• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Badass List of Badass characters Rate Topic: -----

#121 User is offline   Jude 

• Jude
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:45 PM

View PostExcellence, on Nov 1 2008, 05:47 AM, said:

Nebral . . . What was the point of hyping him if he was finished midway of the book? Yes, these superpower entities can be taken on my even a Pust mage. Yes, expect the unexpected from Erikson, but that only made him a waste of time.

Dejim, is my favorite malazan last-boss character. No one in the entire series has sucked a huger failure than he has. Not even Redmask! He get's arguably the most badass hardcore awesome introduction in the series yet and you just know that he is going to fuck alot of shit up and kill off every main character and change the world.

He then sets off into the new world, one he is certain will bow instantly to his elder super power. Separates Mappo and Icarium, takes massive damage. Now he can't find a city, and is hanging around the desert searching desperately, yet still assured that once he gets back on track that everything will be alright, for some meat. Pust beats the shit out of him, almost nonchalantly too. It's now getting a little worse for poor Dejim Nebral. Oh but wait! Finally! a naked damsel, ripe for the picking. She'll give him enough oomph to sustain him until he can find a city, and then.. oh boy.. and then! Oops, she just just hurt him even worse.. now here come some gigantic dogs that are only after him as a secondary goal. They are really after their shadow counterparts, another entity that's way more valid and awesome than Nebral. So yeah, they grab him and carry him around for a while while they chase some other dogs, and then finally, when he has become SO useless and pathetic, they put him down. That's it for the biggest threat in the bone hunters as revealed in the prologue.

Pure genius.

#122 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:48 PM

Actually, I think he was last seen carried off with the... uhm, deragoth, no?

#123 User is offline   Jude 

• Jude

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:57 PM

View PostAptorian, on Nov 17 2008, 03:48 PM, said:

yeah.. the big dogs I was talking about. And I don't think he's LAST seen with them carrying him away, They bring him to Poliel's temple and I think he get's finished off there. Ofcourse I might be wrong and they carry him away from there as well but I was PRETTY sure that's where the last Dejim bites the dust. Or do they even bring him that far. Maybe you're right, Apt. Maybe the last time we see him IS when they drag him away from Masan Gilani. Damn you and your giving of doubts!

#124 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:09 AM

View PostJude, on Nov 17 2008, 02:38 PM, said:

Jack's was:

WJ - Sergeant
Kalam - Corporal
Quick - Squad Mage
Mallet - Healer
Trotts - Fighter
Hedge - Sapper
Fiddler - Sapper

And about 10 other soldiers...

Anyway, we never even see the Deragoth after they reach Poliel. Dejim is pretty sure in his head that he is going to share Poliel's death, and indeed the idea is that the Hounds needed to find something that would make the Deragoth stop chasing them, because they would just ignore Dejim otherwise. Apparently stopping to kill a goddess like Poliel is sufficient, and leaving Dejim at her feet ensured he would die as well.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#125 User is offline   Jude 

• Jude

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:07 AM

View PostD'rek, on Nov 17 2008, 07:09 PM, said:

Jack's was:

WJ - Sergeant
Kalam - Corporal
Quick - Squad Mage
Mallet - Healer
Trotts - Fighter
Hedge - Sapper
Fiddler - Sapper

Anyway, we never even see the Deragoth after they reach Poliel. Dejim is pretty sure in his head that he is going to share Poliel's death, and indeed the idea is that the Hounds needed to find something that would make the Deragoth stop chasing them, because they would just ignore Dejim otherwise. Apparently stopping to kill a goddess like Poliel is sufficient, and leaving Dejim at her feet ensured he would die as well.

Drek's got it down pat for the dejim and deragoth situation.

As for WJ squad. Are you SURE there were ten other soldiers? why would they split up a squad they were sending to Darujhistan? plus the people I listed count more than the people in Fiddler's BH squad. And post Corabb's initiation it's exactly the same amount.

Fiddler
Tarr
Koryk
Smiles
Corabb
Bottle
Cuttle

I don't think squads are supposed to be 17 soldiers big.

#126 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:08 PM

View PostJude, on Nov 18 2008, 07:07 PM, said:

View PostD'rek, on Nov 17 2008, 07:09 PM, said:

Jack's was:

WJ - Sergeant
Kalam - Corporal
Quick - Squad Mage
Mallet - Healer
Trotts - Fighter
Hedge - Sapper
Fiddler - Sapper

Drek's got it down pat for the dejim and deragoth situation.

As for WJ squad. Are you SURE there were ten other soldiers? why would they split up a squad they were sending to Darujhistan? plus the people I listed count more than the people in Fiddler's BH squad. And post Corabb's initiation it's exactly the same amount.

Fiddler
Tarr
Koryk
Smiles
Corabb
Bottle
Cuttle

I don't think squads are supposed to be 17 soldiers big.

Beginning of GotM, WJ and co. just came out of the tunnels and are endolling Hairlock. Here's a paraphrased segment of conversation, the numbers might not be exactly right.
Tattersail: "How many soldiers in your squad?"
WJ: "Seven."
Tattersail: "And this morning?"
WJ: "Fifteen."
Tatt: "I'm sure they would good soldiers."
WJ: "Good at dying."

Either Dujek's organization was different from others, or else there was a special organization to the BBs, or else thinks have changed between early GotM and HoC, or else when Fiddler said his squad was undermanned (and that so were all the others), he meant by a lot! Given the way the 14th, particularly the 8th Legion gradually shifts to small squads of mixed marines, sappers, heavies and squad mages, I would suspect that this is a thing peculiar to the marines of the 9th Company, whereupon it spreads to the other companies of the 8th legion and then probably to the marines of the entire 14th (assuming there are marines in the other legions at all). I would imagine that the companies of light infantry, medium infantry, archers, healers, outriders, mage cadres, siege weapon operators, etc all have their own standards and that those have not changed. In particular, I suspect that light and medium infantry, which seem to be the main force of the 14th (numerically that is), have much larger standard squads, and that the 9th company was somewhat unique among the 14th army in having severely undermanned squads of medium infantry (like Hellian's squad of 4 pre-Y'Ghatan).

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#127 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 14 December 2008 - 03:21 AM

wy is WJ at the bottom... rather exluded... he have a BADASS history

thh spoiler not big
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 14 December 2008 - 08:08 AM

i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#128 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:11 AM

View PostJude, on Nov 18 2008, 12:57 AM, said:

View PostAptorian, on Nov 17 2008, 03:48 PM, said:

yeah.. the big dogs I was talking about. And I don't think he's LAST seen with them carrying him away, They bring him to Poliel's temple and I think he get's finished off there. Ofcourse I might be wrong and they carry him away from there as well but I was PRETTY sure that's where the last Dejim bites the dust. Or do they even bring him that far. Maybe you're right, Apt. Maybe the last time we see him IS when they drag him away from Masan Gilani. Damn you and your giving of doubts!

I think I remember the hounds og shadow bringing him to the tempel and then I think the deragoth took him with them. I don't remember any mention of him being devouredf or anything.

#129 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:57 PM

that scene is given us from poliels perspective, she sees the houds of shadow, comments that they leave the "spitting scaly leopard" to share her fate. then the deragoth enter "elder as any god. deprived of one quarry, yet content to settle for this one."

no mention of them actually killing or eating either of the two but from what i gather the d'goth, decided, well better luck next time lets eat this goddess and whats left of the t'rolbarahl. dont know why they would take dejim anywhere

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 14 December 2008 - 09:58 PM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#130 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:09 AM

Rallick Nom..."acts like he has Aspergers"...made me ROFLBANSHEE.
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#131 User is offline   Edonidd 

• Recruit

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:08 PM

Vorcan is the leader and as is usual in MBotF, apparently the most powerful among them, of a group of assassins. She then proceeds to personally take out a number of members of the high mages that actually run Daru. That seems pretty badass by itself, but then we learn later that these high mages are also ascendants or something and have been around for a long time, and are the leaders of the segulah? Or something to that effect was stated by the Segulah second when he met with Crokus/Cutter. I just started TtH and see her in the list of characters at the begining, so I don't know if we will see her confirmed on the badass list or fall off of it, but up until that point she should be on it.

Temper seems pretty badass as well, if you read NoK, and he was mentioned a few times in the main series. Cotillion states that ST ran away when he saw Temper, and Tarr states how he heard his story from Braven Tooth and thought it was too fantastic to believe.

Speaking of Braven Tooth, just from the legends of other people talking about him, he seems pretty badass, plus punching Fiddler while snoring was pretty badass.

And is (displayed) fighting prowess isn't the sole requirement, Captain Kindly seems like the biggest badass of them all. "What's that a broken leg? So? Why are you just sitting there?"

#132 User is offline   The Crow 

• Corporal
  • Food is appreciated.

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:03 PM

View PostHalfTere, on Jul 21 2008, 11:15 PM, said:

Least Badass (but still Badass)
L'oric (More badass than Whiskeyjack, or to be more precise: not quite asperfect an embodiment of non-badassness as Whiskeyjack is)
Whiskeyjack (He's just not badass)

*Not a Malazan character, for reference only

How is Whiskeyjack not badass? A world famous strategist, still he's humble, kind and gracious, has a good hand with the ladies (even XXX-amount of thousand year old ones), not to mention he's a pretty damn awesome swordsman.

This post has been edited by The Crow: 14 August 2009 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (Darkwatch @ May 22 2009, 03:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Twilight is the latest thing out of Pandora's Box.

#133 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:13 PM

Whiskeyjack spent all of GOTM and MOI crying. The reason to why he was killed by Kallor was actually that he was so dehydrated from all the crying.

#134 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:17 PM

View PostThe Crow, on Aug 14 2009, 07:03 PM, said:

How is Whiskeyjack not badass? A world famous strategist, still he's humble, kind and gracious a pussy, has a good hand with the ladies (even XXX-amount of thousand year old ones) a lady, a particularly whiny emo example from a race of whiny immortal emos, not to mention he's a pretty damn awesome swordsman, by which I mean he's very good at getting himself and a sword to share the same space.

Oh wait, that's how he's not badass.

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#135 User is offline   The Crow 

• Corporal
  • Food is appreciated.

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:55 PM

@Apt

What exactly did he spend GOTM and MoI crying about? Most of the time I remember he was commanding squads or armies, making friends with the by far most badass character in the entire series, or planning his own Drowning so he could finally stop doing said commanding of squads and armies.

@Illu

Being humble, gracious and kind makes you a pussy? You don't have to spit bile on the world to be badass, just a fyi.
And what do you mean not a good swordsman? Did you read MoI at all?

#136 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:11 PM

View PostThe Crow, on Aug 14 2009, 08:55 PM, said:

@Apt

What exactly did he spend GOTM and MoI crying about? Most of the time I remember he was commanding squads or armies, making friends with the by far most badass character in the entire series, or planning his own Drowning so he could finally stop doing said commanding of squads and armies.

@Illu

Being humble, gracious and kind makes you a pussy? You don't have to spit bile on the world to be badass, just a fyi.
And what do you mean not a good swordsman? Did you read MoI at all?

Okay, just as a pointer, because I suspect you may be new to the internet/forums and Illy and I's horrible attempts at humor... You just got trolled, bad. It's something of a hobby for people here on the forum to pick away at each other pet characters and books, just for the heck of it. Don't get too worked up ;)

We are of course exaggerating WJs moodswings, but he really was a surly commander. It's of course part of what makes reading about him so interesting. This great leader of men, a great soldier and strategist, who some how also manages to remain human and make friends with gods and hot alien black chicks.

But seriously, he was highly emotional in pretty much every POV we get from him. Waaahh, I don't deserve my mens trust, waaah, people died because of my orders, waaaahhh, the empres tried to kill me.

You'd think that a fifty something veteran soldier would be a bit less of a blubbery woman and a bit more cold and commanding.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 14 August 2009 - 07:13 PM

#137 User is offline   The Crow 

• Corporal
  • Food is appreciated.

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:24 PM

I'm quite familiar with trolling, but that still doesn't explain to why he's not just far down on the list, but in fact on the opposite list. And since I assumed that what you and Illy expressed were some of the reasons why he's on the other list, I answered said arguments with counter-arguments, for the sake of debate.

And no, I don't mind being trolled, but I would generally keep it out of actual debate/opinion threads. Save it for the Phoenix.

This post has been edited by The Crow: 14 August 2009 - 07:24 PM

#138 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:37 AM

Its safe to say the seguleh second is Highly badass.

Seriously twisted, totally off his kettle, cackles
and tells hood to fuck off.

He deserves special mention I think.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#139 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

Grub is the most badassed character there is. He's a fucking baby that walks around like he knows everything (because he does). I defy you to find someone more badass then an omnipotent baby.

#140 User is offline   Stradivarius 

• Marine

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:19 PM

an omnipresent baby?
Whole bag of orios! crappin all over the carpet! twelve ribs my ass!!!

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users