• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your Works-in-Progress

#181 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:54 PM

Sounds like you need to take a wee break, dude. Nothing wrong with stepping back, develop some ideas and rekindle your interest. Take as long as it takes. If you rush it and force it and it's crap you'll struggle to forgive yourself. Do it right, rather than quickly.
Victory is mine!

#182 User is offline   Baudinsballs 

• Sergeant

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:32 PM

Thanks mate, hows yours coming along? I really liked the prologue

#183 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:52 PM

It's coming along very nicely. I follow my own advice on this and take my time to enjoy it. I hit a bump a little while back when I couldn't get my head around how I wanted to tell a particular part of the story, and even whether or not to include it, so I took a step back and moved on to another part altogether. I found that when I found myself naturally wandering back to the troublesome spot I had a fresh perspective and the answer came to me. Gotta love what you do, man. :D
Victory is mine!

#184 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:13 PM

Went back to the first post and edited it in order to correct some changes in my novels-in-progress.

This post has been edited by Gabriele: 19 July 2015 - 12:47 PM

#185 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:25 AM

I usually just creep the fourm but I need some anonymous help with my world building, mostly just the logic progression of the timeline. My book is centered on a cycle of creation and destruction. For every creator there is a destoryer thing. At the begining of the current world the Creator opts out of his omnipotence, this leads to the excesses power which the Creator bled off forming an magical ore which gifts its user to basically doing anything they can imagine.
The magical engery leads to concusous magical energies-The Elder Gods-the first beings with self-awareness on the planet. Evoultion takes place much like it did on our planet except all the massive-extinction events. Dinosaurs evole into Dragons who have genocidcal war with the Elder Gods. Another couple Million years go by, Drakes-the desendences of the surviving Dragons start to transfer from the hunter and gather stage to farming. Proto-human are now around as well as giant warm blooded insects called Fairla. A leftover species called Legionnairs of the world before emerge from underground, controlling the ore, they experiment on the proto-humans, in a attempt to make a slave race. Three "strains" evolve, standard Humans, Gnomes and Ogres. Around the same time the winged Fairla in-slave the larger unwinged population. All of these species embrace the Elder Gods as their creators.
The start of the Iron Age. Instead of the some 10,000 years it took humans to go from the Iron Age to the WW2 era it takes 100,000 years because of the the useage of the ore and the opression of the human strains and wingless Fairla. The first great uprising against the winged Fairla and the Legionnairs, the human strains and wingless Fairla are techonically surported by the Drakes, the war is much like WW1. During the war the wingless Fairla are wiped out, well almost. A second war is fought now with the help of proto-humans descends who were not experimented called the Viks. The war ends the opression. A cultural renaissance takes place, the Elder Gods take advantage. Pitted nations against nation in a series of holy wars.
A fraction of Elder Gods are disgusted and aim to stop the wars. The Elder God of genius and insanity discovers the what the ore acutally is and use it to create the Scroll of the Destiny. He is hunted down and killed on the planet, This sends his magical engery across the globe abling people to use magic without the ore. While the ore helps ampflys the magic. Before dieing the god trusts 8 mortals with the job keeping the Scroll save, uncreatively named The Keepers.
Each one to represent the species present, inculding the last remaining wingless Fairla. They fight the Elder Gods, which brings the world back to medival era, The Keepers win the fight and decided to artifically keep the age the same. As well as becoming channels for the respective speices magic, with each speices magic becoming unquie. 3000 years of this and the acutal novels start.

So...does it logically make sense or am does it seem like I am trying to hard? Haha

#186 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

Hey, it's your fantasy world so you can do what you pretty much please. There are millenia of gaps to account for anything you want and there is nothing that stands out as being bad for me. It doesn't matter too much in the end, so long as everything you deem important serves a purpose in the stories you write.
Victory is mine!

#187 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:30 PM

I'm finally getting back to putting some of my ideas together and on paper (well liquid story binder, I havent got it all figured, but its a pretty neat software, on an aside, anyone else us it and have any useful tips on it?)
I have my main characters, a basic world overview and the over arching plots lined up. Just curious what people would consider a solid rate of progression? words per day? or aim for a certain resolution each week?

With work I only have about 2 hours an evening, but want to get some progress and it would be more productive than jsut watching tv/ youtubing silly videos.

#188 User is offline   goldmill 

• Recruit

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:04 PM

Shoot for 500 words a day or another reasonable number. That's what I do and write between 45 minutes to 2 hours a day since that is all I have time for. Some days suck and I may only get 300, others may rock and I get 1200 but since I've started writing a couple of months ago, I average over 500 with little trouble.

#189 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:02 PM

thats about a file page both sides in my handwritting (m touch stone for gauging stuff) sounds very doable

#190 User is offline   SpectreofEschaton 

• Herald of the Black Dawn
  • Interests:self-annihilation

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:02 AM

I'm happy if I manage to write three sentences in a day, lately. It's a terrible state of affairs.
These glories we have raised... they shall not stand.

#191 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:10 PM

3 sentence seems to be my limit at the minute as well. need to work a few less hours and get a bit more shut eye

#192 User is offline   Baudinsballs 

• Sergeant

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:21 PM

56'499 WORDS SO FAR! that is all,

#193 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:07 PM

:)
Victory is mine!

#194 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:34 AM

Kanpanos-equivalent to the rank of corporal.

Cepxahtal-equivalent to the rank of sergeant.

A crossbow bolt whizzed by Kanpanos Ivok, winding up his ancient crossbow he fired back nailing his blacked armored target into the wall directly behind him. "Renegade, I got a sticker," He yelled at his squad mage. "Cook him up damn you!"

A bolt of pure energy fired from directly behind him hitting the target who then disappeared in a blue mist. His squad and he got separated in the rust colored labyrinth that was one a city, a city that was once part of the great Mosian Empire, before the Arkizanian Empire, before even the Ogreish rule. It was his people's homeland that had over the centuries had been invaded again and again. And only one company was ordered with the protection of the homeland and that was the Red Wolfs.

Ivok barely noticed his approaching men, who had for the better part of the day kept the two story building they were currently occupying. There rust colored armored and reddish skin blended very well with the surroundings. Gpeht, the bald and bearded point-man of the squad was the first to speak. His voice was low and careful. "Kanpan, how long are we going to wait? The damn Grudak'las are getting closer and closer every wave."

"We wait for the Cepxahtal and that's that. Renegade how we doing? They bring out the big boys yet?" He called over to Renegade.

"I can feel those blue bastards, eager to let lose Chaos, Ha! They don't Renegade like they think!"

"You don't know Renegade like you think." Gpeht smiled over at Renegade.

"Well I know I have been sanction to all nine Keepers so I have opened to me nine ways of magic."

"Nine? The embrace of Death non-existence bosom Renegade there is only eight."

"Enough, Gpeht and the rest of you, first floor, Renegade were going hunting so get cooking up something tasty."

Ivok reflected that he must have had the most mismatched squad in all of Red Wolfs; Renegade was a skinny dark skinned Kulunese whose history and reason to be with the Wolfs was a mystery with all but himself. Gpeht, Vina, Droco and Sis were all Mosian with more Hurkizan than any pure blooded would have, their skin was almost the color of the desert. Ving Nyen was a Viks; a mane of black hair that grew from head the small of his muscular back, the bone amour matched well with his grey skin. Vicious canines were flashed every once and while, usually through smiles, or growls. Ving called himself a Blood Leader, warrior-priest of the Warzone worship, Warzone being the Patron Keeper of the Viks. Only he was a pureblooded Mosian in the group, even the Cepxaht was half Arkizanian, quarter Sorrod and quarter Mosian.

"Kanpan we got movement ahead, open area, seemed to be a broken down fountain, we should prepare for an ambush." Gpeht called from ahead.

"Alright were enter the zone of no returne, hand signals only, Gpeht and Vina point, Droco and I got flanks, Sis and Ving got rearguard, Renegade you got middle." He finished by signally to everyone if they understood conformation from all.

They slowly exited the narrow alley way to form up, which didn't happen because as soon as Gpeht exited a crossbow bolt slammed into his shoulder. Gpeht relied back as the first Grudak'las entered the alley way. A broken sword swung with aim to kill Gpeht, Vina's long knife met it instead. Her second was shoved in between the neck guard and helmet; a thick black liquid ran down her arm.

Ivok readied his long sword and small round shield, standard infantry equipment. Another Grudak'las appeared and Ivok pulled Gpeht back and took his place. The Grudak'las responded in kind, with a mace to his shield arm, which snapped with the impact, but the Grudak'las paid with its life as Ivok pierced through the broken chainmail into the inner workings of the victim.

Vina took the next Grudak'las and after defeating took a roll into the open, miniature crossbows for both hands, Ivok heard the familiar click of the releasing crossbows one after another. He stumbled into the opened next and followed Vina as she ran into the nearest building door. Ivok dived through the open door as soon as he could. He looked back and saw bow Droco, with his long sword and shield and Ving with his bone mace and shoulder blade shield fighting off a horde off the entrance of the alley way as Sis ran across to the door firing and reloading her Arkizanian crossbow with astounding speed.

He looked to Vina who was still breathing heavy after her confrontation with the Grudak'las which was understandable as she was finesse swordswoman, an assassin to be more precise. Ivok long ago marked her as such, since her beauty was not one of the battlefield, as say Sis's whose features diminished with each fire fight.

"What happen to waiting for Cepxaht, Ivok, damn you?" Sis said in her deep heavy voice.

"Renegade said there bringing the blue ones out so, get them before they get us Eh?" He said with a smile, through a smile crippled with pain, a pain becoming more prevalent now that the adrenalin rush was receding.

A short story I'm working on, finding that I hit a dry spell during my novel I opted to change up the pace and try something else. Hence the "Red Wolfs of the Grudak'las Desert"...as you can obviously see, its influenced by SE, mostly because i thought it would be fun to write squad based writing he does. Some of my characters are also obviously influenced by certain MBotF characters, Renegade=Quick Ben, Ivok=Paran, Vina=Sorry and so on.......any thoughts?

This post has been edited by The Pretty: 31 July 2010 - 10:36 AM

#195 User is offline   Baudinsballs 

• Sergeant

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:17 PM

Good story I liked it pretty.

Update on my work I am 20'000 words from completing my first draft 100'000 words target. Currently winding in all the characters for the climatic battle. Still got a how one character that was dead ended up alive and working for the resistance plot to finish up. A flashback in the vein of The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham. Then it's the march of the New empire and a slight homage to Erikson with refugees heading to the main city in the south and the invasion of another country by a kingdom that don't like women rulers and the fleeing of a princess back to her husbands home in another country.

Yep this might end up being more than 100'000 words

#196 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

just a few more?

I'm circa 1000 words.
and going stro........... nowhere.

I was doing well for a few weeks, not actually penning prose, but character building and plot development, then the big hours started again and its all gone to fuck, come saturday im not in the mood, might try for some more tomorrow

#197 User is offline   Baudinsballs 

• Sergeant

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:24 PM

Yeah downturns are bad. They're even worse when they happen on a day specifically set aside for writing.

#198 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:14 AM

I'm doing alright. It's just that my prologue has quite a bit of action in it. Is this normal?
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#199 User is offline   Baudinsballs 

• Sergeant

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:26 AM

Yeah action in prologues are normal. GOOD even. Just make sure that what you're showing needs to be in the prologue and not a chapter 1

#200 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

My newest plotbunny that wanted attention for Nano 2013. Pesky little buggers never can stay away. ^_^

Forged at the Fighting

In the first half of the 10th century, kings strive to expand their realms, noble lords turn rebels, longships prowl the sea and Magyar raiders plunder the land. In these turbulent times, four siblings of a minor Saxon house have to fight for survival.

Athalard of Sichelstein inherits the family's lands, but also a bloodfeud that will drive him, hunted and haunted, to the borders of the inhabited world. Wittilo, monastery-educated but with a longing for arms and armour, will become involved in the civil war between Heinrich the Fowler's sons Otto and Thankmar, and must decide which oaths to keep when his old enemies play the strings. Ercenmar seeks a future of glory at the court of Æthelstan of Wessex to find it will turn to ashes when friends become enemies. Their sister Erelinda will have to face the masterful queen Gunnhild of the Danes, but to save the man she loves she will have to leave behind her home and her family.

An uncle of the Sichelstein siblings who disappeared years ago also turns out to be a victim of the old feud, and now he finds himself on the side of King Causantín of Alba, who fights for his independence from Æthelstan and against his nephew Ercenmar.

The saga of the Sichelstein siblings is a tale of family, of love and hatred, duty and honour, of divided allegiances and battles, ranging from the glaciers of Iceland to the fertile plains at the Danube, from the swamps and forests of the Eastmarch to the islands of western Alba.

I continued writing that one for Nano 2014 (and won for the first time :( ) though it has now turned trilogy on me. Should have known. :)

This post has been edited by Gabriele: 02 January 2015 - 06:11 PM

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users