• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

PC gone wrong

#1 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:06 PM

I figure this thread can be used anytime an instance comes up of political correctness comes up. Here's the first entry, a boy had all of his birthday party invitations confiscated because his school said he was discriminating against those who were not invited.

http://apnews.myway..../D91K26KG3.html
Error: Signature not valid

#2 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:05 AM

I want to punch that teacher in the cunt.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#3 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:08 AM

Now you're the one being PC! :D:D:D

#4 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:15 AM

Well their was an ad in my country with a black female and white female advertising washing powder. Someone complained it was offensive. It got pulled from the air and a week later it was back up on tv with the roles of each character now swopped between the races

#5 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:20 AM

What were the roles?

#6 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:30 AM

Ooh, how about this. I think it falls under the censor police like P.C. stuff does.

In a neighboring city here, housewives picketed, protested, and wrote op-ed's in the newspaper because the display models in the Victoria Secret store were positioned too lewdly.

Me, I'm unsurprised by the fact that guys weren't involved.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#7 User is offline   Mushroom 

• Banned

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:17 AM

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 03 July 2008 - 04:58 AM

Um, this is not a place to post things that are racist or not PC. It is for instances where PC is taken too far.

#9 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:49 AM

Mushroom;343310 said:

Posted Image

Perchance his meaning was that this picture had been made "unpc" at some point and forgot to add the additional information. Or not.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#10 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:20 AM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;343220 said:

What were the roles?

If I remeber correctly which I might not been a long time. The black female visits her friend the white female. Who decides its a good time to do the washing. While shes doing the watching she explains to the black women that omo is the best washing powder. It keeps whites whiter and colours brighter without the harmful affects of bleech.The black female is amazed and makes sure she will by omo for her own washing machine.

Apparently it was patonizing that a white women should speak about omo to black women so they switched the roles

#11 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:40 AM

A friend of mine that works in social services in Ireland was telling me that they were given instruction on not using words that might cause offence.

Apparently you shouldn't use the word BRAINSTORM when talking about bouncing around ideas, because of a perceived slang association with epilepsy!!!! And if someone who has epilepsy (or knows someone with epilepsy) overheard this they'd be highly offended. I couldn't believe it. But she was serious.

My grandmother used to run a B&B in Ireland, that had a sign in front of it for 40 years which said "Famous in Song and Craic" (it was also written in Irish underneath it). Then out of the blue one day, she had a local woman come in a tell her that they should take down that sign, because tourists might look at the sign and think it was referring to Crack Cocaine!! Yeah, that's clearly what it was saying. Twit. At least my grandmother told her to stop being stupid.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#12 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:41 AM

That seems a little oversensitive.

#13 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:03 PM

True enough RLY. But speaking of oversensitive, a friend of mine was lecturing in a uni in California a few years ago, and he came into the lecture theatre and the students were being moderately rowdy. So to get them to all sit down, he said "All right boys and girls, settle down there". Nothing more than that. And yet the next day he was "spoken to" by the Dean, because some students had taken offence at being referred to as boys and girls and had complained.

He had a few other examples of this stupid oversensitivity and PC gone mad. He was delighted when he came across the following advertising campaign in the UK, and that's how the other stuff came up in conversation.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

- Anonymous

#14 User is offline   Menandore 

• High Fist

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:06 PM

The dean should have told the students to **** off, get a grip and stop wasting his time :D

#15 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:10 PM

@ Menadore. True enough, I think it went along the lines of, look you're not realy in any trouble, but i have to warn you that i've had complaints...etc. Please don't do it again.

But yeah, I'd have been less diplomatic with the students for sure. It amazing how easily people can find offence too when they look for it. That's why he was so excited to see the Yorkie ad's and was looking forward to taking some of the wrappers back with him for a laugh.

- Anonymous

#16 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:14 PM

Reminds me of the stories of towns outlawing Christmas because it's christian and therefore not sensitive to other religions.

Or that mall that had santas laughter changed because saying "HO HO HO" might be offensive to women.

#17 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:59 PM

They're not christmas lights, they're festive decorations!
Horseshit, they're up for christmas, that one annoys me alot.
Heard on the radio on.....tuesday that a survey (read "blantant lie"vey) suggested up to 77% of males in ireland have been sexually harassed.
When a few "experts" were brought in and questions on the statistic, most rubished it, bt the 2 behind the survey tried to justify the claim saying the results didnt lie.
When probed deeper it turned up that the survey suggested any kind of banter involving lewd jokes, suggestive remarks, LOOKS (as in a knowing look) was sexual harassment.
I mean WTF? Every monday at work the topic of conversation is who did what "I saw you with that girl you dirty bastard etc" that is not harassment, its a bit of banter, give and take everyone gets it. People need to grow up, if they arent mature enough to realise what a bit of messing about is they shouldnt be allowed to participate in these studies.
In the bar the majourity of my conversations with the female staff members was dirty jokes suggestive remarks and the like, and they gave as good as they got, if any of the staff hooked up they rightly got ripped on for it.
[urlhttp://www.irishexaminer.com/text/story.asp?j=gbojaugbcwcwauau&p=65x63y8x&n=65063221]linky[/url]
Now I'm not suggesting we go back to the days when women could get nowhere without sleeping with the boss (though lets face it that would be a fantastic solution) but people need to start opperating with a pinch of commonsense when approach pc

#18 User is offline   Mushroom 

• Banned

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:27 PM

Personally I think everyone needs to be honest all the time. Regardless.

#19 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:43 PM

spade=spade?

#20 User is offline   Menandore 

• High Fist

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:46 PM

@ Menadore. True enough, I think it went along the lines of, look you're not realy in any trouble, but i have to warn you that i've had complaints...etc. Please don't do it again.

But yeah, I'd have been less diplomatic with the students for sure. It amazing how easily people can find offence too when they look for it. That's why he was so excited to see the Yorkie ad's and was looking forward to taking some of the wrappers back with him for a laugh.

That dean is part of the problem though because he didn't set those idiot students straight like he should have done, now they will enter into the real grown-up world believing that their behaviour is acceptable and that they should go whining to their superiors everytime someone phrases something in a way that can be twisted into something offensive. Their pathetic whining has been encouraged and they will be the next generation of sad little council workers who make up utterly retarded rules such as banning xmas in case it offends other religions. Uh oh....you got me started. Must stop ranting, must stop ranting....

Yorkies - awsome campaign. Pleasantly surprised they got away with it rather than getting burned at the stake by a bunch of feminists.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users