• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2020 Malazan Re-read: Bonehunters Starts Monday, June 1st

#41 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 June 2020 - 04:21 AM

No, it's described as having a short tail. I don't think Erikson was obfuscating on that part.

The Lizard Assassin from DOD/TCG is even bigger than this I think, definitely taller. KCCM are scary.

#42 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 June 2020 - 05:52 AM

P. 203

A lunge forward, surprisingly swift, and she gripped his wrist, drew his arm forward, settled his hand on her belly. He met her eyes, and was shaken to his very core. This was no mindless creature. Eres’al. The yearning in those dark, stunningly beautiful eyes made him mentally reel. ‘All right,’ he whispered, and slowly sent his senses questing, into that womb, into the spirit growing within it. For every abomination, there must emerge its answer. Its enemy, its counterbalance. Here, within this Eres’al, is such an answer. To a distant abomination, the corruption of a once-innocent spirit. Innocence must be reborn. Yet … I can see so little … not human, not even of this world, barring what the Eres’al herself brought to the union. Thus, an intruder. From another realm, a realm bereft of innocence. To make them part of this world, one of their kind must be born … in this way. Their blood must be drawn into this world’s flow of blood. But why an Eres’al? Because … gods below … because she is the last innocent creature, the last innocent ancestor of our line. After her … the degradation of spirit begins. The shifting of perspective, the separation from all else, the carving of borders – in the ground, in the mind’s way of seeing. After her, there’s only … us. The realization – the recognition – was devastating. Bottle pulled his hand away. But it was too late. He knew too many things, now. The father … Tiste Edur. The child to come … the only pure candidate for a new Throne of Shadow – a throne commanding a healed realm. And it would have so many enemies. So many … ‘

I'd forgotten about this. So Trull's child is meant to sit the Shadow Throne. Wonder if Erikson and Esslemont will ever delve into the the future of the universe.

#43 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 June 2020 - 01:36 PM

P. 215

The infamous first mention of Grizzin Farl, the Elder God of burnt toast.

Cotillion walked over to the nearest wall. ‘Curious,’ he said. ‘This is a temple to an Elder God. Not sure which one. Kilmandaros, maybe. Or Grizzin Farl. Maybe even K’rul.’ ‘A rather bloody kind of worship,’ Kalam muttered. ‘The best kind,’ Quick Ben said, brushing dust from his clothes. Kalam noted Cotillion’s sly regard of the wizard and wondered at it. Ben Adaephon Delat, Cotillion knows something about you, doesn’t he? Wizard, you’ve got too many secrets by far.

The Bonehunters: 6 (The Malazan Book Of The Fallen) (p. 215). Transworld. Kindle Edition.

Regarding Dejim nebrahl I've noticed that his segments are meant to create a feeling of creeping dread as there are various groups travelling 7C and the reader is left to wonder, which group is going to be attacked by this nightmare released from its ancient prison. Karsa just sensed it and DJ fled. Which is fun. I feel like if Erikson wanted these segments to work better he should have fed a semi noteworthy and strong character to the demon early on to establish what DJ can do.

#44 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 09 June 2020 - 02:21 PM

Where I'm at it's already been eating as many herders, livestock and travellers as it can fit in. If I remember though he has quite a big build up, with dreams of domination a bit like B'nagga in MTs, only to get taken out by Hounds.

(Btw that piss-stream in MTs when Iron Bars casually dispatched B'nagga was so goddamn funny)

Preparing for siege. Introduction of Dunsparrow, and Corabbs growing doubt..

This post has been edited by Traveller: 09 June 2020 - 02:21 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#45 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 June 2020 - 02:38 PM

Everything with Corabb us great. He's my favourite character in the book so far.

#46 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 09 June 2020 - 03:07 PM

Same. I really like his propensity eat disgusting things, and to get hallucinations in various different ways.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#47 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 June 2020 - 04:57 PM

On p. 223. Pearl states that Tavore doesn't want him to infiltrate Yghatan and make assassinations. Earlier we also hear that Laseen has pulled all available Claw back to Unta or Malaz City. And Tavore sent Quick Ben and Kalam away.

What the fuck is going on? This is a repeat of Aren. I get that there's the logistics of war and Erikson of course has to create a obstacles and tension for story purposes, but come on?!

#48 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 June 2020 - 07:43 PM

I'm confused by L'orics role in all this.

In House of Chains he was only there, I assume, because the fate of the Shadow Warrens were hanging in the balance. Why does he return? He clearly had no love for The Army of the Apocalypse, nor was he close with Leoman. Is he merely there as a favor for the Queen of Dreams?

Moreover it's not much of a secret escape for Leoman if every mage and deck dealer suddenly know you're in cahoots with the QoD.

#49 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 June 2020 - 03:59 AM

View PostAptorian, on 09 June 2020 - 04:21 AM, said:

No, it's described as having a short tail. I don't think Erikson was obfuscating on that part.

The Lizard Assassin from DOD/TCG is even bigger than this I think, definitely taller. KCCM are scary.

I can't find the ref, but vaguely recall either the Jan Sentinel or Shigal Assassin described with a short tail. Maybe Vegath but I dont think so.

And the thing Karsa fights is waaaaay bigger than any Nahruk the Bonehunters fought.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#50 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 10 June 2020 - 04:03 AM

View PostAptorian, on 09 June 2020 - 02:38 PM, said:

Everything with Corabb us great. He's my favourite character in the book so far.

View PostTraveller, on 09 June 2020 - 03:07 PM, said:

Same. I really like his propensity eat disgusting things, and to get hallucinations in various different ways.

Agreed. All things Corabb are either funny or deep. Was so glad to see him picked up by Fid's squad.

View PostAptorian, on 09 June 2020 - 04:57 PM, said:

On p. 223. Pearl states that Tavore doesn't want him to infiltrate Yghatan and make assassinations. Earlier we also hear that Laseen has pulled all available Claw back to Unta or Malaz City. And Tavore sent Quick Ben and Kalam away.

What the fuck is going on? This is a repeat of Aren. I get that there's the logistics of war and Erikson of course has to create a obstacles and tension for story purposes, but come on?!

Tavore does not trust Pearl. This is stated a few times iirc.

View PostAptorian, on 09 June 2020 - 07:43 PM, said:

I'm confused by L'orics role in all this.

In House of Chains he was only there, I assume, because the fate of the Shadow Warrens were hanging in the balance. Why does he return? He clearly had no love for The Army of the Apocalypse, nor was he close with Leoman. Is he merely there as a favor for the Queen

Residual loyalty to their time w the Whirlwind was my take.

#51 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:38 AM

View PostAbyss, on 10 June 2020 - 03:59 AM, said:

I can't find the ref, but vaguely recall either the Jan Sentinel or Shigal Assassin described with a short tail. Maybe Vegath but I dont think so.

And the thing Karsa fights is waaaaay bigger than any Nahruk the Bonehunters fought.

You could be right, your recollection of KCCM names is better than mine. Just seems a strange contradiction to have the Nahruk specifically described as short-tails and then present a regular KCCM with a short-tail.

#52 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:41 AM

View PostAbyss, on 10 June 2020 - 04:03 AM, said:

Sure but aren't the Claws mostly an independent office. Just go in and kill the officers for the sake of the Empire's forces. Hell, what does Tavore think Pearl would do? Not stab people?

#53 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:44 AM

Just finished the crawl out of Yghatan. A hell of a passage. Feel relieved that's over and Fiddler and Corabb become buddies.

Love this exchange:

P. 301

‘Sergeant, are you named Strings or Fiddler?’ ‘Strings for when I’m lying, Fiddler for when I’m telling the truth.’ ‘Ah, is that a Malazan trait, then? Strange—’ ‘No, not a trait. Mine, maybe.’ ‘And how should I name you?’ ‘Fiddler.’ ‘Very well.’ A welcome gift. ‘Fiddler. I was thinking. Here I am, trapped. And yet, it is only now, I think, that I have finally escaped my prison. Funny, isn’t it?’ ‘Damned hilarious, Corabb Bhilan Thenu’alas.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 10 June 2020 - 05:55 AM

#54 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 10 June 2020 - 10:15 AM

I really like that scene where they find Corabb in the temple with the children, and his very natural assimilation into their ranks through the underground ordeal.

Yet another military fuck up really though - from the initial explosion to pearl, QB and Kalam being sidelined. They could have killed Leoman without any losses.

#55 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 10 June 2020 - 04:12 PM

This Paran side quest is interesting, but seems like a long winded solution to destroy DN.

..He's used dead Hedge to find a way to an underworld, to release the Deragoth; which we then find is the same as the world Rhulad flooded in MTs. So it isn't really an underworld, it's just another world/warren? Rhulad sort of horrified even himself when he admitted to flooding an entire world; and I think that was only to give the Edur ships something to travel on, wasn't it? Either way, the Deragoth seem to appear in two realms, one in the past where they run with and are worshipped by the Eres (Lorics trip) and in this one where they still live in the statues. But were also claimed by Dessimbelakis as his soletaken form, gave rise to the '7 cities', even though they were older than the First Empire. Is that kind of right?

I'm not enjoying the Scillara/Heboric ramblings tbh.

Edit.. oh that's no longer a problem now.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 10 June 2020 - 04:19 PM

#56 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:00 PM

There's several reasons for the flooding of the Nascent world. There was a different shadow civilization that The Warlock King or Rhulad wanted to destroy for not being shadow enough or something, but they also wanted to redirect a river to change the course of the war between the Kenrylalala people and some other faction.

#57 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:24 PM

It was a two birds one stone job, redirecting the river for the demons

#58 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 11 June 2020 - 01:49 AM

View PostAptorian, on 10 June 2020 - 05:38 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 10 June 2020 - 03:59 AM, said:

You could be right, your recollection of KCCM names is better than mine. Just seems a strange contradiction to have the Nahruk specifically described as short-tails and then present a regular KCCM with a short-tail.

The Nahruk were genetically bred to resemble an older strain of Kchain. Those elements had to come from somewhere.

#59 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 11 June 2020 - 01:50 AM

View PostAptorian, on 10 June 2020 - 05:41 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 10 June 2020 - 04:03 AM, said:

Sure but aren't the Claws mostly an independent office. Just go in and kill the officers for the sake of the Empire's forces. Hell, what does Tavore think Pearl would do? Not stab people?

More or less that. How could she believe he did anything she sent him in to do, and how would it look if she proclaimed Leoman dead and the guy showed up again later.

#60 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 June 2020 - 05:42 PM

P. 368

Always loved this exchange.

‘No self-respecting creature does what you did this morning, Iskaral Pust. You won’t get no spiders picking their noses, will you? Ha, you know I’m right.’ ‘No I don’t. I was just picturing a spider with eight legs up its nose, and that reminded me of you. You need a haircut, Mogora, and I’m just the man to do it.’ ‘Come near me with intentions other than amorous and I’ll stick you.’ ‘Amorous. What a horrible thought—’ ‘What if I told you I was pregnant?’ ‘I’d kill the mule.’ She leapt at him. Squealing, then spitting and scratching, they rolled in the dust. The mule watched them with placid eyes.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users