• You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#8421 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 April 2021 - 03:55 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 April 2021 - 12:39 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 26 April 2021 - 07:17 AM, said:

6 eps into Rutherford Falls and I'm enjoying it. Ed Helms is Ed Helms, for better and worse, but the rest of the cast is aces. The writing's not really joke a minute like other Mike Schur shows, but I have laughed several times each episode even if it's at a more gentle pace. Jana Schmieding is really funny and super adorable, reminds me a bit of Merritt Wever in her comic mannerisms. Anyway, it's on Peacock (lol) so I don't know how many people are even gonna see it, but it's there if you've already watched AP Bio, the surprisingly good Saved by the Bell reboot, and the literally nothing else this service has to offer.

Peacock is where Fonda Lee's JADE CITY tv show is happening...so I'm jazzed about that whenever it drops.

Not familiar with it aside from its reputation, but that's cool. Apparently they're also bringing back BSG and it's not a reboot, it's further same-continuity? Okie dokie!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8422 User is online   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 April 2021 - 06:58 PM

Continuing my rewatch of X-files. I've just started episode 11, season 1.

At this point I'm watching this mostly out of how bizarre the production is. Some scenes are good but a lot of the footage is just bad. It's like I'm watching the B- movie version of the X-files I remember.

Some of the locations just look like a student project, filming a teacher in a lab coat in the school library. And the dialogue is so weird. Like, a little 8 year old girl just used the word exanguination in a sentence.

Edit: oh, wait no, this particular girl was just fucked up.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 27 April 2021 - 07:12 PM

#8423 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 27 April 2021 - 07:52 PM

View PostAptorian, on 27 April 2021 - 06:58 PM, said:

Continuing my rewatch of X-files. I've just started episode 11, season 1.

At this point I'm watching this mostly out of how bizarre the production is. Some scenes are good but a lot of the footage is just bad. It's like I'm watching the B- movie version of the X-files I remember.

Some of the locations just look like a student project, filming a teacher in a lab coat in the school library. And the dialogue is so weird. Like, a little 8 year old girl just used the word exanguination in a sentence.

Edit: oh, wait no, this particular girl was just fucked up.

I mean, remember that this show debuted its first season in 1993 (nearly 30 years ago). For comparison, when I was a youth in the 90's, it would be the difference between shows then and shows from the early 60's.

MOST shows that aren't sitcoms had this level of production value at the time. TV wasn't the prestige thing it is now...even the more prestige networks like HBO didn't have insane budgets in the 80's and 90's.

And this is especially why shows like Star Trek TNG and DS9 benefited from clean, stationary future sets and the occasional matte painting for a long establishing shot and variedspace scenes. They still are easily watched and enjoyed becuase of how hidden the "era" is.

X-FILES is a wholly different animal being shot in dreary 90's Vancouver (at least for the lions share of the seasons) and having to contend upon a re-watch with the dated nature of the era it was made in. And the budget was an abysmal amount until the last few seasons. This was a FOX show after all...they hold the purse strings TIGHT, and not until X-FILES became a monster hit did they loosen them, and even then most of the budget went into wardrobe and effects.

That said, there are GREAT episodes in each season that warrant the re-watch even with the hokier nature of how it looks. I did a re-watch before the new seasons dropped a few years back, and found much to enjoy. The first season is EASILY the weakest though.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#8424 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 28 April 2021 - 04:08 PM

So we finished SHADOW AND BONE and we loved it! Really enjoyable, great group of characters (each of the mains seemed well casted and I especially liked the chemistry between the three Crows). While I loved Nina as a character, her arc could have possibly been completely cut from the show without making too much difference plot wise but I am glad she was there.

It sets itself up for a second season nicely and I imagine they'll get it. It's a nice, more family friendly counterpoint to The Witcher.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#8425 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:44 PM

Iím on ep 3 or maybe 4 of a show called Shadow and Bone on Netflix. Itís not bad but Iím really disoriented with the locations of everything and have no real grasp of the world but it was good up until I stopped a few days ago when it became
Spoiler

Will likely finish.

No rush.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#8426 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 28 April 2021 - 10:54 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 28 April 2021 - 04:08 PM, said:

So we finished SHADOW AND BONE and we loved it! Really enjoyable, great group of characters (each of the mains seemed well casted and I especially liked the chemistry between the three Crows). While I loved Nina as a character, her arc could have possibly been completely cut from the show without making too much difference plot wise but I am glad she was there.

It sets itself up for a second season nicely and I imagine they'll get it. It's a nice, more family friendly counterpoint to The Witcher.

I was hooked with how tight ep1 was in terms of setting up the cast, giving you just enough exposition to understand the world and quickly moving through the action. Looking forward to wrapping this one up.

#8427 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 28 April 2021 - 11:21 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 28 April 2021 - 04:08 PM, said:

So the Crows (No Mourners, No Funerals) main story from the books has not happened yet...this is sort of a prequel to get them there in a later season. Nina will make more sense later.

Glad you enjoyed it!

View PostBriar King, on 28 April 2021 - 08:44 PM, said:

Iím on ep 3 or maybe 4 of a show called Shadow and Bone on Netflix. Itís not bad but Iím really disoriented with the locations of everything and have no real grasp of the world but it was good up until I stopped a few days ago when it became
Spoiler

Will likely finish.

No rush.

Itís the Grishaverse books!

The magic school thing is brief, so donít worry about that.

Itís basically fantasy pre-Soviet Russia (Ravka), Ketterdam (Amsterdam), Fjerda (Finland/Norway), Novyi Zem (The USA, but all POC), Shu Han (China), and fantasy Russia has been split in half by a big magical shadow sea that makes it weak to its enemies (like Fjerda, who think Ravka is all witches who need exterminated). The king is ineffectual, and the kingdom is ruled over by the darkling who commands shadow magic.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#8428 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 29 April 2021 - 02:13 AM

Never heard of it but I ll be happy if it leaves that over done horseshit behind quickly.

#8429 User is online   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:52 AM

I really enjoyed it, as did Laura. She more than me actually. Great fun, great casting and set design.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#8430 User is online   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 April 2021 - 04:13 PM

Huh, the actor who plays Alex Krychek - Mulder's nemesis in X-files, just showed up as a minor character that gets killed in episode 15, season 1.

I always find it weird when shows use actors twice. Especially if it's a major role they're reused as.

#8431 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 29 April 2021 - 04:22 PM

View PostAptorian, on 29 April 2021 - 04:13 PM, said:

Huh, the actor who plays Alex Krychek - Mulder's nemesis in X-files, just showed up as a minor character that gets killed in episode 15, season 1.

I always find it weird when shows use actors twice. Especially if it's a major role they're reused as.

It happened a LOT in the 90's, and not just in the US, but in the UK too. Hell, playing two roles (a minor and a major one) on DOCTOR WHO is a badge of honour that happened as recently as Peter Capaldi, and Karen Gillan.

Star Trek TNG was notorious for this. My favourite by far is Michelle Forbes. She played a bit part (a disgruntled daughter of an alien who wanted to defect from his culture because they practice ritualistic suicide as tradition) in Season 4 Episode 22, and then 7 episodes later in Season 5 Episode 3 she shows up as her main TNG role as Bajoran Ensign Ro Laren, a role she would play for the rest of the series.

I think they often cast ppl bit roles and realize the acting or chemistry of the person is high enough to bring them back as someone more prominent.

#8432 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 April 2021 - 05:51 PM

Watched the first episode of Mare of Easttown. Slow burn (and sorta too much so). There's enough to have me back (I usually try to give a show 3-4 episodes before I make a decision to bail out).

Kate Winslet is going HAM on the accent, but kind of distractedly so because she emphasizes it big time for obvious words - e.g. door and overdoses (like the sound when saying Uber, so like "uverdoses"). But then her dialog is neutral the rest of the time (it seems to me anyway). I can even detect her natural British coming through at times (subtle, but if you pay attention you can hear it sometimes). In Episode 1 she leans in hard with the Philly accent in the first scene though. I guess they were really attempting to make that a feature to put people in the setting? dunno. Anyway, the episode ends such that I want to watch the 2nd episode. Will keep going and hope it picks up.

#8433 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 29 April 2021 - 07:36 PM

Woot fuck yes! I canít wait to go backwards in time and see this play out.

#8434 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 30 April 2021 - 06:51 AM

Currently on a nostalgia binge and re-watching Xena: Warrior Princess. Don't think I ever saw all of it when it aired originally. So much fun :D
- Wyrd biū ful arśd -

#8435 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 30 April 2021 - 07:16 AM

Season 4 of Castlevania may 13th

Iím happy!

Though also makes me realize how many seasons of various shows are overdue due to covid

#8436 User is online   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 30 April 2021 - 09:12 AM

Xena only got better with time. When the last season ran it was getting into some really cool Norse mythology.

#8437 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 30 April 2021 - 10:56 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 30 April 2021 - 06:51 AM, said:

Currently on a nostalgia binge and re-watching Xena: Warrior Princess. Don't think I ever saw all of it when it aired originally. So much fun :D

I adore this show. Got the whole series digitally on an iTunes sale a few years ago, and it was a great purchase as rewatching it has been a joy.

#8438 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 30 April 2021 - 04:22 PM

On ep 7 of Shadow and Bone. This shit is weird.
Spoiler

#8439 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 30 April 2021 - 05:21 PM

Finished Shadow and Bone. Ugh finally. That felt like it went on way to long. Will I watch S2? Probably. Will I buy the book? No.

#8440 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 April 2021 - 05:25 PM

Been working my way through the recent season of Better Call Saul (about half way now). We got a Trevor (GTA V) sighting! Man I just love that actor and whenever I see him in something I smile. He is perfect in BCS as a scummy, creepy private investigator that Jimmy hires to do some work because Mike is unavailable. That final proposal he makes though, amirite? Damn, Jimmy and Kim couldn't end the meeting fast enough.

[EDIT] This most recent season of Better Call Saul is moving along to be the best one yet. It's aces.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 30 April 2021 - 05:26 PM

Share this topic:

• 431 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users