Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Thoughts on Glastonbury?

#1 User is offline   Fid 

• Old Git of High House Muttley
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:47 AM

So another Glastonbury comes to an end - not the usual headliners - any thoughts - any big moments - any low points?

The weekend for me started strong with both the Editors and Fratellis putting in their usual quality sets full of energy and power. Earlier KT Tunstall set the right tone as the rain fell - a good festival artiste! Not particularly into the Kngs of Leon but their performance seemed strong. Buddy Guy on the Jazz Stage was awesome - a true master at work. Watching Amy Winehouse stay vertical was amusing - but have seen her so much better and less pissed in the past - last year support the Arctic Monkeys - so her decline quite evident. Contrast that to old pro Joan Armatrading - a huge performance that was one of the weekend highlights.

Raconteurs were excellent and from the new bands Vampire Weekend seemed one of the strongest. Will not comment on Jay-Z - theone genre that just turns me off so not on my list of ones to watch. Still got all the Sunday sets to work through, but what I have seen so far, Neil Diamond was a consummate showman and the audience loved it and Goldfrapp was as technically accomplished as ever.

#2 User is offline   Northpennines 

• Recruit

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:27 PM

Jay-Z [the C is silent !] "the only genre to turn you off" - surely not ! what about C & W ?. Thinking about it - [C]rap makes C & W sound good.

#3 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:38 PM

some Country and wobbly is ok, but a lot is crap, most ©rap is crap the occassiobal tune is catchy but most is shonet
I caught a few of the highlights (never been) and amy drugshouse looked and sounded appaling, but having seen her pre massive fame a few years ago i didnt like her music much anyway.
Kings of leon looked good, I saw them at oxegen (mucksagen would be a better title as it nearly always pisses rain) last year and they were one of the highlights, for me only muse were better.
I've been tempted to go to glasto a few times but I'm always put off by the presence of 200,00 twats (no-offense, I love my steroetypes) running around, in wellies thinking they're really mucking it because they're got wellies on and are getting wet at a music festival, how very crass and rad! Plus the whole new age hippyness associatated would by a deterent for me, when I go to a festival its to be a dirty tramp for a few days, get drunk and go mental to my favourite bands, I only go if theres artists I want to see, not just because its "a great festival"
sorry, glasto this year, yeah the coverage only focused on the best bits, and amy, but what i saw most of the big acts carried themselves well, Jay Z was surprisingly competent out of the studio

#4 User is offline   Nagrom 

• Bard
  • Interests:music, music and Malazan

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:51 PM

everyone should go Glasto at least once in their lives :D

#5 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:53 PM

Didn't notice this before. I couldn't go this year unfortunately, but I saw some of the sets on TV. Kings of Leon is generally agnowleded as the best this year, I think. They are awesome live.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#6 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:18 PM

Really? Because they were rubbish on stage at Reading back in 2005. They're as bad as the Killers for standing completely still, pretending they're a CD player, playing their album on random and sounding as lively as one of Tiste's dates.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#7 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:21 PM

Maybe you caught them on a bad day :D I saw them in Manchester and they were excellent.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#8 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:56 PM

They are total shoe gazers. Never move a muscle seen em a few times
I AM A TWAT

#9 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:05 PM

Maybe I just got them on a really good day then :D

#10 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:36 PM

Maybe you saw them when they were stil taking heroin.
I AM A TWAT

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users