• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Winter Olympics 2018

#41 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:04 AM

Dropping a stick on the ice and leaving it is not that uncommon. You don't want to drop a stick, but if you do you definitely don't want to waste time going to pick it up and leaving the person or space you're covering open while you do so. Better to just block space with your body until the next whistle.

Fifthing that curling is awesome. Though Abyss must be pretty disappointed in his home girl Homan's 0-3 streak (plus that unspirited burn removal).

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#42 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:41 PM

View PostD, on 17 February 2018 - 05:04 AM, said:

Dropping a stick on the ice and leaving it is not that uncommon. You don't want to drop a stick, but if you do you definitely don't want to waste time going to pick it up and leaving the person or space you're covering open while you do so. Better to just block space with your body until the next whistle.

Fifthing that curling is awesome. Though Abyss must be pretty disappointed in his home girl Homan's 0-3 streak (plus that unspirited burn removal).

Curling became way less interesting when they took the random time bombs off the sliding rock puck thingies.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#43 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:34 PM

"Crazy Game of Poker" is HUGE in Russia.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#44 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:13 AM

View PostThe Swampfather, on 17 February 2018 - 08:35 PM, said:

I guess I missed the explanation of why USSR is now OAR?

Isn’t that the post doping wink wink nudge nudge Russia is banned but the Russian athletes are totally fine thing?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#45 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:24 AM

Canadian third on the curling team, Emma Miskew is yum. I may have a crush.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#46 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 February 2018 - 04:21 AM

Lol!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#47 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:35 AM

Kissed by Fire, eh.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#48 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:38 AM

View PostAbyss, on 18 February 2018 - 03:13 AM, said:

View PostThe Swampfather, on 17 February 2018 - 08:35 PM, said:

I guess I missed the explanation of why USSR is now OAR?

Isn’t that the post doping wink wink nudge nudge Russia is banned but the Russian athletes are totally fine thing?

Russia state sponsored a doping program so they were banned but I think they kind of thought that it wouldn't be fair to been every single individual athlete so they can compete but Russia can't get the glory. So no Russian flags etc but the athletes themselves can still be part of it.

Trump must be furious. :killingme:
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#49 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:47 AM

Sweet! I thought maybe I missed it, but searched and found that the Speed Skating - Mass Start doesn't begin competition until this Saturday. I guess this hasn't been an event since the 1930s or 1940s or something. My brother told me to look for it because he says it is a lot of fun. Like NASCAR on ice, but with strategy and bodies crashing into each other and sprinters trying to entice the pack to break out and other madness. Can't wait!

#50 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:01 AM

I can't watch Hockey on T.V., even Olympic level. It's live or not. Subsequently, I feel the same about Soccer.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#51 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 February 2018 - 02:15 PM

Tessa & Scott won gold for Canada! Man, they are always so good. I'm n to as into Figure Skating as my wife is, but damned if those two don't make it look effortless. (And I feel quite badly for the French team after their wardrobe malfunction the other night...Gabriella must be mortified, and no doubt that messed with their routine.)

Also, Canada women's curling team took down the Japanese. Clawing their way up the rungs to hopefully a medal run!

#52 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 20 February 2018 - 02:18 PM

I am both shocked and pleased that Ukraine's tiny Olympic team managed to snag a gold and OAR still didn't
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#53 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:22 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 February 2018 - 02:15 PM, said:

Tessa & Scott won gold for Canada! Man, they are always so good. I'm n to as into Figure Skating as my wife is, but damned if those two don't make it look effortless. (And I feel quite badly for the French team after their wardrobe malfunction the other night...Gabriella must be mortified, and no doubt that messed with their routine.)

Also, Canada women's curling team took down the Japanese. Clawing their way up the rungs to hopefully a medal run!

And then they lost to China, and now have to beat a medal favourite (Muirhead) coached by a Canadian Curling legend just to keep their hopes alive.

And Koe at 3-3. Thank goodness for mixed doubles, because this has been a puzzling olympics for Canadian curling. I have seen Homan make more blatant misses in this round robin than she has made in past curling SEASONS.

Its fairly clear the ice is pretty bad, but everyone has to curl on it. It feels like the canadian teams have not adjusted, and keep digging themselves holes requiring big shots in spots where they don't have the confidence in the ice or themselves to make them.

I stopped watching Homan-China after the steal of 2.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#54 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:25 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 February 2018 - 03:24 AM, said:

Canadian third on the curling team, Emma Miskew is yum. I may have a crush.

The whole Canadian team have been varying degrees of yum. Maybe not Courtney anymore , but a few years ago ...

But also have a special appreciation for OAR's mixed doubles girl. She needs to dump her doping dope and get herself a nice canadian boy.

I wonder if Muirhead still has the same third. If so, I think you'll appreciate her, too.

This post has been edited by Nevyn: 20 February 2018 - 06:25 PM

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#55 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:43 PM

View PostThe Swampfather, on 20 February 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

Lane A is the bad one from what I have taken in.

I would say they are all bad, but that is the most notorious. Also, they are referred to as "sheets".

The problem with ice when it comes to curling is that it is not just the ice. It can be the levelness of the ice, the quality of the pebbling, air circulation and temperature in the building, and also the specific stones (which until the playoffs stay on a particular sheet). And they have reworked the stones once in the middle of this round robin, which could have fixed some but created issues with others, and meant that everyone had to learn it all again.

And again, those problems don't favour any particular team, they just introduce a random element. And in Koe's case in particular, they've had some games where they were overly aggressive resulting in some huge make or break shots, which is not a great idea when you aren't sure of the conditions. Homan has had a little of that, but her losses to Sweden and especially Denmark were just a complete meltdown of confidence. She was starting to get it back, and then blew the China game. Which now puts her into a spot where she has to beat a great team just to stay in the running. She could actually curl great against Muirhead and still lose.

This post has been edited by Nevyn: 20 February 2018 - 06:44 PM

#56 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:49 PM

View PostNevyn, on 20 February 2018 - 06:22 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 February 2018 - 02:15 PM, said:

And then they lost to China, and now have to beat a medal favourite (Muirhead) coached by a Canadian Curling legend just to keep their hopes alive.

And Koe at 3-3. Thank goodness for mixed doubles, because this has been a puzzling olympics for Canadian curling. I have seen Homan make more blatant misses in this round robin than she has made in past curling SEASONS.

Its fairly clear the ice is pretty bad, but everyone has to curl on it. It feels like the canadian teams have not adjusted, and keep digging themselves holes requiring big shots in spots where they don't have the confidence in the ice or themselves to make them.

I stopped watching Homan-China after the steal of 2.

Awww man, I had it PVR'ed, I hadn't watched it yet (the china match)...spoilers!

#57 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:53 PM

View PostNevyn, on 20 February 2018 - 06:43 PM, said:

And again, those problems don't favour any particular team, they just introduce a random element. And in Koe's case in particular, they've had some games where they were overly aggressive resulting in some huge make or break shots, which is not a great idea when you aren't sure of the conditions. Homan has had a little of that, but her losses to Sweden and especially Denmark were just a complete meltdown of confidence. She was starting to get it back, and then blew the China game. Which now puts her into a spot where she has to beat a great team just to stay in the running. She could actually curl great against Muirhead and still lose.

I find that Homan sometimes (not all the time mind you) plays BEST when under crazy pressure. That's when she makes those hail mary shots that are high difficulty with great reward, like the one that basically put away the Japan game. But yeah, she's blown some opportunities so far.

I find it amusing that her husband always just does one of two things when they show him in the crowd....he's either pacing or drinking. LOL

#58 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:55 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 February 2018 - 06:49 PM, said:

Awww man, I had it PVR'ed, I hadn't watched it yet (the china match)...spoilers!

Whoops. I'll watch out for that in future.

I made the mistake last week of staying up for a couple of the midnight EST draws (which have also been among the most depressing results).

I generally rewatch anyway, but stream, don't PVR, and haven't been worrying about avoiding spoilers. But with both teams on the verge of elimination I should probably start.

This post has been edited by Nevyn: 20 February 2018 - 06:57 PM

#59 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:56 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 February 2018 - 06:53 PM, said:

I find that Homan sometimes (not all the time mind you) plays BEST when under crazy pressure. That's when she makes those hail mary shots that are high difficulty with great reward, like the one that basically put away the Japan game. But yeah, she's blown some opportunities so far.

I find it amusing that her husband always just does one of two things when they show him in the crowd....he's either pacing or drinking. LOL

People just think it is pacing. He's just going to fetch his refill

#60 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:25 PM

View PostNevyn, on 20 February 2018 - 06:56 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 February 2018 - 06:53 PM, said:

People just think it is pacing. He's just going to fetch his refill

HA! Entirely possible. I wonder if beer prices are cheap on the Olympic compound...I can't imagine they are.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users