• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steven Brust

#1 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • I like cake.

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:44 PM

Any fans here? It seems to me it's love him or hate him for the most part but who knows.

I highly enjoy his books, and find them pretty entertaining. Short and sweet.

The new Vlad Taltoes book is released tomorrow,Jhegaala.
I'm looking forward to it as soon as I finish TtH.

Brust was the guy who got me reading fantasy again, and from him to Erikson, them Erikson to GRRM.

So, loves him, hate him? Thoughts on his books? Anyone else looking forward to the new one?

(There is so very little about him on the net, it's like Glen Cook.)
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#2 User is offline   Christopher 

• Corporal

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:23 PM

wolf_2099;346392 said:

Any fans here? It seems to me it's love him or hate him for the most part but who knows.

I highly enjoy his books, and find them pretty entertaining. Short and sweet.

So, loves him, hate him? Thoughts on his books? Anyone else looking forward to the new one?

(There is so very little about him on the net, it's like Glen Cook.)

The only book of his I've read is 'To Reign in Hell' but I thought that was great. Is the rest of his stuff anything like that book stylewise?

#3 User is offline   MrXIII 

• Blunt Claw
  • Interests:Vital existence

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:53 AM

To Reign in hell was an interesting book, I've had one of the Taltos books sitting in my too read piles for over 4 years... keeps getting stuff put on top of it.

#4 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 08 July 2008 - 03:30 PM

I love Brust! To Reign in Hell is fantastic, but stylistically unlike his other work. His other work falls mainly into two camps:

1. Taltos
2. Paarfi

The Taltos books are all based around the adventures of Vlad Taltos, an 'Easterner' (human) in the land of Dragearans (extremely long lived, high magic powered people organised into families with specific traits). Vlad is an assassin, and quite a down-to-earth one, with a low, sardonic sense of humour. All the books are from his PoV, and very entertaining they are too.

The Paarfi books are completely different stylistically, though set in the same world and dealing for the most part with the same characters. They are written in the style of Alexandre Dumas. Paarfi is the ostensible author of each, and each book includes an introduction from him protesting at the treatment of his historical works, or from a reviewer commenting on his style in highly disparaging tones. Here are some examples:

Chapter 11 of The Phoenix Guards is called "In Which the Plot, Behaving in Much the Manner Of a Soup to which Corn Starch Has been Added, Begins, at Last, to Thicken."

Chapter 31 of The Phoenix Guards is one "In Which The Reader Will, No Doubt, Be As Surprised As Our Heroes to Learn That All is Not Over."

Also from The Phoenix Guards:
"I have more than a care," said Khaavren. "I have a fine piece of skin which is wrapped around all of those charming organs that allow my breath to flow, my blood to pump, and my mind to think. I will, therefore, do my utmost to see that my epidermis finishes this conflict in the same condition in which it began it."

The Paarfi books (called the 'Khaavren Romances') deal mostly with Dragaerans, and are set some 5000 years before the Taltos books. Nevertheless, many of the characters make appearances and are main actors in the Taltos books (which are named for the Houses of the Dragaeran Nobility).

http://en.wikipedia...._Brust#Dragaera
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#5 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:27 PM

I'm more of a Kha'avren fan than a Taltos fan. I may have to reread the Vlad books before picking up his new book.

#6 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:48 PM

yeah, read pretty much all of brust'sstuff untill a couple of years ago.

it can actually be wuite hard to find his work though, at least in the shops.

suppose i could amazon it, but i like going into a bookshop to buy books.

Luddite that I am.
meh. Link was dead :(

#7 User is offline   carnage4u 

• Recruit

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:51 AM

i enjoyed almost all the Taltos books.. Only the one book told from a different main character and the second to newest I didnt enjoy. The rest of the series I found a fun quick read.

#8 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:14 PM

I find his voice the same in all his books, but the writing style differs greatly. The Khaavren Romances style was lifted from Dumas, the Taltoes books are written in a funny 1st person, pessemistic humor, so on. (been a while since I've read his other novels)

I agree his stuff is hard to find in store, I got lucky and came across his first collection of Taltoes books in the store, and then had to order the rest off the net. oddly, over time I have found the original novels very very easy to find in used book stores.

I find him a very enjoyable light fair, and the books are short enough the can make for a nice afternoon if light reading outside.

The new book has shipped for me and am looking forward to polishing off TtH (you know, only 800 pages togo) and reading it.
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#9 User is offline   Ursus 

• Corporal

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:00 PM

I'm a big fan of the Taltos series. As others have mentioned its a real enjoyable relatively easy read.

#10 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:42 PM

So how many of you are trying to hunt down his new book? Do they actually get them in bookstores near you? Or will you wait for the paperback?
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#11 User is offline   Ursus 

• Corporal

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:30 PM

It wont involve much hunting for my part. All the major swedish webshops got all of his works and if i wanted to flip a few pages and smell it before buying it the genre-specialized Science Fiction Bokhandeln (doubt i need to translate that) have a shop in the city i live in. Damn i love Sweden. Hell even the bigger non-specialized stores have all of his books.

#12 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:57 PM

I've not even looked for Jhegaala yet. Will most likely get it from Amazon, though I got Issola from Forbidden Planet, IIRC.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#13 User is offline   Topper 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Psychology (Abnormal Behavior/Personality)
    Languages

Posted 18 July 2008 - 06:25 PM

I thoroughly enjoy the Taltos series but no so much the Khaavren Romances they are too florid and I was not particularly interested in any of the characters, though I have only read the first book.
‘Keep on like that and I’ll drop a rock on your head while you sleep.’

"I'm harmless, the non-violent kind of psycho."

'"If a tree falls in the woods and there is nobody there to hear it, does it makes a sound?"' the answer is an unequivocal "no." The falling tree simply produces waves of energy. The experience of "sound" is a phenomenon of the auditory system.'

#14 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:13 PM

Spoilers Vallista

Spoiler

Also, chapter 8 is caller "Withering Depths". That's gotta be a play on Wuthering Heights, right?

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 13 August 2019 - 07:29 PM

#15 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:22 PM

Absolutely a reference to that. I think he had fun with the big house setup.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#16 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 18 August 2019 - 03:42 PM

View Postamphibian, on 13 August 2019 - 08:22 PM, said:

Absolutely a reference to that. I think he had fun with the big house setup.

According to the Lyorn Records wiki (https://dragaera.fan...#Chapter_titles), all of the chapter titles are literary references. Cool!

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 18 August 2019 - 03:42 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users