soletaken form is a bear?

Not sure whether any Imass Bonecaster seen as of HoC has that form, but the soletaken Karsa was hunting wasn't a Bonecaster.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users