Malazan Empire: Narnia: Prince Caspian - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Narnia: Prince Caspian

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 May 2008 - 01:51 AM

Okay, forget the first film. This one has it in spades!

I went in to see this tonight with trepidation, due to the fact that a: I didn't think the first one was all that great compared to the book, and B: out of all 7 Narnia books, Prince Caspian is my favourite......so I was PLEASANTLY surprised that not only does it come through, but it kicks ass!

Seriously. As fantasy fans you should all make an effort to get out and see this. WETA spared no expense on the effects. The young actors from the first one have gotten better acting chops, and Ben Barnes (Caspian) is quite a charismatic lead.

Make no mistake, this chapter is all about WAR. Out of 2+ hours running time, I'd say about 1 hour and a half is battle sequences.

Hell, the effing Narnian assault on the Telmarine Keep was worth my money two times over alone, and that was only 25 minutes long....but it was a jaw dropping sequence.

Just awesome. WAY surpassed my expectations.

Do yourselves a favour and go see it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 17 May 2008 - 02:04 AM

Wait, what? This is out already? :eek: I thought it wasn't for ages!!

This and Voyage of the Dawn Treader were by far my favourite Narnia books, and the trailer looked absolutely spectacular.

Thanks for the heads up QT :D
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 May 2008 - 02:51 AM

caladanbrood+;309996 said:

Wait, what? This is out already? :eek: I thought it wasn't for ages!!

This and Voyage of the Dawn Treader were by far my favourite Narnia books, and the trailer looked absolutely spectacular.

Thanks for the heads up QT :D

No worries!

Oh, and as an aside, they start shooting Voyage of the Dawn Treader this October for a 2010 release! Woot!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 17 May 2008 - 03:35 AM

ARG, it's not released in the UK until June 26th :D

*cries a bit, in a manly fashion*
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 May 2008 - 05:52 AM

The first one was so awfull I'm not sure I'll ever see Caspian. I'll certainly not pay money to see it in a cinema. I'll probably just catch it on the internet somewhere when it becomes available.

#6 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:49 AM

The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe was OK, but the girl who played Lucy really annoyed me. Having said that, I am still going to see this. :D
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:39 PM

Yeah, the first one left a rather bad taste in my mouth too.....but my skepticism disappeared after I'd been in the theatre seat for 20 minutes.

#8 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 May 2008 - 02:11 PM

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe elicits comparisons with Lord of the Rings because of where it was shot and the fact that it's based on a famous fantasy series, and inevitably comes up short. The story doesn't have the necessary gravitas to make it feel important, the acting was lacklustre and the battle scenes were very much inferior. So my impression when I came out of the theatre was an 'ehh...it was alright, I guess...not as good as LotR though'. I did note that it stuck pretty faithfully to the book (I really expected them to cut Father Christmas out).

Prince Caspian, on the other hand, is going to be compared first and foremost to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, which means it's going to come off a lot better. If, as QT's review suggests, things are a step up from TLtWatW, then I suspect I will like it a lot. Just have to wait until June :D.

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 May 2008 - 02:59 PM

For a more in depth view of the film, check out my review on my blog:

http://codexpopularis.blogspot.com/

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:08 PM

I didn't like this as much as the first one, actually. Most of the CGI highlights were weak in comparison to the obvious scenes in the LotR films. Characterization was better, but overall, the wow of the first one wasn't exceeded.

It was fine - i didn't feel ripped off for having bought two tics to see it. I just wanted it to be better and instead got more of the same with less novelty.

- Abyss, had forgotten how awesome a character Reepercheep was.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#11 User is offline   paladin 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:56 PM

it was good, but it could have used a lot of editting. it was very uneven. i found myself bored at many different points of the movie.

#12 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:09 PM

Abyss;312274 said:

I didn't like this as much as the first one, actually. Most of the CGI highlights were weak in comparison to the obvious scenes in the LotR films. Characterization was better, but overall, the wow of the first one wasn't exceeded.

It was fine - i didn't feel ripped off for having bought two tics to see it. I just wanted it to be better and instead got more of the same with less novelty.

- Abyss, had forgotten how awesome a character Reepercheep was.

maybe it's cause the first one didn't "wow" me. The first one just kind of got up on the screen and laid down.
Or maybe I have different film tastes than you guys.

At any rate, I took a friend out to see it yesterday, and it held up for me upon a second viewing, no problems.

#13 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:47 AM

my girlfriend saw it and said it blows....so there.

Seriously though, I remember this one being one of the better books. I'll probly still see it.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users