• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#29881 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 July 2023 - 08:27 PM

Simple free Spaced Repetition flashcard iOS app spacedrepetition has stopped letting me add folders or flashcards---brings up the gray screen of death. Restarting iPhone didn't help. Deleting and reinstalling might, but then I may have to reenter all the old flashcards (and the spaced repetition intervals would all reset...). Might be able to offload the app while keeping the relevant app data and reinstall, but I'm not sure, so I should write down what's on all the flashcards before trying it... which will be time consuming.

Tried contacting the app developer's 'support' before and they never responded. It hasn't been updated in more than 4 years, probably abandonware (though of course it still has annoying ads... which only display when I connect to the internet).

And I've been using it for about a year now, so that will be a lot of flashcards... most of them including lengthy formulas, definitions, and/or proofs....

#29882 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 July 2023 - 10:16 PM

View PostLady Bliss, on 01 July 2023 - 02:52 PM, said:

I don't mean to whine, but I woke up to a text from mom this morning saying that she wasn't sure where she has been the last month or whether she has remembered to take care of her dog. All I could do was assure her that she has been busy and that she talked about her dog every day to me. I hate this.

That ain't whining, that is genuinely painful stuff. It's personal in a way you might not wanna share all the time, but you certainly can vent or share here without ever worrying it's unreasonable.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#29883 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 02 July 2023 - 08:49 AM

View PostLady Bliss, on 01 July 2023 - 02:52 PM, said:

I don't mean to whine, but I woke up to a text from mom this morning saying that she wasn't sure where she has been the last month or whether she has remembered to take care of her dog. All I could do was assure her that she has been busy and that she talked about her dog every day to me. I hate this.

That's not a whine at all. I'm watching something similar with partner's grandma, she's gradually forgetting the family one by one. Everyone needs to vent when they're powerless to stop something so upsetting. We're all here.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#29884 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 03 July 2023 - 08:20 PM

Julia is pregnant, her manager plans to replace her on an upcoming project because he thinks being pregnant she wont be able to give the project her full attention. The manager has also said some derogaory things about the upcoming babies skin color, because her husband is black.

Is Julia being discriminated against?

Seriously what is the point of these DEI trainings. Is there a person alive who wouldn't crack this riddle?

#29885 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 July 2023 - 08:39 PM

View PostCause, on 03 July 2023 - 08:20 PM, said:

Julia is pregnant, her manager plans to replace her on an upcoming project because he thinks being pregnant she wont be able to give the project her full attention. The manager has also said some derogaory things about the upcoming babies skin color, because her husband is black.

Seriously what is the point of these DEI trainings. Is there a person alive who wouldn't crack this riddle?

Human diversity is vast and full of terrors. Especially in the United States. ('Diversity' there referring primarily to neurology, opinions, behaviors, etc...)

On a related note, I was just reading this:

Perhaps the most extreme developments in the UC system’s use of DEI statements are taking place on the Davis, Santa Cruz, Berkeley, and Riverside campuses, where pilot programs treat mandatory diversity statements not as one factor among many in an overall evaluation of candidates, but as a threshold test. [...] if a group of academics applied for jobs, their DEI statements would be read and scored, and only applicants with the highest DEI statement scores would make it to the next round. The others would never be evaluated on their research, teaching, or service. This is a revolutionary change in how to evaluate professors.

When UC Berkeley hired for life-sciences jobs through its pilot program, [... seventy-six percent of] qualified applicants were eliminated based on their DEI statements alone. [...] “As far as the university knew, these applicants could have well been the next Albert Einstein or Jonas Salk, or they might have been outstanding and innovative educators who would make a significant difference in students’ lives.”

At UC Davis, 50 percent of applicants in some searches were disqualified based on their DEI statements alone.

The Hypocrisy of Mandatory Diversity Statements

#29886 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 04 July 2023 - 12:46 AM

The point is to provide basically seeds of "you should not behave like this" and "if someone does behave somewhat like this, come talk to us". This level of crap really does happen - although getting it in writing is really tough.

Lot of sexual harassment going on too - the former governor of NY was doing a ton of it and finally got called out for it.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 04 July 2023 - 12:46 AM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#29887 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 04 July 2023 - 05:26 AM

Last week I was chatting to a lady we hired in the US while she was pregnant. The way her previous manager treated her before and after she was pregnant was awful. My jaw dropped at the stories. She was nearly crying she was so happy she was with us and her kid is 1 1/2 now. I remember her calling me when her maternity leave was up at 8 weeks. She had discovered she was entitled to another 8 weeks off but in that time she would have no employment protections so I could fire her for no reason if I wanted to. I asked if she was asking if I would fire her if she took the time off. Bearing in mind I had 52 weeks off during which I accrued annual leave and my annual bonus. Managing US women from the UK is so easy - they think we're heroes for offering basic compassion!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#29888 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 July 2023 - 02:27 PM

Tried to view my active automatic payments in Paypal. Navigated to 'automatic payments' and chose 'active'.

Instead of only showing automatic payments, it lists all companies I've made payments too, except for inactive automatic payments.

Wonder if they do this on purpose to make it harder for people to see their automatic payments (to keep them from cancelling...).

#29889 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 04 July 2023 - 06:26 PM

View Postamphibian, on 04 July 2023 - 12:46 AM, said:

The point is to provide basically seeds of "you should not behave like this" and "if someone does behave somewhat like this, come talk to us". This level of crap really does happen - although getting it in writing is really tough.

Lot of sexual harassment going on too - the former governor of NY was doing a ton of it and finally got called out for it.

I dont doubt these things happen but the example is ridicuously exagerated so as to be obvious. Also I imagine most people fall into 2 categories and they stay the same before and after the training. People who are not assholes are already know what shitty behaviour looks like and people who know but do it anyway.

#29890 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 08 July 2023 - 05:02 PM

The external hard drive I used for the bulk of my Steam games and GOG backup installers took a plunge off my desk and is no longer responding.

It was a 10 TB HDD, and it was nearly full. That's gonna take a while to replace.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#29891 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 July 2023 - 05:25 PM

View PostMentalist, on 08 July 2023 - 05:02 PM, said:

The external hard drive I used for the bulk of my Steam games and GOG backup installers took a plunge off my desk and is no longer responding.

It was a 10 TB HDD, and it was nearly full. That's gonna take a while to replace.

Best to have at least 2 or 3 backups if possible. Especially with HDD, since they're prone to fail even if no external physical damage occurs.

HDD space has gotten much less expensive---I got a 14 TB for $220.

While SSD are much less likely to fail they're of course more expensive, though the cost there has also gone down dramatically. I think I'll get a 2 TB for $100 (technically for $99*1.08*.95) for the secondary SSD slot in the new laptop I just ordered.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 08 July 2023 - 05:25 PM

#29892 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 08 July 2023 - 06:13 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 08 July 2023 - 05:25 PM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 08 July 2023 - 05:02 PM, said:

Best to have at least 2 or 3 backups if possible. Especially with HDD, since they're prone to fail even if no external physical damage occurs.

HDD space has gotten much less expensive---I got a 14 TB for $220.

While SSD are much less likely to fail they're of course more expensive, though the cost there has also gone down dramatically. I think I'll get a 2 TB for $100 (technically for $99*1.08*.95) for the secondary SSD slot in the new laptop I just ordered.

I literally started shopping around for one last week, was waiting for my next paycheck before ordering something.

There's a weird price jump from 8 to 10 TB which I don't get.

#29893 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 July 2023 - 03:49 AM

Baby spiders.

BABY SPIDERS
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#29894 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 July 2023 - 04:02 AM

So cute!

#29895 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 July 2023 - 12:46 PM

Our trip to the States was marred by a mass shooting not far from where we stayed, complete and total asshole drivers going WELL above a buck forty (KM) on any given interstate and nearly clipping us, and the sheer and total insanity of MAGA rural Pennsylvania clowns with flags and nonsense hats (this is something as a Canadian I've only ever seen on TV) acting like pricks to anyone who isn't.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29896 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 July 2023 - 01:01 PM

You're welcome back any time!

#29897 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 July 2023 - 01:37 PM

View Postworry, on 10 July 2023 - 01:01 PM, said:

You're welcome back any time!

Thankfully we had a good time when we weren't dealing with shit, and our friends have a nice place.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29898 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 13 July 2023 - 01:05 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 July 2023 - 12:46 PM, said:

Our trip to the States was marred by a mass shooting not far from where we stayed, complete and total asshole drivers going WELL above a buck forty (KM) on any given interstate and nearly clipping us, and the sheer and total insanity of MAGA rural Pennsylvania clowns with flags and nonsense hats (this is something as a Canadian I've only ever seen on TV) acting like pricks to anyone who isn't.

You came to pensylvania and didnt visit me? This is messing with my groove man!

#29899 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 13 July 2023 - 02:38 AM

My favourite belt snapped at the buckle.

End on an era.

#29900 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 13 July 2023 - 07:06 AM

I think I just killed a cockroach in my apartment. On the 19th floor! I didn’t know how to kill it and was hard to catch. Turns out that soapy water is the recomended method. It worked like a charm, I have dawn platinum dish soap that comes out as a spray foam. Killed it dead in ten seconds. Good trick.

It was a big insect with wings, I didn’t know cockroaches could fly but google says they can. Anyway I think that’s what it was. I immediately thought out anyone food because tainted or not I had to. I cleaned the sink and my dishes. Just in case. However in truth I don’t think I have a messy apartment. No idea where this thing came from but it’s framed me out.

Last week the windows of my apartment were replaced and so my apartment was exposed to the outside but it was temporary and during the day only.

I hate bugs! I fired of an email to the super to ask if there are any preventive measures we can take. I hope it’s a once off.

Share this topic:

• 1521 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users