Malazan Empire: The Canada Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 47 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Canada Politics Thread American politics' smaller less interesting cousin!

#41 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:26 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 10 February 2015 - 03:05 PM, said:

Anybody read anything about why John Baird resigned?

There's been a lot of speculation but I can't find anything reliable. Health problem makes sense for a snap decision like that, which seems to be the predominant theory, at least among reasonable journalists.

Among the more ridiculous news sources, conspiracy/scandal theories abound...I figure the poor guy just got cancer or something though.

I just assumed it was because someone suddenly approached him with a 14-figure corporate board of directors-type job, and he didn't really feel like going through another election, so he jumped at it.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#42 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:23 AM

I don't any of you shmucks live Alberta but I'm pretty sure we just had historic voting numbers and might vote in the NDP after 44 years of Conservative rule. This is both exciting in terms of voting turnout, and both, if the they are voted in, the policy changes to Alberta. Fuck I hope to god PCs are voted out and Wildrose aren't voted in but I'm pretty sure of the populace of Alberta has some kind of collective Stockholm syndrome when it comes to conservative policies as if they haven't gutted education and healthcare.

#43 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:27 AM

View PostStudlock, on 06 May 2015 - 01:23 AM, said:

I don't any of you shmucks live Alberta but I'm pretty sure we just had historic voting numbers and might vote in the NDP after 44 years of Conservative rule. This is both exciting in terms of voting turnout, and both, if the they are voted in, the policy changes to Alberta. Fuck I hope to god PCs are voted out and Wildrose aren't voted in but I'm pretty sure of the populace of Alberta has some kind of collective Stockholm syndrome when it comes to conservative policies as if they haven't gutted education and healthcare.

Oh man, I dunno if Alberta would ever collectively do away with Conservative policies. It would certainly be nice to see, I'll tell you...but man that is the one province where Cons have the biggest hold on the populace in Canada. It would be nice to see that change, but I woud not hold my breath.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#44 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:43 AM

It really would be a blow to the federal PCs conservative stronghold but again I'm super cynical in the Alberta's people want for change despite every shitty thing that has, and is happening in the province, not to mention the petty corruption and abuse of public funds can be laid at the PCs feet. The polls shown NDP to be leading coming into todays elections with the Wildrose in the second and the PC closely behind them. And while I do hope NDP is voted in I doubt it'll effect much change. But just a little is better than what we're getting.

#45 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:52 AM

NDP, majority gov't in Alberta and it wasn't even close. Mind=blown. I can't wait to see the voting demographics.

#46 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:49 AM

View PostStudlock, on 06 May 2015 - 03:52 AM, said:

NDP, majority gov't in Alberta and it wasn't even close. Mind=blown. I can't wait to see the voting demographics.

Holy shit! I'll be damned. That's like unheard of.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#47 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:26 AM

Well, that's a good sign for the federal elections, I guess?

Incidentally, , what do my fellow Ontarians think about the teachers' strike?
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#48 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:44 AM

View PostMentalist, on 06 May 2015 - 11:26 AM, said:

Considering I have a fair number of friends who are teachers...I gotta side with them. More wages for those who teach our youth is never a bad thing.

#49 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:35 PM

Maybe, the conservative vote won't be split like it was in Alberta between the Wildrose and the PCs, put together that had more of the popular vote and if it wasn't split we'd probably either have a Wildrose or NDP minority government.

Also for Teachers strikes, I think it's imperative that all public employees have the ability to strike and demand terms because the the betterment of the livelihood of those employees pretty much guarantees them providing better service.

#50 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:29 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 May 2015 - 11:44 AM, said:

Considering I have a fair number of friends who are teachers...I gotta side with them. More wages for those who teach our youth is never a bad thing.

Our neighbours are a teacher couple. Stuff I hear from them is... not flattering. I'm wondering if this will have an effect on the Liberals' chances in the Fed. Election.

Also, as someone not incredibly familiar with this stuff: what exactly is Wildrose?
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#51 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:58 PM

It's an Albertan rightwing party. It's economically and socially more conservative than the PCs in Alberta who rose to political 'power' as a conservative alternative to the PCs because of the many petty corruptions and casual arrogance that plagued the PCs for the last couple years.

That being so I'm caution of placing the NDP victory in Alberta onto federal politics because the conservative voters won't be split between two parties (also I think Trudeau is an exciting option that a lot of NDP voters in Alberta might vote for). But I'm just a cynical person.

#52 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:24 PM

I think it is funny that the teachers union worked tirelessly for the liberals to avoid the things Hudak campaigned on, only to have the liberals essentially do the exact same things to them anyway.

I also think that Ontario is having a lot of trouble making ends meet and that teachers are having comparatively little trouble making ends meet.

As for being a "good sign" for federal elections, that is tougher to say.

First, is it any kind of sign for federal elections? Could be, could not be. The ridings are different, the leaders are different, and this was in many ways a protest vote much like Ontarians sweeping Bob Rae into power in the 90s. Also, the issues are different at the federal level, including a host of social conservative issues that the province has no control over.

Second, if it is, is it good? I mean, it is probably good to see the province not entrenched for a single party, making it more possible for any party to build wide consensus. But is it good to see them swaying to the NDP specifically? Depends entirely on what you think of the NDP.

This post has been edited by Nevyn: 06 May 2015 - 02:35 PM

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#53 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:50 PM

View PostMentalist, on 06 May 2015 - 01:29 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 May 2015 - 11:44 AM, said:

Our neighbours are a teacher couple. Stuff I hear from them is... not flattering. I'm wondering if this will have an effect on the Liberals' chances in the Fed. Election.

Also, as someone not incredibly familiar with this stuff: what exactly is Wildrose?

Alberta separatist party, yet they lean to the opposite side of the political spectrum the PQ does

Whether this has any effect on fed election, who knows. I'd rather not speculate on the matter till we're in elections. You also have to factor in federally, the left is split and the right is unified. It's the unfortunate consequence of the first past the post system (speaking of which Mulcair did say hed be game for election reform if elected just throwing it out there)

Not only is the NDP win impressive, but the PC is actually 3rd behind the wild rose party.

Haven't had a chance to follow the strike ill be honest. I do know historically speaking the teacher's union hasn't been the easiest to deal with. I also know teachers were subject to a pay freeze for the better part of a decade during the tories (earnie eaves i think?, i was a child at the time) and they started getting a pay raise again for a few years, then the crash happened.

This post has been edited by BalrogLord: 06 May 2015 - 04:58 PM

#54 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:31 PM

View PostNevyn, on 06 May 2015 - 02:24 PM, said:

I think it is funny that the teachers union worked tirelessly for the liberals to avoid the things Hudak campaigned on, only to have the liberals essentially do the exact same things to them anyway.

I also think that Ontario is having a lot of trouble making ends meet and that teachers are having comparatively little trouble making ends meet.

A big part of the problem is how it's laid out...(cribbed from the Star article about it for clarity sake)

There are two levels of bargaining for Ontario teachers: a local level between the union and the local school board, and a central level between the province, union leaders and school board associations.

Main monetary issues -- including wages, benefits and paid leave -- are negotiated at the central level, while working conditions specific to each school board are dealt with at the local level.

At the local level of bargaining, issues vary according to each board and often relate to administrative and human resources issues.

At the central level, the Ontario Secondary School Federation – the union representing Ontario's public secondary school teachers -- says it is most concerned about class sizes and teacher prep time.

And then here is the crux of why this has become an issue.

At the local level some school boards have accused the union of using the strike as a way of putting pressure on the province. The school boards say they can't reach a deal at the local level until a deal has been reached at the provincial level.

#55 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:53 PM

So how does everyone feel about Bill C-51? I was surprised that most Canadians are in favour for it.

My personal opinion it's protection it might or might not provide isn't really worth the cost. I also am super worried about it's vague language and be describe on First Nation protesters, environmental protesters, terrorists, and everything inbetween. I'm not sure it'll effect the here and now but I fear for the future in which the government can appeal to this to legally use force on a First Nation protest because they are 'anti-Canada' or whatever.

Maybe someone with legal trainer could take it apart better than me though?

#56 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:48 PM

THANK GODS

I'm glad to see that someone will now be looking for other ways for Alberta to contribute to Canadian dollars. The fact that the Cons kept Alberta as the oil font of North America and didn't foster anything much else in the economy there was pitiful. The Cons were always like "Well, if you stop the current level and system of oil coming out of Alberta the provincial economy will fall apart" which is bullshit-ese for "We don't want to find another way because this makes us rich assholes".

So it's nice to see Notley focused on helping Alberta become more environmentally sound...and as such POSSIBLY get Canada away from the Fossil Award (not a good award) it keeps sadly winning.

I mean it's not like the oil is going to cease flowing out of Alberta...but at least with the NDP in charge they will be focused on making it safer, less damaging to the environment, ect.

I'd love for the oil sands to cease completely, but you can't win them all.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 May 2015 - 12:52 PM

#57 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:55 PM

View PostStudlock, on 07 May 2015 - 11:53 PM, said:

So how does everyone feel about Bill C-51? I was surprised that most Canadians are in favour for it.

My personal opinion it's protection it might or might not provide isn't really worth the cost. I also am super worried about it's vague language and be describe on First Nation protesters, environmental protesters, terrorists, and everything inbetween. I'm not sure it'll effect the here and now but I fear for the future in which the government can appeal to this to legally use force on a First Nation protest because they are 'anti-Canada' or whatever.

Maybe someone with legal trainer could take it apart better than me though?

most canadians are in favour? according to what?

http://www.vice.com/...source=vicefbca
i know its vice but its a decent article

#58 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:37 PM

I remember seeing something on Global a couple nights ago. I'll look up a source when I get home though.

EDIT: couldn't find any polling data that suggested it was favoured. I must of just made it up or something.

This post has been edited by Studlock: 09 May 2015 - 02:41 AM

#59 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:56 PM

Well, the cabinet ministers/PM said they believed a majority of Canadians would be in favour, but I don't recall any actual reliable stats saying so either.

Maybe they should add it as a question to the long-form cen--

...nevermind

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#60 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:27 PM

View PostD, on 11 May 2015 - 01:56 PM, said:

Well, the cabinet ministers/PM said they believed a majority of Canadians would be in favour, but I don't recall any actual reliable stats saying so either.

Maybe they should add it as a question to the long-form cen--

...nevermind

why not just make it part of another omnibus budget. Not like theyd be making it a precedent

Share this topic:

• 47 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users