• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Terry Gilliam movies

#21 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:00 AM

Holy Grail and Fear and Loathing only good enough? Blasphemy.
Error: Signature not valid

#22 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:01 AM

I have a slightly unhealthy passion for Baron Munchausen (the nude Uma Thurman might have a teensy-tiny bit to do with that) and really like the rest of Gilliam's films. Brazil is both a work of genius and, as a Civil Servant, something I find myself recognising - and there's that absolutely killer ending. His films generally look great; which is something I'll forgive a film a lot for doing.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#23 User is offline   Tif the Barber Boy 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:58 AM

If I remember correctly, the studio stepped in and took control over Brothers Grimm at an early stage, not allowing Terry Gilliam to do what he wanted with the movie because they were worried he was going to go overboard in terms of budget and weirdness. I think thats why the movie ended up being more 'vanilla' than people were anticipating.

Gilliam has a (perhaps undeservedly) bad reputation with studios in this regard because Baron Munchausen was over budget and flopped at the box office. Funding was also pulled for Gilliam's Don Quixote movie (starring Johnny Depp) in the middle of filming due to a series of unfortunate events on (and off) the set. I really recommend the documentary 'Lost in la Mancha' at a behind the scenes look at the disastrous attempt to make that movie.

Its pretty sad that a director this talented finds it difficult to get his movies made. 12 Monkeys, Brazil, Fear & Loathing and 'Fisher King' were all brilliant. I still haven't seen Tideland though.

#24 User is offline   RatManHEB 

• Corporal

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:23 PM

Baron Munchausen!!! Gigantic headless amorous beings flying around in space (one of which just happens to be Robin Williams). Good stuff as a kid, Great stuff now. Just got a new dvd version here in the states.

12 Monkeys and Fear and Loathing are extremely awesome.

Brazil and Time Bandits hold a special place in my heart.

Never seen any of the other ones.

#25 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:33 AM

Apparently Gilliam is finally going to be able to make The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, a film he first attempted to make back in 2002 I think, but something went wrong in the first week of filming, and investors pulled their money, and people filed lawsuits, and insurance companies came calling...But apparently it's all been sorted now and is set to star Jonny Depp.

#26 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:03 PM

Brazil and Fisher King are two of my favourite movies, I've seen both many times. And how can you not love Time Bandits or Baron Munchhausen? Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Jabberwocky and - though not as good IMO - Tideland are brilliant but in a way that makes you feel nauseous, disoriented and psychotic (meaning they're great too). 12 Monkeys is also very good. Brothers Grimm I didn't even make it through.

#27 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:38 PM

There's been an astonishingly persistant rumour that Gilliam wants to make a film of Good Omens. Considering they've been saying that for more than fifteen years, on the other hand, I'm not holding my breath.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#28 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:09 PM

He also wanted to make a film of Don Quixote...And that didn't turn out so well.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#29 User is offline   Whelp 

• Fist

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:59 AM

Tif the Barber Boy;297784 said:

Funding was also pulled for Gilliam's Don Quixote movie (starring Johnny Depp) in the middle of filming due to a series of unfortunate events on (and off) the set. I really recommend the documentary 'Lost in la Mancha' at a behind the scenes look at the disastrous attempt to make that movie.

Seconded - and too bad that the actual movie was not made...

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users