• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#6621 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 July 2021 - 07:06 PM

Rick and Morty is back for a new season. Was not aware and missed the first episode of the season. Will be looking for it.

Is there a show that is more fantastical in the wacky sci-fi ideas it puts forth in its programming? Please point it of if there is.

#6622 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 03 July 2021 - 08:13 AM

Last episode of Inside no.9 was just weird. Bit of a flaky finish to what was otherwise a fantastic season.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6623 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 July 2021 - 01:13 PM

I have now watched the first 5 seasons of SUPERSTORE 2 times through. I love this show. And I'd like to say that without a DOUBT the best character on the show is Bo Derek Thompson. Why he wasn't a more regular cast member is beyond me. He's the funniest damn guy ever and you knew if he showed up you were getting some top shelf comedy. I've begun to do his airhorn noises around my wife. LOL
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6624 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 05 July 2021 - 05:30 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 July 2021 - 01:13 PM, said:

I have now watched the first 5 seasons of SUPERSTORE 2 times through. I love this show. And I'd like to say that without a DOUBT the best character on the show is Bo Derek Thompson. Why he wasn't a more regular cast member is beyond me. He's the funniest damn guy ever and you knew if he showed up you were getting some top shelf comedy. I've begun to do his airhorn noises around my wife. LOL

I agree I love this show and there is something hilarious about idiot characters like him (see also Jean Ralphio in Parks and Rec) he's so annoying but so funny!

There is so much to love about the show - the Mateo/Cheyenne team-ups, Garrett's laziness, Brett, Everything to do with Sandra... Might have to watch it again, hoping they put the final season on Netflix soon.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6625 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 July 2021 - 05:39 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 05 July 2021 - 05:30 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 July 2021 - 01:13 PM, said:

I agree I love this show and there is something hilarious about idiot characters like him (see also Jean Ralphio in Parks and Rec) he's so annoying but so funny!

There is so much to love about the show - the Mateo/Cheyenne team-ups, Garrett's laziness, Brett, Everything to do with Sandra... Might have to watch it again, hoping they put the final season on Netflix soon.

Agreed. My only problem with the show is that they made me love the Jonah/Kelly matchup too much for me to EVER buy the Jonah/Amy matchup.

My fave Sandra moment is on the ep where Glenn makes everyone buy Jerusha's crafts and he screams at them in the break room and then Sandra doesn't get moving fast enough and he goes "You move your ass!" and throws out her lunch and she goes "Oh no, my medicine was in there, I mix it in to try to trick myself to take it!"....LMAO

My wife loves Cheyanne's hysterical giggle laugh that she does when she's stressed out.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6626 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 July 2021 - 08:42 PM

Making a strong recommendation to jump on this season of Rick and Morty (season 5). Episode 2 - Mortiplicity has to be up there with the best the series has put out.

Asimov Cascade! And don't miss the end of credits scene!

https://www.youtube....h?v=4frJxfrj_88

The episode could be turned into a movie if they wanted to take it into that territory. Which got me to thinking, has there ever been talk of a Rick and Morty movie?

#6627 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 07 July 2021 - 02:17 AM

Does a bear shit in the woods? Sure, more than likely.

But so does Bryson DeChambeau, because he's in the woods looking for his ball all evening. Posted Image

#6628 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 07 July 2021 - 05:27 PM

So Asimov foundation is being made into a tv show by apple. I’m excited but the trailer doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the books as I remember them.

#6629 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 July 2021 - 05:50 PM

View PostCause, on 07 July 2021 - 05:27 PM, said:

So Asimov foundation is being made into a tv show by apple. I’m excited but the trailer doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the books as I remember them.

The new trailer? They look to be giving me the heavy hit board points of the books to me...

#6630 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 July 2021 - 05:22 PM

Full disclosure: I know very little about The Office. During its run I maybe caught a brief snippet here and there while channel surfing.

<><><><><><><><><>

So I watched the pilot episode of The Office. It may have been the unfunniest 1/2 hour of television I've ever watched. Does it get better? I looked the show up on epguides.com and it had a nine season run, so there must have been something about the show that allowed for that longevity? The pilot was terrible so it has to get better, right? Is it of a time/era and was funny in 2005 when it started but hasn't aged well? It's one of the most popularly streamed shows, right? (is that accurate?) In this pilot episode there are some bits that I don't think have aged well and would have been problematic in a post #MeToo / cancel culture landscape. That doesn't bother me though (I still love movies like Tropic Thunder that I suspect would never get the green-light today). Boorish behavior is fertile territory for jokes, but there is nothing about Steve Carrell's character in the pilot that moved the funny meter for me. The only thing that ticked the meter a bit was the stapler in the jello mold joke. Ellie Kemper as the receptionist was probably the best part but her sad aura, due to working for a jerk boss and the brief scene where her fiance (of three years) visits, just left me depressed. This was the pilot episode, and as pilots go they can be horrible. So does it get better? Should I try episodes 2, 3, 4...?

<><><><><><><><>

TL:DR Pilot episode of The Office is bad, does it get better?

#6631 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 08 July 2021 - 05:40 PM

Yes it gets vastly better. Seasons 2-7 are mostly top notch and have produced some superb comedy TV moments. The problem with season 1 is that they have copied, at times verbatim, the British version.

Which I love but is not everyone's type of humour and also really doesn't translate that well to the American audience. So by season 2 I think they found their stride as a unique entity more and while keeping the format, tried to branch out and do it their own way rather than just doing a poor imitation of a far superior original.

The result is something that looks like the source material but is it's own entity and I really appreciate both versions for their own things.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6632 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 08 July 2021 - 05:44 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 08 July 2021 - 05:22 PM, said:

Full disclosure: I know very little about The Office. During its run I maybe caught a brief snippet here and there while channel surfing.

<><><><><><><><><>

So I watched the pilot episode of The Office. It may have been the unfunniest 1/2 hour of television I've ever watched. Does it get better? I looked the show up on epguides.com and it had a nine season run, so there must have been something about the show that allowed for that longevity? The pilot was terrible so it has to get better, right? Is it of a time/era and was funny in 2005 when it started but hasn't aged well? It's one of the most popularly streamed shows, right? (is that accurate?) In this pilot episode there are some bits that I don't think have aged well and would have been problematic in a post #MeToo / cancel culture landscape. That doesn't bother me though (I still love movies like Tropic Thunder that I suspect would never get the green-light today). Boorish behavior is fertile territory for jokes, but there is nothing about Steve Carrell's character in the pilot that moved the funny meter for me. The only thing that ticked the meter a bit was the stapler in the jello mold joke. Ellie Kemper as the receptionist was probably the best part but her sad aura, due to working for a jerk boss and the brief scene where her fiance (of three years) visits, just left me depressed. This was the pilot episode, and as pilots go they can be horrible. So does it get better? Should I try episodes 2, 3, 4...?

<><><><><><><><>

I believe this is a pretty average reaction to the beginnings of the Office? Its been a while since my initial run through of the show (I was not watching it when it ran week to week) but I think I wasn't impressed by the first several episodes either. More than a few people say it takes a good handful of episodes to really find its footing. Steve Carell's character isn't all that funny immediately, imo. He does improve a good bit. The receptionist in the first one or two seasons is Pam Beasley, played by Jenna Fischer. Ellie Kemper comes along later, I'm almost positive. Overall, the Office is a pretty great show. There are some eps I will pass on and there are some that I will watch every time, they are that funny. Its worth giving it several more eps.

#6633 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 July 2021 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for the feedback and clarification guys. It was a missed opportunity by me because the first half of season 1 (or something close) was running on (I think) the IFC linear cable channel. When I saw the description 'pilot' I thought why not, lets get on at the ground floor of this and see what the first episode is like. I only watched the pilot though and none of the others. Hopefully they bring it back around and do that again. I think all the episodes are streaming on Peacock +? I'm not going to pay for that though. I know Comedy Central shows episodes, but they are not in any specific order, as far as I can tell (by season for example). I might watch a few now on CC. Are there any specific episodes that are examples of the best the series offers I should look out for?

#6634 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 09 July 2021 - 03:35 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 08 July 2021 - 05:22 PM, said:

<><><><><><><><><>

<><><><><><><><>

It’s a garbage show. I gave it a good solid try and forced through a few series during lockdown. Not funny in the slightest

#6635 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 09 July 2021 - 08:49 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 08 July 2021 - 07:10 PM, said:

Thanks for the feedback and clarification guys. It was a missed opportunity by me because the first half of season 1 (or something close) was running on (I think) the IFC linear cable channel. When I saw the description 'pilot' I thought why not, lets get on at the ground floor of this and see what the first episode is like. I only watched the pilot though and none of the others. Hopefully they bring it back around and do that again. I think all the episodes are streaming on Peacock +? I'm not going to pay for that though. I know Comedy Central shows episodes, but they are not in any specific order, as far as I can tell (by season for example). I might watch a few now on CC. Are there any specific episodes that are examples of the best the series offers I should look out for?

For what it's worth as an overall, Parks and Rec is a much better show.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6636 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 July 2021 - 03:34 PM

Parks and Recreation is excellent. I got on board about halfway through its run though, so seasons 1-3 (maybe 4) I would like to check out. Same for Community.

#6637 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 09 July 2021 - 03:50 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 09 July 2021 - 08:49 AM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 08 July 2021 - 07:10 PM, said:

For what it's worth as an overall, Parks and Rec is a much better show.

Parks & Rec = my third favourite show, after Futurama on nr. 2 and Farscape on nr. 1.

Also, for a good office setting entertainment, try the classic "Office Space", from '98. It is a thoroughly enjoyable movie!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#6638 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 09 July 2021 - 10:00 PM

Community is up there with the all time best comedies ever (along with Scrubs imnsho). Parks and Rec not far behind. The Office has some superb moments and some utterly hilarious laugh out loud episodes but the quality takes a sharp dive after season 7 when Steve Carrell left. It ends well but it becomes a bit of a slog getting there towards the end.

I agree with Prim, Office Space is great, and there are some homages to it in the original UK version of The Office...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6639 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 July 2021 - 08:30 PM

In the same vein as The Office, Parks & Rec, Community et al. Is 30 Rock any good? That's another one I know very little about, and haven't seen one episode of.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 11 July 2021 - 08:31 PM

#6640 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 11 July 2021 - 10:01 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 11 July 2021 - 08:30 PM, said:

In the same vein as The Office, Parks & Rec, Community et al. Is 30 Rock any good? That's another one I know very little about, and haven't seen one episode of.

I liked 30 Rock and Tina Fey is obviously great. It's a good cast and lots of fun but not as iconic somehow, IMO. I watched it once, loved it lots but aren't that fussed about seeing it again...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic