Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Religon

#1 User is offline   Tarr 

• FING (cross between FIst and kiNG)
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:09 AM

I probably should have realised this ages ago and posted in an earlier thread but since TtH goes back to Darjhustan I'll post it here.

We have quite often seen elder gods worshiped, seen the hounds of darkness worshipped and when talking to paran Ganath tells him that now he's a god he'll have worshippers who will try and organise his religon and convert evertbody.

Yet even though they play such a big role in the story of creation (apparantly) we have never seen a human priesthood to Mother Dark, Father Light, Rake or Osserc.

Is this because they are off limits being racial gods or is there some other reason, I mean if you were looking for a religon why not choose a god who is in one of the houses and powerful enough to scare most of the other gods?
Everyday I ask myself, where has the peanut butter gone?

#2 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 08 May 2008 - 01:07 AM

Well, a, because they're not many people know about. I mean, not EVERYONE knows about the Tiste, for example
also, it may be related to the Warrens humans use--and the ascendants that are associated with them.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#3 User is offline   Trull's son 

• First Sword

Posted 08 May 2008 - 01:22 AM

It's important to realize that many of the characters in MBotF are improtant. important, that is to say they are exposed to power and special information. The average soldier, or even the commom peasant working within the walls of Genabaris surely don't know about tiste, or even ascendants for that matter (maybe the average soldier though, especially if in one arm's host. alot of exposure with them)

#4 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:59 AM

At least there are no religious conflicts like with the Israeli and Palestinians.

#5 User is offline   Tarr 

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:15 AM

The reason I asked about MD and FL is because they are in the deck and are probably well known I mean the other 3 houses kings and queen are among the biggest religons we have seen.

They may not know about the tiste but people almost definatly know about mother dark, and considering her power level who wouldn't join her religon?

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:30 AM

I think you're expecting too much of the people.

First off the people don't worship single gods in monotheistic religions. Think of it like how people in the roman empire worshipped an entire pantheon. There was the established "state" gods - Jupiter, Pluto, Ceres, etc. - and there were all the imported gods like the christian type cults, the pagans, etc.

In the malazan empire there's a host of cults, but like Toc says... at least I think it's toc... The malazan people or the seven cities natives don't give worship or hold celebrations in the gods name because they want them. They give them what is coming to them, so that they hopefully leave them alone. Ascendants are a bad thing, they bring conflict and disaster and death normally follow in their wake.

People don't know everything about the pantheon, and I doubt they go get a deck reading every week. Very few people, even among the mage community will know about the Elder Gods and what came before the deck.

#7 User is offline   Flawed 

• Flawed
  • Group: Team Handsome
  • Interests:winning the lotto
  • Id like some peace....

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:31 AM

Perhaps they are worshipped through association?

Isn't there a Human aspected Warren for most of the Elder Warrens?

Rashen?..... Isn't that the Human version of Darkness and I'm sure they have temples and such.

So its just a question of racial recognition.

er............. Handsome
"I think i was a bad person before. Before this time. I do not try to be good now but i am not bad. Perhaps if i try harder i may get a better hand dealt next time? But surely that makes it pointless? Perhaps i am good. Just good at being pointless. But that would make me bad. Bad at having a point. Ah…. I see now. I was nothing before, I am nothing now. I am bad purely because im pointless. "

EQ 10

#8 User is offline   Nequam 

• High Fist

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:11 AM

Ain said:

At least there are no religious conflicts like with the Israeli and Palestinians.

Who says there isn't?
..Besides that conflict isn't so much a religous one, but more of a "who should get this land" type of thing. They each say they have a right to it.

But about the MD thing: Other than the fact that many people probably don't know about her, she also isn't very involved. Would you rather worship a god that has affected your life, that you know notices your worship and praise and might reward you for it? Or a god that seems to not even exist, and is supposedly the mother of a whole 'nother race from a diferent world?
It also comes down to their profession I guess. Soldiers are much more likely to end up worshiping a war related god. Farmers might worship anything from a local god like Scilisara (I think I spelled it wrong), or Burn or something.

#9 User is offline   DCS 

• Recruit

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:51 AM

Nequam;313495 said:

But about the MD thing: Other than the fact that many people probably don't know about her, she also isn't very involved.

I think this is a real determining factor with religion in Wu. Most of the human gods/goddesses that we've seen worshiped are those that take an active interest in affairs. Fener, Poliel, Togg/Fanderay (recently), have all taken direct action at various points whereas with the Elder Gods, most of them have turned away from that active a role and work instead by other means. Osserc is still worshipped by the TL but hasn't responed to their prayers, so why would he respond to humans even if they started worshiping him? Same with MD and the Andii and obviously Scabandari's in no shape to respond to anyone. Also remember that with regard to the Malazan Empire it was repeatedly mentioned that both Kellanvad and Laseen were determined to expunge cults of worship to various ascendants to ensure that the Empire would not fall under their control. The best example we have of that statement is at the end of BH in the conversation Shadowthrone had with Tayschrenn. I'm interested to see what happens if Paran does gain some worshipers, does he take Rake's stance and deny everyone or does he go Errants way and start killing off his worshipers...lots of fun will ensue either way methinks :p

#10 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:54 AM

Nequam;313495 said:

But about the MD thing: Other than the fact that many people probably don't know about her, she also isn't very involved. Would you rather worship a god that has affected your life, that you know notices your worship and praise and might reward you for it? Or a god that seems to not even exist, and is supposedly the mother of a whole 'nother race from a diferent world?

This is probably why there is only a small Cult Of Rashan, rather then a full-blown religion, while warrens/aspects that have more active gods have full-blown religions.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#11 User is offline   Tarr 

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:21 AM

Was it bidthadal or something who worshipped rashan? why not MD or one of the worshippers? he knew about the degaroth but not about MD?

I doubt that scillara god of Yghatan took an interest in affairs, although the point about the soldiers is noted.

#12 User is offline   Nequam 

• High Fist

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:42 PM

Tarr;313542 said:

Was it bidthadal or something who worshipped rashan? why not MD or one of the worshippers? he knew about the degaroth but not about MD?

I doubt that scillara god of Yghatan took an interest in affairs, although the point about the soldiers is noted.

I don't think Bidithal worshipped a warren, but I know he was trying to start a cult (I assumed it was aimed to make people start worshipping him in some manner)
Scillara (...or is Scilasara? I still can't remember her name) was the only local god I could think of for any place. So that's who I mentioned. I was just using her as an example to show why MD would not be a big candidate for many (well at least human) worshippers. But who knows, why can't she be involved with what goes on with all the olive famers/olive oil makers?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users