#4421 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 31 March 2021 - 10:23 PM

View PostD, on 31 March 2021 - 07:59 PM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 31 March 2021 - 06:09 PM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 31 March 2021 - 04:59 AM, said:

Whoa, a quiz show? That was... something else.

Also, remarkable how no one ever told me how much the new Deus Ex games ripped off Ergo Proxy's fashion and the black + gold filter.

Yeahhh definetly an original idea for an info dump episode

I can tolerate that sort of stuff for recap episodes, but I don't like them doing it to shoe-horn in exposition that should've been worked into the story naturally.

Sadly Ergo proxy ran out of time for all its ideas.

#4422 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 01 April 2021 - 05:46 PM

View PostD, on 31 March 2021 - 01:39 PM, said:

Also, remarkable how no one ever told me how much the new Deus Ex games ripped off Ergo Proxy's fashion and the black + gold filter.

How are you enjoying it so far Ment? Personally I was not at all a fan of Ergo Proxy.

The quiz show is definitely... an odd choice. (And the other episode that is kind of like that)

Up to Episode 18 now. It's certainly starting to plod a bit.

Gonna finish it this long weekend, I hope.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#4423 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:47 PM

View PostMentalist, on 01 April 2021 - 05:46 PM, said:

How are you enjoying it so far Ment? Personally I was not at all a fan of Ergo Proxy.

The quiz show is definitely... an odd choice. (And the other episode that is kind of like that)

Cool, cool. And then it's onto the next show in your backlog, Star Twinkle Precure?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4424 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:42 AM

New season stuff I've picked up and thoughts:

Fruits Basket Final: it's Fruits Basket, it's cutesy hopeful times undercut with mental anguish and abuse. You know what you get at this point tbh.

Dragon Goes Househunting: Has the potential to be shenanigans. Mostly filler at this point.

Higehiro: Premise seems inherently suspect. Actual content is wholesome. Seems focused on the message 'you are precious and should not undervalue yourself'.

Koikimo: Kind of creepy rom-com. Hoping that there's some more character development from the main dude and that his arc is losing the sleazebag ways.

Combatants Will Be Dispatched: Sci-Fi Konosuba. It's not even trying to hide it. Lacks the charm of Konosuba one episode in.

Seven Knights: generic fantasy tbh. Filler. Could be fun.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4425 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 07 April 2021 - 02:46 AM

View PostD, on 01 April 2021 - 06:47 PM, said:

Cool, cool. And then it's onto the next show in your backlog, Star Twinkle Precure?

Well the choices now are

Last Exile
FMA
Noir
Darker than Black
Deadman Wonderland
The Big O
Trigun

Or go on a Gundam binge (Wing, X, SEED, Turn A, 00, AGE, Reconquista)

Decisions, decisions....
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#4426 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:04 AM

View PostMentalist, on 07 April 2021 - 02:46 AM, said:

Well the choices now are

Last Exile
FMA
Noir
Darker than Black
Deadman Wonderland
The Big O
Trigun

Decisions, decisions....

Been on a Gundam binge myself recently probably going to dip my toes into the old stuff and certainly recommend adding 08MS team or what its called to the must watch ones.

Also Darker than Black, FMA, Trigun and Last Exile you got some good stuff ahead.

This post has been edited by Chance: 07 April 2021 - 07:05 AM

#4427 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:41 AM

Picked up a couple more.

Vivy - Fluorite Eyes' Song: time bullshit with a story based on AI agency which I'm a sucker for. First two episodes were pretty good.

Saint's Magic is Omnipotent: initially seemed like just another iseki / hero summoning, except the main character turns out not to be the hero and instead goes into alchemical research. The first episode was good.

#4428 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:15 AM

View PostMentalist, on 07 April 2021 - 02:46 AM, said:

View PostD, on 01 April 2021 - 06:47 PM, said:

Well the choices now are

Last Exile
FMA
Noir
Darker than Black
Deadman Wonderland
The Big O
Trigun

Decisions, decisions....

Well, I suppose Gundam and Precure are, like, practically the same thing so I forgive you ^_^

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4429 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:38 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 06 April 2021 - 07:42 AM, said:

New season stuff I've picked up and thoughts:

Yeah I watched waaaaaaay too much anime over the Easter weekend, too. Good timing, that, with the new season starting.

New stuff:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 06 April 2021 - 07:42 AM, said:

Fruits Basket Final: it's Fruits Basket, it's cutesy hopeful times undercut with mental anguish and abuse. You know what you get at this point tbh.
I'm still not caught up on the previous season. Seems like there is way too much stuff to watch this spring, but hopefully I can find time to catch up with this for the finale.

Dragon Goes Househunting: Has the potential to be shenanigans. Mostly filler at this point.
I liked the slimes scene more than any of the dragon scenes, honestly, but yeah I agree it has potential. The encounter with the reality TV hero squad was funnier than I thought it would be.

Higehiro: Premise seems inherently suspect. Actual content is wholesome. Seems focused on the message 'you are precious and should not undervalue yourself'.

Koikimo: Kind of creepy rom-com. Hoping that there's some more character development from the main dude and that his arc is losing the sleazebag ways.

Combatants Will Be Dispatched: Sci-Fi Konosuba. It's not even trying to hide it. Lacks the charm of Konosuba one episode in.

Seven Knights: generic fantasy tbh. Filler. Could be fun.

[...]

Vivy - Fluorite Eyes' Song: time bullshit with a story based on AI agency which I'm a sucker for. First two episodes were pretty good.
Visually, this looks really impressive. Only seen some clips so far, but I will definitely watch this just for the visuals alone, and hopefully the story is good, too. This is by Studio Wit, isn't it? Be interesting to see them tackle an original again after Attack on Titan was killing them for the last few years. Probably won't be as amazing as Rolling Girls, 'cause nothing is, but might get close!

Saint's Magic is Omnipotent: initially seemed like just another iseki / hero summoning, except the main character turns out not to be the hero and instead goes into alchemical research. The first episode was good.
I didn't really like the first episode. No major gripes, just lots of little things, like shouting at an unconscious guy to drink the potion over and over instead of just pouring it into his mouth. And the worldbuilding annoys me... like why are the people who make potions treated as if they're emergency doctors when they don't show any other medical knowledge/skill? Surely anybody can pour a potion in a wounded person's mouth. And the main character girl did this huge gasp of surprise when she went into the room as if it was full of rotting corpses but it turned out to just be a some guys leaning against the wall with bruises and a bit of blood on their shirts. I dunno, the story wasn't necessarily bad, but everything just sort of feels "off" and/or lazy about it and it bugs me.

Also checked out:

Jouran: Princes of Snow and Blood -- Has a kinda cool aesthetic, mixing classic Japanese swordplay with umbrella-crossbows and half-animal monster people. Some small bits of the story were a little annoying but worth checking out/continuing to see where it goes. Might be a really solid revenge story after all.

Masahiro no Oto -- First episode was suuuuuper fast-paced but they pulled it off and I'm totally hooked. 99% sure already this'll be my favourite of the season, the theme and the music performance is just beautiful. And then they ended the episode on an amazing cliffhanger so I'm even more excited for next episode.

SSSS.Dynazenon -- Feels *exactly* like SSSS.Gridman, so I guess that's mostly good, and plus side no amnesia characters this time. I have no nostalgia for this franchise but it's trigger so what the heck.

Burning Kabbadi -- Seems like a pretty typical high school sports show, all the characters feel like they could be right out of Slam Dunk or Haikyu or Prince of Tennis or whatever. But Kabbadi is an interesting different sport to cover, and it wasn't bad per se, so I'll stick with it for now.

Shaman King remake -- I never watched the original, was it good? Why does no one ever button up their shirt in this anime?!

Yeesh and there's still like half a dozen more series I want to check out this spring, why is this season so ridiculously packed???!!!

ALSO I finished off these ones from last season this weekend:

Horimiya -- Binge-watched the last 5 episodes. You can tell it is adapting just a tiny piece of an enormous manga so characters and plot points are showing up and disappearing all over the place, but the individual parts of episodes are fun, and it looks gorgeous.

Re:Zero season 2 -- Y'know what, they actually ended the season pretty good. I was finding it a slog in the middle of the season when it was huge flashback after huge flashback and not much was happening, but when they finally wrapped it all up it brought back a lot of charm.

Sk8 the infinite -- Just like it started, it was a visually exciting climax with a death-defying skateboard race, but the characters definitely didn't get any more likeable and the the way it kept trying to reinforce that "skating is supposed to be fun!" while the racers are trying to murder each other didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Log Horizon season 3 -- Great final arc and final episode, and then they leave us on a tease for what comes next that will probably never actually get adapted (or it'll take 5 years until they do) those bastards!

Phew, that was a lot. We should have COVID-lockdown easter long weekends more often, I'd get through so much of my backlog! ^_^

#4430 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:53 AM

Oh I forgot about Oto which I am also watching - I picked that up purely because shamisen is fucking cool. Jouran is on my to-check list.

I gave Full Dive a whirl this morning. It's dumbass but enjoyable enough despite coming over as slightly trash.

The two shows I am most anticipating are Max Level Witch (Slime-Nen? IDK the shorthand but it's my favourite LN series) and 86 of which the first LN was really impressive. MLW is what I'd call an isekai Non Non Biyori with additional shenanigans (very chilled out and there's not really any high stakes going on) and 86 is all about war, racism, duty and other edgy stuff that makes you think of dour faces like the Oni in Slime had before Rimsy made them all happy.

#4431 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:47 PM

I'm looking forward to those 2 as well. Both start this weekend, I think?

#4432 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 09 April 2021 - 07:53 AM

Saturday for both.

Zombieland Saga Revenge seems to be on an interesting tack in that the band is washed up and lost their success. Can they make a comeback? Will Tae munch heads? FIND OUT

#4433 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 10 April 2021 - 02:27 PM

Slime Witch is off to a good start! So comfy

#4434 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 12 April 2021 - 12:28 AM

Yet another spring show on my list now... Pretty Boys Detective Club. Exactly what it sounds like, but the characters have so much energy it's pretty charming.

And it looks amazing

Posted Image

#4435 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 12 April 2021 - 07:49 AM

View PostD, on 10 April 2021 - 02:27 PM, said:

Slime Witch is off to a good start! So comfy

This is pretty much the series' default. Any peril or conflict is incredibly mofumofu and resolved quickly purely so Azusa can enjoy the comfy once more as quickly as possible.

Ep 1 of 86 on the other hand was serious, gritty, bleak... Faithful to the source material. I enjoyed it rather a lot.

Oto ep2 was... well, let's just say I enjoyed shamisen before on occasion but it's pretty menkle to see it as a focal point. Sounds so damn good.

Shadows House was kind of weird. Not sure if it's an enjoyable weird yet - but worth pushing to ep 2 for sure.

#4436 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:44 AM

To Your Eternity - now this was weird and cool in a very interesting way. The first episode didn't go anywhere near as I'd expected it to. Could be one to watch out for, especially as it's posited at 20 episodes. I'll not say more because it's one to watch and find out.

Jouran ep 1 - was weird and not really in a good way. Felt very disjointed and whilst the aesthetic was cool overall, the MC going rage mode seemed to take the art back to the days of Claymore which felt quite jarring (and it feels like this will happen a lot). I'll see if the next episodes pick up a bit, I think.

#4437 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:44 AM

Not sure if you'll watch D, but Slime Diaries is airing. Spinoff of That Time - and it's basically the comfy life of the monster nation as they farm, craft stuff and generally moeblob about with zero threat or war or dying. It's aight.

#4438 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 14 April 2021 - 02:00 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 14 April 2021 - 07:44 AM, said:

Not sure if you'll watch D, but Slime Diaries is airing. Spinoff of That Time - and it's basically the comfy life of the monster nation as they farm, craft stuff and generally moeblob about with zero threat or war or dying. It's aight.

If there wasn't so much else to watch this season I probably would, but since it is I won't. Or maybe I'll binge it all in one weekend at the end of the season if the mood takes me.

Oto Masahiro ep 2 - daaaaaamn that vocal duet was intense and gorgeous. Crazy mom being a powerful singer is a cool dynamic, I wasn't expecting it at all.

#4439 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 April 2021 - 03:32 PM

Reading this thread makes me wish I had more time to watch anime....as it stands I barely get enough time to keep up with NARUTO SHIPPUDEN, and DEMON SLAYER...but there's a bunch of stuff I want to watch and simply don't have the time.

I'll just live vicariously through you lot.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4440 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:21 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 April 2021 - 03:32 PM, said:

Reading this thread makes me wish I had more time to watch anime....as it stands I barely get enough time to keep up with NARUTO SHIPPUDEN, and DEMON SLAYER...but there's a bunch of stuff I want to watch and simply don't have the time.

I'll just live vicariously through you lot.

The secret is to never ever sleep

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users