• You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#6161 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:19 AM

View Postparan falcon, on 31 July 2020 - 05:28 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 30 July 2020 - 04:40 AM, said:

Okay, that Forged in Fire might have been the best one yet. Very cool. Tests I don't think they have ever done before. Eliminations based solely on "fit and finish", and though it wasn't part of the "Beat the Judges" series, the final was against David Baker. In bringing out David Baker, they covered a bit of his resume as a edged weapons maker. Damn, Baker has some feathers in his cap, for sure. It's weird seeing J. Neilson and Ben Abbott judging at the same time, they are always rotating for that third spot during regular episodes. Anyway, a great (maybe the greatest) episode of Forged in Fire.

I'm hoping I just missed the reference in earlier shows because I was pleasantly surprised when Wil said that David Baker has made every model weapon for the final challenges all this time. DAMN! That made Super Champs victory over Baker even more impressive. Yes, one of the best eps of the show ever, without doubt.

When David Baker broke his first attempted blade (which was damascus multi layer) and decided to incorporate that failure into a new build, and he alluded to that it should make for an interesting design, I was like, holy shit, this guy is next level. Also, David Baker's personal style is beyond reproach.

#6162 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:52 PM

Seems like tonight's Forged in Fire might be another beaut. Here's the description:

"The Boateng Saber"

In this first-ever pay-to-play competition, smiths must fork over forge funds to use the necessary tools; after two smiths are left bankrupt, the remaining two return home to re-create the most expensive sword ever sold, the Boateng Saber.

I mean, it could fall flat, but I like that they have at least realized the format was getting stale and seem to be trying new things with recent episodes.

#6163 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:32 PM

I would like to try this out, but I'm not sure where to find "HBO Max." Is that the same as HBO Now / HBO OnDemand / HBO Go / HBO hbo / HBO HBO-hbo?

#6164 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:07 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 07 August 2020 - 03:32 PM, said:

I would like to try this out, but I'm not sure where to find "HBO Max." Is that the same as HBO Now / HBO OnDemand / HBO Go / HBO hbo / HBO HBO-hbo?

Yes, only different.

HBO's move to streaming has been such a ridiculous shitshow.
And it irks me how the whole mess is keeping DCU out of Canada.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6165 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:09 PM

Sigh, Big Brother Season 22 (All Stars)....my wife roped me into this show 12 fucking years ago...and here we still are...
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6166 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:51 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 August 2020 - 05:09 PM, said:

Sigh, Big Brother Season 22 (All Stars)....my wife roped me into this show 12 fucking years ago...and here we still are...

Is it time to extract you QT?
Are you bringing your kids? ...we need to know how many new IDs to set up.

#6167 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:13 PM

View PostAbyss, on 07 August 2020 - 05:51 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 August 2020 - 05:09 PM, said:

Is it time to extract you QT?
Are you bringing your kids? ...we need to know how many new IDs to set up.

Blink twice for yes...

Jeez, QT, I've heard of guilty pleasures but that's a whole new level...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#6168 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 07 August 2020 - 11:03 PM

Wit everything that’s happened in 2020 I thought I was immune to shock.

Damn QT.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#6169 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 August 2020 - 11:31 PM

It’s a show that my wife has watched for 20 years and I’m not sure how I got roped into it...it’s tedious.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6170 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 08 August 2020 - 01:35 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 August 2020 - 11:31 PM, said:

It’s a show that my wife has watched for 20 years and I’m not sure how I got roped into it

Emotional blackmail? ;)

Have you tried making vomiting noises or faking your own death?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#6171 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 08 August 2020 - 02:20 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 08 August 2020 - 01:35 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 August 2020 - 11:31 PM, said:

It’s a show that my wife has watched for 20 years and I’m not sure how I got roped into it

Emotional blackmail? ;)

Have you tried making vomiting noises or faking your own death?

Oh did you want us to fake your death?
It's a bit more work intensive but your policy covers it, let me know by 0300, I need to requisition the blowfish.

#6172 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:42 PM

Started watching Westworld season 3. Four episodes in (1/2 way point) and I have to say, it has held my attention way more than season 2 did. I picked up where I left off with season 2 and finished that, but it was a labor to finish that up. With season 3, the first episode was pretty badass. The episodes following have sort of wavered a bit (to bring me to the 1/2 season mark). It seems to be collecting the key players for a final battle and there seems to be a lot of moving parts they are attempting to juggle, and they are getting loosey-goosey with some highfalutin human consciousness / existentialism concepts. Don't want to say more for risk of spoilers, but so far I have enjoyed it overall (much more than season 2 at this point). I will continue on, and more importantly I want to continue on. I hope back half of S3 doesn't disappoint.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 08 August 2020 - 08:44 PM

#6173 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 August 2020 - 07:10 PM

awww sheeeyeauhhh! Sept. 27, bizznawtches!

#6174 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:21 AM

Hell yeah:

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#6175 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:43 PM

We finished Season 2 of THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY last night and we really enjoyed this season. People who didn't get a LOT to do last season (Ben, Luther, Allison, and even Reginald) got their own longer and more in depth storylines this season, while the others still stayed in the picture to large degrees. Actually, I feel the writing as an ensemble piece was better this season simply because everyone felt important to the plot. The music/soundtrack was once again, PHENOMENAL.

Oh, and one Toronto location (most of S2 was shot in Hamilton because Hamilton has a....1960's/rundown vibe) that featured on many episodes was a place we'd considered having our wedding at way back when. When it popped up we were both like "I recognize that place!"

Love this show. Hope that there is a Season 3!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 12 August 2020 - 03:53 PM

#6176 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 August 2020 - 11:02 PM

How to solve your Big Brother problem:
1) Win head of household.
2) Win power of veto.
3) With ultimate power (HoH & PoV), you get to decide what stupid shit to watch. Probably some corny dating show with broke ass hoes.

You're welcome. I'll expect the check in the mail for my advice/therapy to be post marked no later then end of month. Also, would appreciate recommendations of my powerful therapeutic services to your friends and family.

#6177 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 August 2020 - 11:40 AM

Just started Lucifer Season 5. Let's see how this goes ...

#6178 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 August 2020 - 08:37 AM

Started watching AFTER LIFE, predominantly on QT's recommendation (among others) and it's pretty funny of rather bleak at present. Liberal unnecessary use of the C-word aside, I think it's going to be one that draws you in and really makes you care about the people in it.

Finished watching CURSED.
It was good, but it wasn't. It was... I dunno, the acting was on the whole pretty dire and the whole thing was melodrama without actually being that intriguing but at the same time I enjoyed watching it. Hard to explain but I dunno. It was pretty naff (some bits were cringeworthy!) but at the same time I reckon I'd watch the second season if they made one. Pym was the best character in it by far I hope they give her more to do in S2.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6179 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 24 August 2020 - 01:36 PM

Well I finished AFTER LIFE season 1, QT was right it is outstanding. Funny, dark, full of hope and light through darkness (heavy atheist content notwithstanding ;)) Starting season 2 tonight!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6180 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 24 August 2020 - 02:41 PM

Just finished DETECTORISTS.

Really sweet-natured little "slice of life" comedy. Written by Mackenzie Crook (off The Office etc), starring him and Toby Jones as the main characters.

It's not rolling on the floor funny, it's quite understated and sparse but it's beautifully written so it all works.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 24 August 2020 - 02:43 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users