Malazan Empire: Indiana Jones and the Hat Still Fits *Indy 4 spoilers* - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Indiana Jones and the Hat Still Fits *Indy 4 spoilers*

#21 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:36 AM

I still think Temple of Doom is brilliantly dark and awesome! It's my fave.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#22 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:57 AM

I'm really questioning this film. Two of my friends saw it the other night and are Die hard Indy fans, said it was a horrible, horrible film.

I've gotta see it, but now i'm worried it sucks.

#23 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:18 AM

don't go in expecting a friggin oscar performance and you'll be fine. Most people I know that dissed it were griping mainly because they were old indy fans and remembered teh older films as much more.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#24 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:38 AM

Greatest Indy film ever... it's that easy. The old ones do not compare.

#25 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:49 PM

cerveza_fiesta;324610 said:

don't go in expecting a friggin oscar performance and you'll be fine. Most people I know that dissed it were griping mainly because they were old indy fans and remembered teh older films as much more.

Yeah, absolutely agreed. A LOT of people seem to remember Indy as gritty and dark as a trilogy, but it's really not. It IS kind of out there on the believability scale, and it CAN be goofy. It's just been 20 years since anyone has seen one and so it appears those people forgot.

CF is right, if you don't go in expecting oscar, then you ought to be fine. Try to remember the old ones were about fun and adventure...and for the most part, so is this one.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:42 AM

My 5-word review:

Completely ridiculous; totally fricking awesome.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#27 User is offline   sewer.rat 

• Recruit

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:51 AM

The sight gags (groundhogs...!) made me groan in a bad way. The refrigerator scene was cool if all reality was suspended. I gave up when they pulled out the snake rope.

I liked the ant bit tho'.

#28 User is offline   Cold Iron 

• I'll have some lasagna

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:18 AM

Snake rope was definitely not needed. But it's an indy movie. It's supposed to be fun.

#29 User is offline   Flawed 

• Flawed
  • Group: Team Handsome
  • Interests:winning the lotto
  • Id like some peace....

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:35 AM

I saw this the other week. I was a little disappointed. Some of it was ridiculous ( eg the monkeys )
But in retrospect my narkedness ( yes this is a word ) isn't really relative anymore. Sure the film didn't seem to have that magical wow factor that made me want to grab the nearest skipping rope and make Whishtissh noises while wearing a pair of y fronts on my head. Sure the tongue and cheek jokes, and Indy were a bit tired but that's mainly due to the fact that I'm not 10 years old anymore and the indicative aura of your own personal imagination and magic at that sort of age would of bridged the gap to make me think this film was awesome. The way that young kid rode his bike through the uni, or swung with monkey's, or that ants behave in that way, or that magical aliens did help ancient south American peoples to create massive cities etc.
So in hindsight i do not think the film was that rubbish, just my imagination.
"I think i was a bad person before. Before this time. I do not try to be good now but i am not bad. Perhaps if i try harder i may get a better hand dealt next time? But surely that makes it pointless? Perhaps i am good. Just good at being pointless. But that would make me bad. Bad at having a point. Ah…. I see now. I was nothing before, I am nothing now. I am bad purely because im pointless. "

EQ 10

#30 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:04 PM

Cold Iron;329209 said:

Snake rope was definitely not needed. But it's an indy movie. It's supposed to be fun.

i thought the snake rope was hilarious

#31 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:28 PM

sewer.rat;329116 said:

The sight gags (groundhogs...!) made me groan in a bad way. The refrigerator scene was cool if all reality was suspended. I gave up when they pulled out the snake rope.

I liked the ant bit tho'.

The ground hogs absolutely reeked of george lucas. What a turd. The stupid ass groundhog was the opening scene and almost put me in a bad mood and mindset for the movie, until the shooting and awesome action started of course.

It was just a too-early reminder of how Lucas would be smearing his shit-stained influence on every scene and CF was not happy about it..
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#32 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:08 PM

cerveza_fiesta;329806 said:

The ground hogs absolutely reeked of george lucas. What a turd. The stupid ass groundhog was the opening scene and almost put me in a bad mood and mindset for the movie, until the shooting and awesome action started of course.

It was just a too-early reminder of how Lucas would be smearing his shit-stained influence on every scene and CF was not happy about it..

Yeah, this is the proverbial nail in the coffin for anything George Lucas touches from here on out. He turns everything he touches to shit. He's like Midas for shit.

#33 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:42 PM

When he came crawling out of the refrigerator and the little critter was looking up at him, I really wanted him to punt it straight out of the cameras view. It would had been so satisfying.

And it would had made all the kids cry.

#34 User is offline   Dag 

• Burninating poodles since 1996

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:34 PM

Well... I went to see the movie without great expectations, but still managed to get out of the cinema a bit disappointed. It wasn't so bad, and certain parts I even found funny, but... Naah, that was not it.

That old man with slow, arthritic movements and with no charme at all may have worn Indy's hat, but it wasn't Indy.

And I could have lived with aliens, but... interdimensional beings? WTH?!? ;)
The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.

#35 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:19 PM

(without having read through the whole thread)

I thought it was total tripe and I will sit through a lot of tripe. I found myself really bored which rarely happens to me, as sitting still doing nothing is my favourite pastime, regardless of the colourful talky stuff in front of me.

In no particular order:

My dislike started early. As if the kids racing through Nevada listening to Elvis didn't put the era into context, Indy had to live through a fucking nuclear explosion?!??! Setting the era was hammered so hard, they lost 20mins of movie.

What's with the CGI fricking animals? Gophers were bad enough, the monkeys were a step too far. The whole Tarzan thing, just no.

Fencing on the trucks. When it looks like CGI in this day and age, don't do it!

They totally wasted the use of Marion and their relationship was a pastiche of itself.

I became obsessed in looking to see if Blanchett had a camels toe in those trousers!

ALIENS?!?! If there's one thing the franchise didn't need, it's bloody aliens! OK, so they had to think of something bigger than the Holy Grail, that's kinda tough, but INTER-DIMENSIONAL ALIENS????

I've ranted myself into forgetting the other issues I had......

I was most upset by the whole ordeal and now need to watch the first three movies to see if they were equally shallow and rubbish to decide if it's just nostalgia that caused my distress. To put it into context, The Last Crusade is my first real experience of seeing a film at the cinema that just blew me away when I was 9 years old.

EDIT - Actually, just to temper my rant. There were 2 good bits! The fight in the diner and the killer ants. I covered my eyes during some of the killer ant antics.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#36 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:00 PM

the fight at the diner was probably the most unexpected and best "era" defining moments in the movie.

karen allen didnt age well at all. the latest movie i saw her in before this was 15 years ago and she was still very pretty(sandlot). feel kind of bad.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users