• You cannot reply to this topic

Euro 2008

#81 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:03 PM

Gothos;327234 said:

does using strange and difficult words support your feeling of confidence and security?
or are you just trying to sound educated?

No, simply using the best available vocabulary to express myself.

Which of these words is strange or difficult? I don't think you need to be especially well educated to have the confidence to use words like vitriolic or innocuous, they are in common usage.

I'd respond in kind to your attempts to provoke me but that would be somewhat petty and only contribute to the derailment, sorry to everyone else who wants to talk about the footy.
I AM A TWAT

#82 User is offline   Bhurnae 

• Close to the hedge.........
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:all the usual stereotypical male ones

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:34 AM

caladanbrood+;327271 said:

Ah, fuck off to PM if you lot wanna bitch at each other :o

Very glad Sweden beat Greece, who played the most negetive football I've seen in ages. I swear they spent at least 5 minutes just passing between the back three at one point.

At least 5 mins........didnt they buggar off home in the second half??

View PostMezla PigDog, on 28 September 2009 - 09:34 PM, said:

I have been entertaining tourists for many years now.... A girls gotta make a living.

#83 User is offline   Sir Bob 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:I am a sponge and I soak up everyone else's interests. I am however partial to socks.

And sarcasm.
  • @DolefulDoug

Posted 11 June 2008 - 09:24 AM

Cougar;327280 said:

use words like vitriolic or innocuous, they are in common usage.

i hope thats sarcastic cause i have never even heard of the word vitriolic much less used it!!!!!

so kanchelskis was from ukraine you say, wow i glad i did not make that up-would have looked foolish and we cant have that!!
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain(wrong series, ed)

pullupapew.wordpress.com

*hugs*

#84 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:43 AM

Ganymed;327266 said:

Oh my, I almost knew this would happen. Should never have posted ANYTHING related to Podolski. These days you most certainly can expect heated argument over to whom Podolski "belongs" as if somehow he was property of the state. And the boulevard media both in Poland and Germany make sure that it stays that way.

it's not about where he "belongs", it's how it is and I can only pity the missed opportunity and bad management on our side. plus, I have that feeling he's way better off playing for Germany, this country has a way to spoil good players.

anyways, commenting Sweden vs Greece, well done Sweden! Greece played really obnoxiously, and I don't mean the overdefensive formation, I mean the jabs and kicks out of the ref's sight, out of play fouls, barbaric and dishonorable crap like that. not to mention they kept playing after the Swede's injury even though Sweden gave away the ball in fair play. shows Greeks as a people without honor, dignity and decency, I hope your regular Greek distances him/herself from such... primitive behaviour.
though I admit this style of enraging your opponent seems quite common in mediterranean football
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#85 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:33 AM

Neither of those words are particularly uncommon if you're a native English speaker, but Gothos isn't. So meh, let's stop arguing and talk about how awesome Spain are instead. David Villa for United! ¬_¬
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#86 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:15 PM

polishgenius;327713 said:

David Villa for United! ¬_¬

I've been an advocate of this for some time, he would be a superb addition, can be a little tempramental though.

Spain were superb but, Russia are a very weak looking team, I'm very disappointed in them. However, when you consider that they came through a very poor group (England included, who effectively gifted them qualification) you can't expect too much.

In common with the Dutch I'm concerned by the quality of the Spanish defence, which looked inept and occasionally 'panicky' against a poor Russian attack. Also Cesc Fabregas should start for sure, he is pure class.
I AM A TWAT

#87 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:46 PM

Russia will look better when Arshavin comes back. Assuming they beat Greece without him, I reckon they'll beat Sweden and progress when he returns.

Perhaps the best player not currently playing in a major European league?

#88 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:29 PM

for the record innocuous and vitriol (and expansions of) are common enough words in my vocabulary, not everyday conversation but they still get air time.

David Villa for Utd please no, Didnt se the spain game and only saw from ibrahimovic's goal (which wa s beaut) I think hansenns donkeys about was brilliantly awful, even more so on the heals of theit first fabulous strike

#89 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:20 PM

Enough with slagging each other off, confine the discussion to football please.

Of the games I've seen so far, the dutch have looked easily the best team, but I haven't seen Germany play and only caught the end of the Spain match. That said i've decided to support holland this year, considering I'm going there soon, so my bias might have started to shine through already :)

#90 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:45 PM

I hope Fabregas doesnt play much, we need him rested and fresh for next season. Plus he's not in my fantasy footy team. :p :)

Podolski's apparently said he could be after a move in the summer, I really hope Arsenal get him. Or Villa. Not Villa the team getting Podolski, I mean Arsenal getting Villa the David. But I dont think either's likely, we'd have to pay actual money and sign an established player. Madness!

Those two aside, are there any players so far from outside the PL that have really caught anyone's eye?

I liked Engelaar for Holland, he looked good, but he's 28 already so not a signing for Arsenal.

#91 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:50 PM

Kazim-Kazim used to play in England, so I'm not sure he counts, but he was ace in the first game...

Mutinho (sp) looked class, as did Frings for Germany (he could be a decent Flamini replacement for you lot...).

Most of the players who look really good are established already for top clubs.

#92 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:56 PM

Yeah Frings is always solid and was linked with us on the BBC website this morning, so could be a good'un. Probably a bit too old for Wenger though.

With Kazim-Kazim, why do they call him that? I noticed it in the CL game against Chelsea too, his name is Colin Kazim-Richards.

Now, Im not denying Kazim-Kazim is a way cooler sounding name, but you shouldnt just be able to pick and choose your name like a common Brazilian, just for football.

#93 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:58 PM

An obvious one but Van der Vaart should be looking at his age for the big move, he isn't at a particularlly large club now and he has the quality. There has been some suggestion that he hasn't the temprament ie: he would rather be a big fish in a little pond.

Colin Kazim-Richards used to play for Bury and Shef Utd and he never looked half the player he has looked since moving to Fener.

De Jong looked tidy enough I thought.

I also liked the look of the chap playing right wing for Poland though I can't remember his name, think he had red boots
I AM A TWAT

#94 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:53 PM

Czech vs Portugal
looking good so far, although the referee is making a bad job of managing the game, it's getting quite bloody and brutal and unless he starts using the damned cards he was given something bad is gonna happen. the goal for portugal seems a lucky accident tbh, the Czechs look a lot more impressive. anticipating the second half and the conclusion of this fight
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#95 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:53 PM

And Portugal and Czech Republic is 1-1 for now
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#96 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Not much

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:22 PM

Ronaldo just scored the 2nd goal. Have I already said that Portugal will win this Euro Cup.?
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#97 User is offline   Flawed 

• Flawed
  • Interests:winning the lotto
  • Id like some peace....

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:25 PM

Well annoying! i dont have ronaldo in my team as he is usually a chocolate tea pot in any country competitions
"I think i was a bad person before. Before this time. I do not try to be good now but i am not bad. Perhaps if i try harder i may get a better hand dealt next time? But surely that makes it pointless? Perhaps i am good. Just good at being pointless. But that would make me bad. Bad at having a point. Ah…. I see now. I was nothing before, I am nothing now. I am bad purely because im pointless. "

EQ 10

#98 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:44 PM

The portuguese are making the most of alot of the challenges, Pepe especially.

Come on Moutinho, do something!

#99 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Not much

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:50 PM

3-1 for Portugal!No surprise
Adept of Team Quick Ben

#100 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:52 PM

You mean 3-1? :)

Fuckity fuck, I just took bloody Quaresma out my team!!! Typical.

Mind you, at least Brood's got Cech as his keeper. :p

Come on Portugal, score again!

Now, down to the offy and the chinese to get an accompaniment for the Swiss Turkey game, where I hope Tuncay doesnt do well, as I decided not to pick him at the last minute.

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users