Cutter

#1 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:20 AM

Was anyone as surprised as me when Cutter put a hurting on Ralick? We knew he had been getting very good with the knives, but besting Ralick?

#2 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:41 AM

Actually no. Rallick is very good but Cutter learned at the feet of Apsalar who is a Shadow Dancer. Cutter also has a much more personal relationship with Cotillion and some of those skills might have rubbed off. Plus Cutter is younger and that has to make him at least a little bit faster...:D
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:45 AM

To be honest, my opinion of Cutter vastly improved in TtH. He was still untolerably emo, but he handled himself with more confidence and he's certainly deadly.

He'll always have a place in my heart for killing Gorlas. Son of a bitch.

I still didn't liked Erikson just sending him away at the end of the book though, when the main reason for Cutter returning was the feeling of impending doom.

#4 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:36 AM

he can be used in more books now and can really turn up anywhere bar maybe letheras.

Also i though that Cutter was taught how to fight by Kalam? It fits with what Rallick said when he said Cutters style was Malazan and Apsalar is a Shadow Dancer

#5 User is offline   Greymane 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:43 AM

He was going to find Apsalar, wasn't he?

#6 User is offline   Flawed 

• Flawed
  • Group: Team Handsome
  • Interests:winning the lotto
  • Id like some peace....

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:04 PM

I think Cutter was equally as surprised.

Im up to the bit where he has just bumped off Gorlas, for which i am immensly pleased he did. Now i am under the assumption he is off to find Apsalar.

What i thought odd, was how she spoke in his mind and he didnt even flinch. Cutter isnt just an Assasin. Im sure the comapny he has kept, has rubbed off on him some.

Rallick, Kruppe, Baruk, Mappo, Kalam, Fiddler, Incarium, Appsalar, Cottilon, Shadow Throne, the hounds and even Pust. He has been around some amazing people of immense power and resilience.

Add that with all he has done from Walking the Azaths, the path of Hands and the trip to get Apsalar home.

I think the meeting with Rallick was a much needed eye operner for Cutter, himself more then the reader.

Handsome
"I think i was a bad person before. Before this time. I do not try to be good now but i am not bad. Perhaps if i try harder i may get a better hand dealt next time? But surely that makes it pointless? Perhaps i am good. Just good at being pointless. But that would make me bad. Bad at having a point. Ah…. I see now. I was nothing before, I am nothing now. I am bad purely because im pointless. "

EQ 10

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:09 PM

Are you sure Apsalar was speaking to him? Are you sure it wasn't just his image of Apsalar speaking as a part of his subconcious.

I don't think the ability to speak in other peoples minds is a normal ascendant power.

#8 User is offline   Flawed 

• Flawed
  • Group: Team Handsome
  • Interests:winning the lotto
  • Id like some peace....

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:14 PM

No im not sure, it was more how i interpreted the mooment.

Id like to think it was her. He pretty much closed himself off to her and wasnt really himself when gooing to confront Gorlas. These things make me believe and becasue im a hopeless romantic that it was her.
"I think i was a bad person before. Before this time. I do not try to be good now but i am not bad. Perhaps if i try harder i may get a better hand dealt next time? But surely that makes it pointless? Perhaps i am good. Just good at being pointless. But that would make me bad. Bad at having a point. Ah…. I see now. I was nothing before, I am nothing now. I am bad purely because im pointless. "

EQ 10

#9 User is offline   Rat Mentor 

• Captain

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:23 PM

What's a little surprising was the fact that Cottilion didn't sense him and have a little chat....

#10 User is offline   Veilside 

• High Fist

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:42 PM

Rat Mentor;345447 said:

What's a little surprising was the fact that Cottilion didn't sense him and have a little chat....

Specially after telling Apsalar he'd try find him.

#11 User is offline   scabandari 

• Recruit

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:07 AM

yeah but cotillion isn't likely to be one of the most honest people in the book hanging out with ST and he was a little busy what with the hounds getting their asses kicked by envy and spite

#12 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:21 AM

heading off in the ship is what i expected though, he never really seemed comfortable returning to crokus' world and once the threat had been negated (he staretd down so much in the end) he had to follow his heart.

there is also the fact that he has near died on countless occassions, walked the azath, fought soletaken, faced icarums rage, called out to a hound and fought beside a few gods. The he was neatly sliced open, and has a lot of blood on his hands. he was a tool of oponn, as well, and like apsalar i think he gained something from that closeness.

#13 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:33 AM

Veilside;345454 said:

Specially after telling Apsalar he'd try find him.

Dharujistan was a bit of a hotbed of ascendants going rampant - Vorcan, Envy, Spite, and then later Rake, Brood, Karsa, Hood... not exactly a time to pay a comfortable social visit to Cutter. At least, not if you don't value outside interference on your own affairs, or drawing attention to one talented young guy who is still easy to manipulate.

Aside from that, Crokus himself had to realize that he didn't belong in Dharujistan anymore, or he would go to Apsalar out of duty (to her or to Cotillion), not out of love - basically, he needed a shake up or he would have stayed emo.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#14 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:55 AM

spite said she was going to 7c to which he replies close enough. Doesnt really narrow it down (ive never been very good at the malazscale geography) so he could appear on quon tali or more likely a book taking place partly on Malaz island. Apsalars life is now her own so she could turn up anywhere.

Also i dont think Cutters ascending. I think weve been led to beleive Rallicks incredibly good ,ie Cotillions comments i n HOC saying Rallicks abilities were formidable and also Vorcans opinion. However he did struggle to take on ocelot and hs only saving grace really is his invulnerability to magic and whatever else the otaterals done to him. IMO the fact that Kalam, reputedly the best toe to toe knife fighter if not assasin, taught Cutter makes him very good.

#15 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:37 PM

not ascending as such, but i could see him gaining a place in a house for a time... just a hunch.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#16 User is offline   blewin 

• High Fist

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:42 PM

Cutter's return to Darujhistan has finally forced him to see the mistake of his past. His returning to his old name once more, means we can probably expect a good ending between him and Apsalar. At least now, I'm sure Apsalar would accept him and they would each find forgiveness in the other.

What I'm surprised though is that Cutter ended up doing Shadow's work afterall, arriving with a mind to "talk" to Shadowthrone, only to deliver a sword against the Hounds of Light. What was he doing there?? man, that question from him is both funny and ironic.

Now, Cotillion did say he'd find Cutter for Apsalar. He saw Cutter! and yet did nothing.

#17 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:07 PM

Rat Mentor;345447 said:

That didn't surprise me, Cotillion told Apsalar that he had lost his connection to him after Cutter almost died...The only way that Cotillion might have know that he was there was if the Hounds told him, and it seemed as if they were a little busy when they saw him..:D

#18 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:08 PM

blewin;346023 said:

Cutter's return to Darujhistan has finally forced him to see the mistake of his past. His returning to his old name once more, means we can probably expect a good ending between him and Apsalar. At least now, I'm sure Apsalar would accept him and they would each find forgiveness in the other.

What I'm surprised though is that Cutter ended up doing Shadow's work afterall, arriving with a mind to "talk" to Shadowthrone, only to deliver a sword against the Hounds of Light. What was he doing there?? man, that question from him is both funny and ironic.

Now, Cotillion did say he'd find Cutter for Apsalar. He saw Cutter! and yet did nothing.

I don't remember Cotillion seeing Cutter, I remember Cutter seeing the Hounds and the Hounds seeing him. Cotillion arrived at the fight after it was over and Cutter was on his way back to the boat.

#19 User is offline   blewin 

• High Fist

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:45 AM

I was under the impression that Cotillon and Shadowthrone were hiding nearby during the fight. Afterall, where else could they have been? they were already there before Traveller confronted Rake.

#20 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:00 PM

When precisely did Kalam 'teach' Crokus?

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users