• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#7401 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 February 2023 - 01:29 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 07 February 2023 - 01:16 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 07 February 2023 - 10:21 AM, said:

Rumour Mill is a churning on a Midkemia and Kelewan adaptation in the works

Let's hope more LOTR trilogy or The Last of Us and less Legend of the Seeker or Rings of Power ... :hope:

Agreed.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7402 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 February 2023 - 04:41 PM

So I finally have access to HBO's Watchmen (or why police brutality is ok if it's against white supremacists) and have viewed the first two episodes. Dang it's pretty good. Been so long since I read the graphic novels so I think some of the throwbacks have passed me by (though huzzah for raining squid and blue penis!)

Really hooked though and I have no idea who the old man with the servants is. Maybe Ozymandias?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7403 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 February 2023 - 07:09 PM

Netflix and Hirokazu Kore-eda's THE MAKANAI: COOKING FOR THE MAIKO HOUSE (based on the manga and anime Kiyo in Kyoto: From the Maiko House) is heart-warming AF and really really good. But I mean I expected no less from Kore-eda, considering he's been a Jury Prize, Palm D'or winner among many other accolades for what is essentially compelling slice of life media...but yeah, if you want something relaxing and uncomplicated....this is for you.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7404 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 22 February 2023 - 05:58 PM

I just found out (several years after the fact) that Amazon's Culture adaptation was canned:

https://www.theguard...es-is-cancelled

Disappointing!

#7405 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 February 2023 - 06:47 PM

Super disappointing. Hopefully something will see the light one day.

#7406 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 February 2023 - 03:08 PM

Let's hope more LOTR trilogy or The Last of Us and less Legend of the Seeker or Rings of Power ... :hope:

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 February 2023 - 01:29 PM, said:

Agreed.

Dunno guys... seems like a property destined for Wheel of Time level at best.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7407 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 February 2023 - 04:05 PM

I really loved S1 of the WOT adaptation, so I'm fine with that.

#7408 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 March 2023 - 03:45 PM

Remaking a Cronenberg classic? You have my interest.

Casting Rachel Weisz in the dual lead role? NOW you have my attention!

This story is not for the faint of heart, this is deep psychological horror...but it's one of Cronenberg more fascinating works and well worth watching if you've not seen it.

#7409 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 March 2023 - 01:55 PM

Yellowstone's supposed right-wing bias made me reluctant to watch it, so this is interesting:

'[to] accusations that Yellowstone and its spinoffs are aimed at Republicans, Sheridan responded incredulously. “The show’s talking about the displacement of Native Americans and the way Native American women were treated, and about corporate greed and the gentrification of the West, and land-grabbing. That’s a red-state show?” On those rare occasions when he has discussed his politics, it is clear enough that Sheridan—who infamously referred to Trump as “that motherfucker” in 2017, calling for [Trump's impeachment—seems to view his work as an ongoing critique of structural racism, misogyny, and the economic status quo. [...]

[...] Sheridan’s world offers something that the mainstream American left and the mainstream American right each sorely lack: a positive conception of human purpose that is tethered to an equally coherent conception of authority. Sheridan’s protagonists are [...] frequently unethical, and invariably tribalistic. [...]

For both the Duttons and the shows’ Indigenous characters, there are only a few meaningful sources of obligation and authority: the tribe, the family, and the land. [...] the duties themselves—and the authority they stem from—are almost never in question. And it is here, in its valorization of authority, that we might locate the key to the pan-political enthusiasm for the Yellowstone universe.

[...] what both [left and right in the US] share is a conception of freedom [...] called “negative liberty.” [...] the absence of constraints on one’s behavior. [...]

[...] Negative liberty places a heavy burden on the modern individual, who must decide for themselves who they are, what they want, and how they should live. It is this burden that characters in the Yellowstone universe[...] do not have to shoulder, precisely because they are immersed in meaningful communities that provide ready-made answers to these questions. [...]

[...] defined by their submission to a worthy authority: [...] what’s good for the cattle [slaughtering them is obviously very good for them] and what’s good for the land; [...] the familial duty that cannot be shirked. The heroes in this world are faced with endless physical hardships, but they are spared the hardship of uncertainty, indecision, or insecurity about their identity.

[...] a prevailing political culture—on both sides of the aisle—that is (often rightly) so busy worrying about what we need freedom from that it rarely stops to ask what makes a free life worth living in the first place.'

Yellowstone, 1923, 1883: Why everyone keeps fighting over these shows' politics.

... my conclusion is that I'm still going to put it far back on my 'to (maybe) watch eventually' list because I don't like its politics (if it were great enough art I might watch it regardless, but I doubt it is...).

#7410 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 March 2023 - 03:11 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 02 March 2023 - 01:55 PM, said:

Yellowstone's supposed right-wing bias made me reluctant to watch it, so this is interesting:

'[to] accusations that Yellowstone and its spinoffs are aimed at Republicans, Sheridan responded incredulously. “The show’s talking about the displacement of Native Americans and the way Native American women were treated, and about corporate greed and the gentrification of the West, and land-grabbing. That’s a red-state show?”

I mean, jeezus this is evident from the damned pilot. Like the whole first arc of the show is about these facts. As a non-American I cannot fathom how anyone could miss it and think this was a right-winger show.

I DO think that the show likely does the same thing BREAKING BAD and THE BOYS did....in that they presented a main character (or characters) who are flawed and are not meant to be admired by any stretch of the imagination, but they are admired nonetheless. FFS John Dutton, Walter White, and Homelander are different faces of the same damned coin. You are not meant to see them as any type of hero....but a portion o the audience seems to want to.

Maybe we need less ambiguous villains and heroes these days? I dunno.

#7411 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 March 2023 - 03:26 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 March 2023 - 03:11 PM, said:

'[to] accusations that Yellowstone and its spinoffs are aimed at Republicans, Sheridan responded incredulously. "The show's talking about the displacement of Native Americans and the way Native American women were treated, and about corporate greed and the gentrification of the West, and land-grabbing. That's a red-state show?"

I mean, jeezus this is evident from the damned pilot. Like the whole first arc of the show is about these facts. As a non-American I cannot fathom how anyone could miss it and think this was a right-winger show.

I DO think that the show likely does the same thing BREAKING BAD and THE BOYS did....in that they presented a main character (or characters) who are flawed and are not meant to be admired by any stretch of the imagination, but they are admired nonetheless. FFS John Dutton, Walter White, and Homelander are different faces of the same damned coin. You are not meant to see them as any type of hero....but a portion o the audience seems to want to.

Not hard to imagine some of my redneck relatives watching the horrible mistreatment of Native Americans (or other non-whites---or non-thems...) and thinking 'that looks like fun'.

#7412 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 March 2023 - 03:32 PM

Yousonofabitch I'm in.

Looks like ARCHER on speedballs with a stacked cast.

#7413 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 March 2023 - 04:24 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 02 March 2023 - 03:26 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 March 2023 - 03:11 PM, said:

'[to] accusations that Yellowstone and its spinoffs are aimed at Republicans, Sheridan responded incredulously. "The show's talking about the displacement of Native Americans and the way Native American women were treated, and about corporate greed and the gentrification of the West, and land-grabbing. That's a red-state show?"

Not hard to imagine some of my redneck relatives watching the horrible mistreatment of Native Americans (or other non-whites---or non-thems...) and thinking 'that looks like fun'.

Echoing QT... i'm stumped how anyone would watch the show and think it was hard right. It's overtly, even bluntly, anti-big business, and pro-Indigenous, pro-women. There are also anti-big gov and pro/anti-landlord elements, and well... guns, (and even abortion for one VERY contentious plotline) but at most that swings the show towards the middle, not far right by any stretch.

There's a huge chunk of tv watchers who cite SOUTH PARK as 'getting it right' every time the Cartman character does almost anything, so we're not exactly dealing w the finest minds.

#7414 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 March 2023 - 04:25 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 March 2023 - 03:32 PM, said:

Yousonofabitch I'm in.

Looks like ARCHER on speedballs with a stacked cast.

I know exactly nothing about this beyond the pic in this post, and i'm in.

#7415 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 March 2023 - 05:38 PM

View PostAbyss, on 02 March 2023 - 04:24 PM, said:

There's a huge chunk of tv watchers who cite SOUTH PARK as 'getting it right' every time the Cartman character does almost anything, so we're not exactly dealing w the finest minds.

'New York Times [columnist ...] Ross Douthat asserted [...] Sheridan is producing conservative content that is squarely aligned against "blue-state outsiders," [...] For viewers like Douthat, the Yellowstone universe is one big traditionalist romance, offering the ranch's "masculine freedom [...]"'

Yeah, that checks out. Douthat's column is generally idiocy in pseudo-intellectual wrapping. But just for laughs I'll take a glance...

'argue that in creating John Dutton [...] Sheridan was just [...] inviting his audience to experience the familiar pleasures of the western while fundamentally standing in judgment on the white male patriarchy's sins.

Maybe that's what he intended, but the show doesn't play that way: Sheridan just likes Dutton and his world and way of life too much. [...] Yes, he commits the occasional murder to protect his family and his land. (But don't be naïve, sometimes that's just what leaders do.)'

lol

'True, those older prestige shows were never fully successful in pulling their audiences back from the dangerous attraction their antiheroes generated [...] But those fans were actually misreading those shows, whereas a fan who prefers Dutton and his family to their would-be successors is just reading "Yellowstone" correctly.

[...] appropriating some of the anti-modern energy in contemporary left-wing politics — especially the notion that Indigenous ways of knowing are superior to technocracy — mixing it with rural white resentment of the liberal city and forging a united front against the future, a pan-ethnic reaction.

But not a Christian reaction, notably.'

Oh no! lol. Better git out there and convert 'em!

'The Christianity of the white settler past is treated, effectively, as the same sort of thing as the neoliberalism of the rich-Californian present — a universalizing, "civilizing" vision that bulldozes the freedom of the natural man.

Thus does "Yellowstone" enter contemporary disputes within American conservatism, which finds itself increasingly wrestling with a kind of Nietzschean, vitalist challenge to the old fusion of tweedy constitutionalism and conservative Christianity. [...] It defends patriarchal authority in small kingdoms against multinational forms of power. [...] It's a right-wing show — for a pagan right.'

Oh so it's more like:

'While he's tried to maintain an air of mystery, multiple sources have identified BAP [Bronze Age Pervert] as Costin Vlad Alamariu, a Yale University political science PhD [...]

[...] Bronze Age Mindset (BAM), a book-length "exhortation" purporting to "draw back the curtain on this Iron Prison and show you where it is you really live."

He soon became an underground hit among right-wing thought leaders.

[...] clandestinely circulating among young male staffers in the Trump White House. [...]

[...] Standing athwart the tyranny of the bugman is the titular Bronze Age Mindset, which is "to be worshiped as a god!"

[...] The BAMs will "wipe away this corrupt civilization," and justice will become the will of the stronger. Alamariu writes that his vision of justice is for predatory zoo animals to be "unleashed by the dozens, hundreds… the buildings smashed to pieces, the cries of the human bug shearing through the streets as the lord of beasts returns."

[...] speculates that the New Testament was "written by a Jewish woman, as a parody of Greek tragedy," and criticizes Christians (and Jews) for "suppressing the natural spirit of man." The nicest thing he has to say about Christianity is that offending its believers is "stupid" when they have the same enemy.'

[...] "in the spiritual war for the hearts and minds of the disaffected youth on the right, conservatism is losing. BAPism is winning."'

How 'Bronze Age Pervert' Seduced Right-Wing Thought Leaders

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 02 March 2023 - 06:27 PM

#7416 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 March 2023 - 06:16 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 02 March 2023 - 05:38 PM, said:

y'know... it's ok to just reply to a post without a cutpaste salad that's hard if not impossible to distinguish from whatever it is you were trying to add to the discussion.

#7417 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 March 2023 - 06:30 PM

View PostAbyss, on 02 March 2023 - 06:16 PM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 02 March 2023 - 05:38 PM, said:

y'know... it's ok to just reply to a post without a cutpaste salad that's hard if not impossible to distinguish from whatever it is you were trying to add to the discussion.

Edited for greater clarity... I could try bolding my commentary as well (in case the difference between the right-wing insanity and my snide commentary on it still isn't clear enough).

#7418 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 March 2023 - 06:35 PM

I'll be really honest, I've never been able to discern what's word salad copy-pasta from a news site and what's your commentary and I always sort of guess.

You could try just posting JUST the relevant link and then your commentary and we can go to the link and read what you're talking about? I dunno.

#7419 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 March 2023 - 11:44 PM

Wow I thought with a nerd board like this, people would be a lot more keen on puzzle-solving.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7420 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 March 2023 - 11:12 AM

View Postworry, on 02 March 2023 - 11:44 PM, said:

Wow I thought with a nerd board like this, people would be a lot more keen on puzzle-solving.

We’re all too old for that these days Worry.

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users