• You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#29461 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 22 February 2023 - 04:25 PM

Grandma passed away. My mom's getting ready to fly and then bus into a not-quite-active warzone for the funeral.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#29462 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 February 2023 - 09:54 PM

Sorry to hear that, Ment. Wishing your mom very safe travels, and condolences to you and your family.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#29463 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 February 2023 - 01:17 AM

Oh man, I’m sorry to hear that Ment. Always hard to lose a family
Member. Condolences and hope your mom gets there and back safely.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29464 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 February 2023 - 03:12 AM

View PostMentalist, on 22 February 2023 - 04:25 PM, said:

Grandma passed away. My mom's getting ready to fly and then bus into a not-quite-active warzone for the funeral.

I wish a smooth trip for your family. I'm sorry for your loss.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#29465 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 23 February 2023 - 08:38 AM

View PostMentalist, on 22 February 2023 - 04:25 PM, said:

Ah man my condolences. Here's hoping your mum's journey is uneventful.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#29466 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 23 February 2023 - 09:16 AM

Sorry to hear that, condolences to you and your family. Fingers crossed your mum has a smooth journey.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#29467 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 February 2023 - 09:59 AM

Policeman shot in front of his son at a football game last night. He's critical but stable apparently at the moment. The question on everyone's mind today is was it drug related (hopefully, he is a detective supposedly involved in a big case at the moment) or is it the new IRA back at their shit again the shower of absolute bastards

#29468 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 February 2023 - 01:24 PM

'Wash Your Hands and Pray You Don't Get Sick

[...] In recent weeks, norovirus has seeded outbreaks in several countries, including the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States. Last week, the U.K. Health Security Agency announced that laboratory reports of the virus had risen to levels 66 percent higher than what's typical this time of year. Especially hard-hit are Brits 65 and older, who are falling ill at rates that "haven't been seen in over a decade."

Americans could be heading into a rough stretch themselves, [...] given how closely the U.S.'s epidemiological patterns tend to follow those of the U.K. "It does seem like there's a burst of activity right now," [...] (Other pathogens can cause gastrointestinal symptoms as well, but norovirus is the most common cause of foodborne illness in the United States.)

[...] keys are to stay hydrated and avoid spreading it to anyone vulnerable—little kids, older adults, the immunocompromised. [...]
Even the old COVID standby, a spritz of hand sanitizer, doesn't work against it—the virus is encased in a tough protein shell that makes it insensitive to alcohol. Some have estimated that ingesting as few as 18 infectious units of virus can be enough to sicken someone, "and normally, what's getting shed is in the billions," [...] a single gram of feces—roughly the heft of a jelly bean—could contain as many as 5.5 billion infectious doses, enough to send the entire population of Eurasia sprinting for the toilet.'

Norovirus is almost impossible to stop - The Atlantic

About to take a train to visit my elderly relatives... it's going to be unseasonably warm (in the 70's) for one brief day, but I think I'll wear (medical) gloves anyway. Bring a few pairs in ziplock bags. Also, my face is lava again... especially my lips and nostrils. (Tongue is a supernova....)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 23 February 2023 - 01:25 PM

#29469 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 23 February 2023 - 02:18 PM

Sorry for your loss Ment, and hopes for safe travels for your Mom.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#29470 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 24 February 2023 - 02:26 PM

View PostGothos, on 21 February 2023 - 11:40 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 18 February 2023 - 12:21 AM, said:

Lost my job Monday. Don’t know what to make off it. I was objectively one of the best performing members of the sales team.

No warning, no performance improvement plan (I wasn’t underperforming though). A new interim ceo and a manager with whom I sometimes clashed (she threatened my job once if I wouldn’t buy a car) seems to have sealed the deal. When I got to the USA I found it frightening that you could be fired at will. Than I realized that as long as you were reforming the cost to replace you would outweigh the cost to to fire you. False security I see now.

I wasn’t especially close to my work colleagues, being fully remote but now that I have lost my job, I am unemployed, living in a city without a support network, without friends and without even the occasional social interaction with colleagues. I was feeling pretty strong, I made good money last year between my base pay and commission and was thinking maybe in another year or two I’d be in a good position regarding a potential house.

Now I realise how fragile it all was. gonna have to dip into savings to pay for rent and cobra healthcare while I look for work. Last time I looked was start of covid when I had just moved to the USA and it took a long time. Here is hoping it will be easier this time. I need to see if as a green card holder I can apply for unemployment. In theory yes I can, in practice it may hurt my application for citizenship if I take ‘advantage’ of government funds.

Harsh. I've spent a considerable amount of time "between jobs", but it's almost always been my choice. Best of luck, and I hope you're better with interviews than I am :)

Got to ask, though. How does remote work... work... with a sales job? Is it at all feasible to move out of the city to cut costs? Or is it a remote-to-the-company-but-boots-on-the-ground-in-NYC kind of situation?

It can be either situation. My first job in the USA in the heart of covid was working for a california Tech company and covering the east coast fully remotely. Never met a soul in person for a year and a half basically.

My second role was remote to the company as well and I never had to go to the offfice for work reasons ever, however the point of the job was to eventually get face to face with the potential customers in my nearby regions.

#29471 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 February 2023 - 02:44 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 23 February 2023 - 01:24 PM, said:

'Wash Your Hands and Pray You Don't Get Sick

[...] In recent weeks, norovirus has seeded outbreaks in several countries, including the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States. Last week, the U.K. Health Security Agency announced that laboratory reports of the virus had risen to levels 66 percent higher than what's typical this time of year. Especially hard-hit are Brits 65 and older, who are falling ill at rates that "haven't been seen in over a decade."

Americans could be heading into a rough stretch themselves, [...] given how closely the U.S.'s epidemiological patterns tend to follow those of the U.K. "It does seem like there's a burst of activity right now," [...] (Other pathogens can cause gastrointestinal symptoms as well, but norovirus is the most common cause of foodborne illness in the United States.)

[...] keys are to stay hydrated and avoid spreading it to anyone vulnerable—little kids, older adults, the immunocompromised. [...]
Even the old COVID standby, a spritz of hand sanitizer, doesn't work against it—the virus is encased in a tough protein shell that makes it insensitive to alcohol. Some have estimated that ingesting as few as 18 infectious units of virus can be enough to sicken someone, "and normally, what's getting shed is in the billions," [...] a single gram of feces—roughly the heft of a jelly bean—could contain as many as 5.5 billion infectious doses, enough to send the entire population of Eurasia sprinting for the toilet.'

Norovirus is almost impossible to stop - The Atlantic

About to take a train to visit my elderly relatives... it's going to be unseasonably warm (in the 70's) for one brief day, but I think I'll wear (medical) gloves anyway. Bring a few pairs in ziplock bags. Also, my face is lava again... especially my lips and nostrils. (Tongue is a supernova....)

Decided washing my hands thoroughly should be sufficient, so didn't wear gloves (disposable gloves being bad for the environment, etc.). When the conductor scanned my card, she moved the scanner forwards and down to touch my fingers... I might as well have touched the fingers of everyone else on every train that day she did that to.

Weather forecast turned out to be wrong---and it was still too cold outside for some of my elderly relatives.

Stool was watery this morning....

#29472 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 February 2023 - 07:50 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 24 February 2023 - 02:44 PM, said:

Stool was watery this morning....

Maybe you need to slow down on drinking all that blackcurrant juice?

Had to check this wasn't the poop thread. :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#29473 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 26 February 2023 - 08:31 AM

My little boy has a new best friend who is really into brands. Why does a 6 year old need to know about this shit? I thought I had another 5 years at least before this kind of thing.

It is also roughly his 10th best friend so far in his life. I have a string of mothers who I have to ghost on WhatsApp because their kid says my kid is their best friend and won't accept that he has moved on or does not reciprocate. It can get really awkward at the school gates.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 26 February 2023 - 08:34 AM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#29474 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 27 February 2023 - 08:28 AM

For some reason wife's agency didn't book her for today, she's got a call scheduled later to find out way.

Also I tried to drink Da Bomb hot sauce raw last night and all I feel now is regret.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#29475 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 February 2023 - 08:36 AM

Da Bomb is notoriously the grossest one on Hot Ones.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#29476 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 27 February 2023 - 08:38 AM

View Postworry, on 27 February 2023 - 08:36 AM, said:

Da Bomb is notoriously the grossest one on Hot Ones.

It tasted like being punched in the throat repeatedly.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#29477 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 February 2023 - 04:03 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 27 February 2023 - 08:28 AM, said:

Also I tried to drink Da Bomb hot sauce raw last night ...

Why?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#29478 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 27 February 2023 - 05:10 PM

On a more light hearted messing with my groove level: I am starting to get the peppery beard! I am actually quite lucky, I don't have a receding hairline or a bald spot at all. My hair remains very thick. However the signs of aging have begun to appear, very local around my chin area one grey hair has become a dozen. Ill pull it off, ill just look more distinguished

#29479 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 27 February 2023 - 06:10 PM

In general, I am against pulling hair off unless it's in the nose or ear regions. The hair comes in handy sometimes.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#29480 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 February 2023 - 06:39 PM

View PostCause, on 27 February 2023 - 05:10 PM, said:

On a more light hearted messing with my groove level: I am starting to get the peppery beard! I am actually quite lucky, I don't have a receding hairline or a bald spot at all. My hair remains very thick. However the signs of aging have begun to appear, very local around my chin area one grey hair has become a dozen. Ill pull it off, ill just look more distinguished

I've made the transition from James Gunn circa 2014 to James Gunn Circa 2022/23 beard and whiter hair and all...LOL

Attached File  JG1.jpg (26.95K)
Number of downloads: 0Attached File  JG2.jpg (52.15K)
Number of downloads: 0

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 27 February 2023 - 06:39 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users