• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Win an autographed copy of Toll the Hounds

#161 User is offline   Folken 

• Never throw your life away so easily
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:56 PM

I lost interest in BH...lol I was hoping this book would do something to make me excited again but again more of the pointless dribble that has nothing to do with where ever the hell he is taking the story
<div align='center'>You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are - Juan Manuel Fangio</div>

#162 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:02 PM

Jen said:

I lost interest in BH...lol I was hoping this book would do something to make me excited again but again more of the pointless dribble that has nothing to do with where ever the hell he is taking the story

Have you read TtH? Or assuming? Know the story for the next few books?

I always wondered how people can make statements like this without knowing the ending of the series. For all we know what he is telling us plays a huge part.

The same though can be applied to a ton of the knowledge in GotM, but only on a later re-read do you start understanding how most of it ties in.

And well the story may be slower, if he just had fight scene after battle after fight scene, there would be no characters left alive to care about, or the turn over would be so fast you'd start loosing track I would imagine.
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#163 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:06 PM

I'm sure we will all have our own takes on TtH after we get our hands on it. I thought BH was slow but by the end I loved it as much as the other books.

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:16 PM

For my part, I loved the way TtH was written
It was slow at the beginning but that allowed certain characters to develop beyond what you already know of them, and the last part was great as it sets up so much for the end of the series... you can almost see it.. but you know there's going to be something you didn't predict :o

#165 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:22 PM

Abalieno;326462 said:

Not my opinion.

I just read up to 300 pages from the end of DG, but GotM isn't slow and the last 100 pages feel even a bit rushed, and DG itself has in its strength a much better pacing and structure.

My opinion about these two books is that Erikson is actually very good with the pacing, making important things happen all the way through without any real "filler" or boring middle sections.

In fact DG has the perfect alternation of parts with "pure action" and parts filled with mysteries and revelations.

Sorry, I was talking about the majority of the books in the series, in particular the recent ones. You should probably read them before forming an opinion on them :o
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tęde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#166 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:27 PM

Hetan;326530 said:

For my part, I loved the way TtH was written
It was slow at the beginning but that allowed certain characters to develop beyond what you already know of them, and the last part was great as it sets up so much for the end of the series... you can almost see it.. but you know there's going to be something you didn't predict :o

Sweet. I hope it completely shocks everyone, as much time as we've all spent predicting and guessing.

I love being completely shocked.

#167 User is offline   Abalieno 

• Fist

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:28 PM

Malaclypse also seemed to like it.

He says it's the best book, but I wonder how he would put the books on a ladder. It's a good way to "weigh" how each book stands in relation to the overall story arc.

Hey Pat, same question I asked on Westeros, you said you'd put RotCG above GotM but still slightly below all other Erikson's, does this mean that TTH would now likely be above RotCG but below the rest?

#168 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:31 AM

Can't say until I've read the ending, which I haven't been able to do because I needed to do my brother-in-law's taxes.

But I guess it will be a bit hard to "rate" TtH, what with it taking so long to get going. The ending has been incredible so far, which will give it a few extra point. But the fact that the first 800 pages or so were not of the same quality and excitement. . .

I don't know yet. . .

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#169 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:10 AM

Ah...so now it's not just slow at the beginning...but now exactly "quality" either? This is driving me nuts yet I'm addicted to his little tidbits....lol.

#170 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:51 AM

You guys are reading too much into this. . .

The pace is slower than in any Malazan volume to date, with the narrative focusing on secondary plotlines that don't seem to have as much relevance as other, more important storylines.

With a book filled with power players, I wish less time would have been spent on Challice, Murillio, or Gorlas Vidikas. . . But there are too many loose ends from GotM and MoI to tie up.

In any case, I'll see when I reach the final page, won't I!?! :o

About 30 pages to go, which I'll finish tomorrow night when I get back from work. Unless there's a major letdown, this could well be the best finale of the series!

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#171 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:50 AM

Cool.

I'm not trying to annoy you Pat, but it's hard when you're getting little snippets and of course your mind is going to dissect every little word :o

Thanks for the updates.

#172 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:51 AM

I swear this is the most anoying thread we have ever had
I AM A TWAT

#173 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:19 AM

Just finished it. . .

Holy crap, but did SE close the show with a bang! I still don't understand why such a big chunk of the narrative was devoted to secondary storylines, but the finale is as grand as it gets. :o

Those last hundred pages or so should blow everyone away!

I'll try to get my review up tomorrow, Thursday at the latest. . .

Patrick

#174 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:37 AM

Oohh so Challice does play an important part in this book. I knew it! I wonder what Crokus will get up to...

#175 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:19 AM

Sounds like it has some of the same flaws as the last one, and...gulp...WoT. Too much focus on random plots that don't contribute much to the overall story. I guess that doesn't mean it's not good, but...
Error: Signature not valid

#176 User is offline   phart 

• Fist

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:19 AM

pat5150;326335 said:

Well, folks, still about 50 pages to go. . .

And the series biggest -- and a mean BIGGEST -- mind f$%k has just occurred. Man, it blew me away! It's too early to tell, but TtH's ending could well dethrone that of MoI is SE keeps this up!:o

Still trying to figure out why it took so long for this novel to kick it into gear, but this sort of grand finale is terrific! Thus far as least. . .

Patrick

So its jab,jab,jab,jab,jab then a Hearns Howitzer. I don't mind that and i actually enjoy back stories

#177 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:08 AM

Pat, you say much of the book is devoted to secondary storylines. In your opinion, does that make the book one of the weaker ones in the series? Or are these storylines and the characters involved interesting enough to make TtH one of the better ones?

Glad to hear it's got a good ending though. Hope it's up there with the DG and MoI endings.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#178 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:50 AM

Well, I'm thinking about it to put my thoughts in order before I write my review. And though the Tiste Andii POVs are very interesting, if not for the excellent ending TtH would have to be one of the weaker books of the series.

In a way, it still is. But the ending really sets the stage for a lot of what's to come, so it's hard to feel disappointment. :o

Patrick

#179 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:58 AM

What's the deathtoll?

#180 User is offline   Flawed 

• Flawed
  • Group: Team Handsome
  • Interests:winning the lotto
  • Id like some peace....

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:58 AM

so who won the book?
"I think i was a bad person before. Before this time. I do not try to be good now but i am not bad. Perhaps if i try harder i may get a better hand dealt next time? But surely that makes it pointless? Perhaps i am good. Just good at being pointless. But that would make me bad. Bad at having a point. Ah…. I see now. I was nothing before, I am nothing now. I am bad purely because im pointless. "

EQ 10

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users