• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just finished MT and Wow!!

#1 User is offline   CatKillerJoe 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:55 AM

I have never been more blown away by the end of a book then I was with this one! There is so much that happens in those last few chapters but I must say that the Edur or lucky to be alive!

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:28 AM

Yes, it is perhaps the best of the books, maybe just surpassed by the level of ascendant awesome in MoI.

Now just wait untill you read RG and get blown away all over again.

#3 User is offline   Ahk-Thenrah 

• Corporal

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:53 AM

Have to agree, MT is one of my favourite books, especially on rereads, it just gets better, cos then you truly appreciate the genius of tehol and bugg, and the plots and subplots are fantastic. but apt is right, if you loved MT, wait till you read reapers gale, its mindblowingly good.

Mindblowingly, is it a word? it is now.

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:07 AM

RG is probably the worst of Eriksons books but its still awesome. But not mindblowing, rather disconcerting.

#5 User is offline   chthonian 

• Corporal

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:15 AM

i agree, MT is purely awesome on a reread... i didn't quite get it on my first read-through as it established so many characters and i think i wasn't too into it initially, so by the end i was a bit lost, but the second time was amazing! makes you realise so much stuff, i loved it!

not really sure which book it my personal favourite though, i loved DG, MoI and GotM, as well as MT, and BH and RG were sweet because of there pure awesomeness, even HoC had its moments... what am i saying, "MBotF is wicked! i S2 SE!!!! =D"

hahaha!

#6 User is offline   Ahk-Thenrah 

• Corporal

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:37 AM

Have to agree again chthonian, because it introduces so many new characters, its hard to fully grasp on first read. also, i have this problem with MBotF, once started, i just cant put them down. i was both lucky and unlucky in the respect that i didn't get into them until MT actually came out, so i had all five books at once, one of the best christmases ever, and i literally locked myself away until i had finished all of. i think i once went without sleep for two days, as i was so desperate to find out what happened next. Just amazing. but to be honest, i don't have a fave book, they're all too damn good.

However, the one i most enjoyed on reread was deffo MT, because everything just became that much clearer.

#7 User is offline   The Dark Wanderer 

• Captain

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:09 PM

MT becomes so much clearer after reading RG as well as so many stories which are set-up in MT come to fruitition (sp?) in RG and then reading MT again means you realise once again just how clever SE really is.

#8 User is offline   CatKillerJoe 

• Recruit

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:58 PM

It is a tie between MT and DHG for my favorite, but of all the books I can't remember being as emotrionaly involved with almost all the characters as I was with this one. Especially the Ceda and Brys I thought they were a good pair in contrast with Bugg and Tehol.

#9 User is offline   Ahk-Thenrah 

• Corporal

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:06 PM

i have to say well done joe, as on my first read through MT i found it was quite hard to follow, although it has to be said that i was in a rush to get through it.
The fact that you came to grasps with it so quickly, and the emotions involved make me think that you are quite intelligent(and maybe a bit soppy :o )
Having said that, as has been stated before, SE tends to attract a higher calibre of reader on the IQ scale.

#10 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:31 PM

I'm looking forward to my reread of MT (I'll finish MoI tonight) because I didn't think it was that great the first time. (Good? Absolutely, but easily my least favorite of the first 6 books.)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#11 User is offline   Elan Morin Tedronai 

• Captain

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:31 PM

First read of MT was kinda hard to get into for me as well, being a completely new setting. Always have a hard time getting into the story for some reason :o plus I didn't really like the Edur storyline at first. But I loved Bugg/Tehol from the first scene on, just the genius hilarity of it made it awesome beyond words :) about halfway in I really got comfortable with the whole storyline and completed it in one evening. The ending is pretty amazing aye, still nothing compared to MoI ofcourse but still pretty damn good :p on rereads MT made it to second favorite of all books sofar. Hugely due to Tehol/Bugg :p

#12 User is offline   CatKillerJoe 

• Recruit

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:07 PM

It took me a while to get excited about it, the entire book is uphill till about the middle of book three then once you get to the climax and you realize ((having read the prior books that the Edur do become imperial and such)) it becomes one of the best ones yet. I think what I am most excited about is, what will happen when all these MT characters and mindsets finally are exposed to the Malazans and all that we already know. I think it is going to be awesome!

#13 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:46 PM

Dear Mr Erikson

Why did the Ceda have to die?

#14 User is offline   CatKillerJoe 

• Recruit

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:14 AM

I would like an answer to that as well.

#15 User is offline   chthonian 

• Corporal

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:48 AM

Dolorous Menhir;294597 said:

Dear Mr Erikson

To pave the way for RG... =D

Kuru Qan was wicked though, made me want to paint that scene in the hallway of the throne-room though, I still want to do it! Was immense =D

#16 User is offline   CatKillerJoe 

• Recruit

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:01 PM

I would love to see that. The power he was channeling right then must have been an awesome sight to see to make the edur present flip out the way they did.

#17 User is offline   RatManHEB 

• Corporal

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:50 PM

Dolorous Menhir;294597 said:

Dear Mr Erikson

Trull needed to throw his spear at something. hehe

Seriously though. This was an awesome book. Bits of HoC started to wear on me but this book was "wow". So many great characters. Trull and Rhulad Senger make the Edur interesting for me. Tehol and Bugg, I don't think there's anyone here who doesn't love them. Udinaas, I love his ability to tell anyone and everyone to piss off. Shurq Elalle is a necrophiliac's dream come true. hehehe Not going to linger on that one for very long. Ublala Pung.. ah now here is a character I truly can relate to. We are very much alike, except for the muscles and the.. well.. muscle. We just want to be loved.

But Rat Catchers.. They seriously frighten me.

Wait until BH and RG. Very good stuff. I actually liked BH a bit more. Call me crazy, you wouldn't be the first.

#18 User is offline   Tehol Beddict 

• Corporal

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:23 PM

I liked MT, but I found a few of the Edur parts kinda... dull. I much prefered Tehol and Bugg in that book, but my favourite books were probably MoI, HoC and tBH... but whatever. MT is still one of my favourite books, and it was a masterpiece... Cheers:D:p
Bugg: 'What will you be doing today, master?'
Tehol: 'Why, I think I shall go back to bed.'

#19 User is offline   Scarecrow 

• Recruit

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:45 AM

MT has one of the best endings I've ever read. The way the story flips from the one side winning to the other and back and forth. And in the end such a sad ending the way Brys dies.

#20 User is offline   cole Orlong 9th Squad BB 

• Recruit

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:23 PM

I thought this was a great book ( only read once so far), I agree with most that its not DG or MoI but that being said great book. I particularly enjoyed the role of the Edur and the notion that while they have expanded to conquer and gain an empire, they had to actually fall and not rise to acquire it. They are so ripe to form a broken empire, a people who think they are the betrayed when they are the betrayers. There is such a clash of cultures between the Letherii and themselves. The crippled Gods influence on the empire is evident in building a new culture with the worst of two, with the top men being an insane emperor and a malformed malcious warlock. With all that there was also Tehol and Bugg/Mael who just made me laugh out loud. It's been a long time since someone has wrote comedy that has made me laugh as much as Douglas Adams.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users