• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Darujhistan - what's in a name?

#1 User is offline   raest 

• I like Tufty
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:52 AM

What does "Darujhistan" mean?

While I was procrastinating from studying, my brain randomly came up with this question. Random musings follow:

It's a combination of "Daru" and "jhistan"; From the wiki: A Jhistal is both a title and a people, more the former now than the latter.
So is the "jhistan" referring to the high priest title (Mallick Rel) definition, or the people definition? My guess is there is some connection to K'Rul given his strong presence there.

Sorry if this has already been raised, but I couldn't really tell because the forum search is borked.

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:58 AM

I don't Darujistan is a combination of Daru and Jhistan.

I think Daru is just the name of the people living in Darujhistan, is better than saying Darujhistanise

#3 User is offline   raest 

• I like Tufty

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:11 AM

I'm not so sure, "jhistal" and "jhistan" are very similar. I doubt it's coincidence that SE makes part of the name of an important city very similar to a word he created.

It may be that Jhistal is derived from Darujhistan and not the other way around, which is what I'm thinking.

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:15 AM

But he didn't create a word called Jhistan. He created a word called Darujhistan.

I think you're reading way, waaay too much into it.

#5 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:22 AM

I agree with Apt, for all it matters... it's like saying Manchester and the word "chest" are linked.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#6 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:43 AM

But "jhistal" is Falari. Although seeing as D-Stan was born on a rumour....

#7 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:50 AM

The -istan is just a common suffix for country or state. Pakistan, Tajikistan, etc, should show that. The Daru refers to the people who founded the city state.

If he'd have called it Daru City or Darutown I dont think this would be an issue for debate.

#8 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 13 June 2008 - 12:52 PM

Your probably right. Only want to say:people from Tagikistan or Kirgizistan are called Kirgizi and Tagiki so why are Darujhistan are called Daru and not...Darujhi?
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#9 User is offline   Carnifex 

• Corporal

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:28 PM

It just means "Place of the Daru", the -ji- was probably put in to represent the "of".
For example: Afghanistan, Tadjikistan, Uzbekistan... The people are Uzbeks, Tadjiks and Afghans, but there's a vowel between each culture name and the "stan". Alternatively, the -ji- could represent plurality, as in Bauchelain's parallel examples above.

#10 User is offline   Greymane 

• Sergeant

Posted 15 June 2008 - 01:37 AM

_stan seems to be a common name for cities in Genabackis, so i think it just means City of the DFaru. Like Capustan is home to the Capu people.

#11 User is offline   Tattooed Hand 

• High Fist

Posted 15 June 2008 - 04:46 AM

-stan appended to a group means land of in Persian, which for hundreds of years was the Latin of the east.

#12 User is offline   Tif the Barber Boy 

• Captain

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:34 AM

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with why SE chose the name, but 'Daru' in the Urdu, Hindi, Pashtu, etc. means wine. '-istan' means 'land of'. So if we ignore the 'jh' in the middle, Darujhistan would mean 'The land of wine'.

But what if we take the entire word 'Darujh'? Hmm. Well, 'Darj' can mean either something that is written, or can be the verb, to register. But a more fitting word could be Durj, the plural of which is Duruj, which is a small casket for depositing gems.

So if Darujhistan is Durujistan then its The Land of Treasure Troves, or even The Land of Gem Caskets!

All that aside, I'm guessing that SE probably just thought the name sounded nice. :-)

#13 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:51 AM

Bauchelain the Evil;329598 said:

Your probably right. Only want to say:people from Tagikistan or Kirgizistan are called Kirgizi and Tagiki so why are Darujhistan are called Daru and not...Darujhi?

Well, considering you're completely wrong, and the people are in fact ACTUALLY called the Kyrgyz and Tajiks, I'd say it fits in rather well, wouldn't you? :D ;)

http://en.wikipedia....s_of_Tajikistan

Silly Italians, thinking they know English. :p :D

#14 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:08 PM

Ok, I can answer this question definitively now, having asked SE and got the answer. :D

*is smug*

It's just a name. Nothing to do with Jhistal or anything like that, it's just like Pakistan or Afghanistan etc. The Daru people, then the jhistan as a suffix.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users