Malazan Empire: clubbing those poor little cute baby seals or controlling a nuisance population? - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

clubbing those poor little cute baby seals or controlling a nuisance population?

#1 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:58 PM

in the sealing news

interesting facts.

Environmentalist groups are such slant-mongers. Pisses me off sometimes how fallacious the facts they promote can be.

Dunno about the seal killing issue itself though. It surprises me that my Governement still lets the cull continue with all the negative pressure they've been getting.

Is there any research on other means of control and fish crop protection?
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:02 PM

Uhm is there missing a link or something in this thread or are you just venting? Are we discussing whether seals deserve to get beaten to death?

If we are, then personally, I've always wanted to try a baby seal burger...

EDIT I see you posted the link in the "Soviet Rape Seal" thread:

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...round/sealhunt/

I don't know what to say to it. I like seals. I think they are cute and I wouldn't hurt one unless I was starving, but unfortunantly some people make a living off them.

Mmmhh, baby seal meat...

#3 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:10 PM

thanks...fixed above
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#4 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:35 PM

"My real name is Beelzebub, but you can call me Beelz
I love to watch Fox news and then go club some baby seals
Then I'll take a bubble bath and drink a zinfandel
Try to wash off that baby seal smell
And then I'll make a toast to me
Hey, here's to my hell...th
My name is Satan. Ah Hah!"

Love that song...thanks for reminding me of it!

#5 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:33 PM

So a baby seal walks into a club...
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#6 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:51 PM

cerveza_fiesta;301619 said:

Environmentalist groups are such slant-mongers. Pisses me off sometimes how fallacious the facts they promote can be.

You think :D They're in general the most misleading-propoganda ridden of any groups.

Take for example foxhunting. Now the ickle coo coo ce-choo foxy woxy puppy wuppys don't get hunted by the big nasty toff-nosed snobs. Must be good, right?
Bovine residue - they still need to kill the damn things to stop them stealing poultry etc, except now they poison them, which is indiscriminate, therefore kills many other animals, and a hell of a lot more painful for the fox anyway.

The lesson from this story? Animal rights campaigners talk a load of horse manure, in general.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#7 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:19 PM

Meh, I was more against foxhunting for the fact it'll piss off all those upper class bastards with their chin allowance stuck into their teeth more than the safety of the foxes. Now automated fox-activated sentry guns, THAT I can get behind!
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#8 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:19 PM

Not to mention that the fall in number of killer whales makes seals a pest along the coast. In norway they clear out whole ecosystems
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#9 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:47 AM

@illy

I was hoping for directional sonic cannons that could just crush their skulls underwater. Something like this:

Eat SOUND bitches!

but way more powerful and concentrated so it kills
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:19 AM

cerveza_fiesta;302111 said:

@illy

I was hoping for directional sonic cannons that could just crush their skulls underwater. Something like this:

Eat SOUND bitches!

but way more powerful and concentrated so it kills

Man that's awesome. I want one of those.

#11 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:21 AM

Illuyankas;301999 said:

Meh, I was more against foxhunting for the fact it'll piss off all those upper class bastards with their chin allowance stuck into their teeth more than the safety of the foxes. Now automated fox-activated sentry guns, THAT I can get behind!

See I was FOR fox hunting for a similar reason.

You know how the aristocracy are very inbred and stupid?

And you know how accidents when hunting with guns are common, a la Dick Cheney style?

Well, 2 + 2 = 4 and a progressive, eco-friendly cull of the landed gentry. :D

#12 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:04 AM

Illuyankas;301999 said:

Which I think says all we really need to know about modern day politics.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#13 User is offline   Nequam 

• High Fist

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:51 PM

About the seals...

I don't really think it's all that bad as long as it doesn't get out of control and we end up with an endangered species somehow. Sure some of them are cute, but I bet they're tasty too!

...I wonder what it feels like to club a baby seal. Hmmmmm. :D

#14 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:29 PM

They are a nuisance species now because of the absence of the next step up in the food chain. Sharks and toothed whales are all super endangered now too, so there is nothing at all to predate the seals. The whales and sharks are "functionally extinct" meaning that they still exist, but have little to no effect on their food chain. Without predators, the seal numbers get out of control and you have massive population crashes throughout the food chain as the seals decimate everything small enough to be edible, which causes huge surges in everything too small to be edible. Balance is thrown and the oceans end up full of more resilient species like mussels, barnacles, clams, crabs and jellyfish. The seals eventually die of starvation.

Truly I view the seal cull as a preventative measure protect natural and captive fish stocks. Not that current numbers are going to decimate fish populations, but seals breed like crazy and in a few decades, they would be present in numbers capable of literally stripping the ocean of fish. It's probably a good thing when you forget about ethics and look at it from a biological standpoint.

That's my less-than-educated view on the subject though. Anybody have a good counterargument?
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#15 User is offline   Sexy Beast 

• Recruit

Posted 08 May 2008 - 04:59 PM

Organizations like Peta and such piss me off. Theyre all a bunch of ignorant people, protesting situations they dont even understand. Also I hate how they get celebrities who are also ignorant to join them and make speeches to try and appeal to the general public who know even less than them. There also out there harassing sealers and fishermen and such. those peoples jobs tend to be dangerous enough without protestors buzzing around them in little boats buggin and distracting them, gettin in the way. plus as has been stated above we need to kill seals due to overpopulation. and huntin seals has been goin on for just about forever with the eskimos and such and good luck with gettin them to stop. anyway my angry rant is done.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users