Malazan Empire: The Canada Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 47 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Canada Politics Thread American politics' smaller less interesting cousin!

#841 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 November 2022 - 08:33 PM

And there it is. Doug Ford backed all the way down.

We had multiple MASSIVE unions threatening a General Strike for Monday….and Ford and Lecce blinked.

You love to see the power of united people bring the govt back to reality.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#842 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 February 2023 - 09:43 PM

Another Tory with a sex scandal!

Oh, wait ... :huh:

https://www.news.com...c57b32c85d8523c

Canadian mayor John Tory resigns one hour after relationship with staffer revealed
A Canadian mayor abruptly resigned just one hour after his affair with a staffer half his age was exposed by a local paper.

Looks like "half his age" was being generous or just crappy maths (he's 68). She's 31 apparently.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#843 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 15 February 2023 - 04:51 AM

Sayyy is anyone getting deja vu from the patrick brown incident?

#844 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 February 2023 - 06:48 AM

Once again, our conservative society gets in the way of true love *smh*

#845 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 February 2023 - 01:19 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 15 February 2023 - 04:51 AM, said:

Sayyy is anyone getting deja vu from the patrick brown incident?

Nah, Patrick Brown is just a well known slime bucket, and made enemies in the Conservative party ranks, so they got their knives out for him....luckily for him he tumbled upwards into the mayor role in Brampton.

Tory is a deeper well. No one who is in charge of the biggest hub city in Canada is resigning over a simple affair that is already over...this goes deeper, and I have a friend whose mom knows the other woman in question and said that she's into some KINKY lifestyle things, and perhaps Tory is also into said kinky lifestyle stuff. It's rumoured that his wife basically said "Quit, or what I know is coming out, and you don't want that." So I think a simple "I had an affair, and am going to quit and focus on fixing my family" is cover for deeper more kinky things.

View PostAptorian, on 15 February 2023 - 06:48 AM, said:

Once again, our conservative society gets in the way of true love *smh*

Honestly, I think you're right...if what I noted above is at all true, I think the real worry is that his kinks would come out and that the Conservatives, Ford included would be forced to distance themselves from him and his Roger's Board membership (future) would be on the line....he's 68, I imagine that he's planning his retirement, and if he can manage to do that on a board like Rogers, he's set for a cushy elder years....he doesn't want to jeopardize that. JUST an affair with a younger woman won't shake the Conservative tree at all (in fact I think it's a requirement for membership; See Doug Ford & Kinga Surma), but kinky stuff and alternative lifestyles are a very prevalent and current Conservative dog whistle.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 15 February 2023 - 01:21 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#846 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 February 2023 - 02:11 PM

I'm hearing whispers that Mike Layton might run? If that's the case, then that is probably our best progressive candidate that we've had in this city since....jeezus I can't recall...Layton could unify the city behind him unlike people like Penalosa and Brown (both of whom I like, but have literally zero presence in the broader eyes of the city)...

I admit that this is 100% on the laurels of his beloved and deceased father (a man who I wish had lived to be our PM), but nonetheless if the young man that Jack Layton raised could be mayor, that would please me.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 15 February 2023 - 02:11 PM

#847 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 February 2023 - 05:23 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 February 2023 - 01:19 PM, said:

Tory is a deeper well. No one who is in charge of the biggest hub city in Canada is resigning over a simple affair that is already over...this goes deeper, and I have a friend whose mom knows the other woman in question and said that she's into some KINKY lifestyle things, and perhaps Tory is also into said kinky lifestyle stuff. It's rumoured that his wife basically said "Quit, or what I know is coming out, and you don't want that." So I think a simple "I had an affair, and am going to quit and focus on fixing my family" is cover for deeper more kinky things.

Why would she insist he quit tho?
Even if she leaves him, he's worth more alimony/support wise as the mayor or former mayor who goes on to whatever than as the mayor who quit in disgrace and no one wants to employ.
Ruining him out of vengeance is poor fiscal planning.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#848 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 February 2023 - 01:39 PM

View PostAbyss, on 16 February 2023 - 05:23 AM, said:

Why would she insist he quit tho?

Upset? My mom vehemently tried to get my dad to stay even after it was clear his heart had moved on...she tried to get him to work on it (and it wasn't till after they fully split that her rage aimed at him came about). In this case it's a 45 year marriage. That's not something that's easily dismissible in favour of alimony and support. She's of an age with him, so nearly 70 years old. The prospect of being alone/single in your elderly years is daunting AF I imagine.

So yeah, it might make more sense to take him for all he's worth...but the factors that weigh against that, keeping the family together and pushing through this, loom large. She's looking at this as the spurned one, and that comes with baggage.

View PostAbyss, on 16 February 2023 - 05:23 AM, said:

Ruining him out of vengeance is poor fiscal planning.

The threat is all she needed. She probably knew that he would do what she asked for. I doubt she wanted or even thought she'd have to out whatever else he's clearly hiding...the threat was enough.

#849 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 March 2023 - 06:22 PM

Canada-centric advice from my recent airport visit after returning from Vacay. The ArriveCAN app has been modified to be the app to help facilitate customs (it was our Vaccine proof app; but there's no longer a need for that so they're trying to pivot to using it for something else to explain the expense), and we were advised by Flight Attendants AND the pilot during the last 3rd of our journey that we could use the app to fill out the relevant info to skip the line inside. We filled it out while waiting to de-plane and when we arrived inside it was the same hundreds of people in many lines dumpster fire it always is...and the line for those that HAD filled out the app....get this....STILL led to the machines in all the other lines that ask you the same questions and take your photo and print out a slip to give to the customs agent at the end of the queue....because when we tried to show her the app filled out...she said we still have to use the machine. So yeah, the ArriveCAN app is fairly useless now and the attempts to use it to be a "fastpass" version of the declaration system have clearly not worked. Just go to the machines and don't bother with the app.

--------

On the politics topic...

Federal Liberal MP Han Dong AND Provincial Conservative MPP Vincent Ke BOTH interacting with senior CCP officials with info or suggestions is treasonous AT THE VERY LEAST and should show that active interference in our democracy has no Party-stripe and both should be investigated hardcore. I want an investigator to crawl up BOTH their asses and dig through their shit with a fine tooth comb. And quite frankly if Justin Trudeau and Doug Ford respectively had knowledge of these transgressions prior to it coming out then they should both be investigated too.

I'm so tired of simply wanting elected officials to just have our best interests at heart and not think about what hurts or helps them retain power as their deciding factor on what to push out there or not. IT's so exhausting.

On the bright side, Josh Matlow (a Toronto city councillor with a pretty good progressive track record, while also occasionally leaning centre enough to get him more votes than some of the pie in the sky full-progressive candidates who don't have a chance in a megacity Toronto that includes all those suburbans) has decided to officially run for mayor (and due to a bylaw he doesn't have to relinquish his council seat while he runs)...and quite frankly unless someone better comes along, then he's got my vote. The fact that he could likely get the progressive downtowners (like myself), and perhaps a big chunk of the suburban vote already pushes him up the chain more than someone like Gil Penalosa, or Chloe Brown...who are both further left, but scare off a LOT of voters who are used to voting for a starched board of directors suit like Tory was...and for what it's worth he's running on a new tax for single homeowners....which will annoy NIMBYs, but is VERY needed if we are going to get control of Housing issues in Toronto, let alone transit.

#850 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 27 March 2023 - 01:09 PM

I'm not a fan of the liberals trying to limit the investigation. It makes them look complicit.

If the allegations are true that's treason. Treason carries the penalty of life imprisonment.

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 27 March 2023 - 01:09 PM

#851 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:23 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 27 March 2023 - 01:09 PM, said:

I'm not a fan of the liberals trying to limit the investigation. It makes them look complicit.

If the allegations are true that's treason. Treason carries the penalty of life imprisonment.

I mean 'treasonous' as a sort of catchall term maybe, but the actual High Treason definition in Canada is either A. killing the King or attempting to harm him, or B. helping an enemy in waging war against Canada as a country.

As for Dong and Ke, being in cahoots with the Chinese govt on an information angle is bad, and they should not be in their respective positions as public servants, but we are not actively at war with China (trade or otherwise) and in fact have the Canada-China Foreign Investment Promotion and Protection Agreement (FIPA) with them established by Stephen Harper (signed in Russia when no one was looking too) that's in place for 31 years.

So no, not really treason and not punishment by life imprisonment. The definition of treason in Canada is EXTREMELY narrow, and neither individuals actions would fall anywhere near that definition.

But it cannot be overstated that Canadian politicians have now been implicated by CSIS in both liberal and conservative sides of the bench. This is a national problem.

#852 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:48 PM

Foreign govs, by way of lobbyists, interest groups, formal and informal envoys, industrialists with ties to foreign parent corps, and just flat out friends of VIPS, have been actively influencing elections since there were elections. It's not new, it's not espionage, it's incredibly naive (or clickbaity) to clutch pearls and cry foul as tho this has never happened before. Hell, Canada does it too, we just don't have the level of pull that the US or China or even Russia bring to the party. It's just a reality of being a country that has dealings w other countries.

That angle is being downplayed bcs it makes for boring headlines, doesn't support opposition parties' screeching, and if the Liberals take that angle opposition will screech complacency and conspiracy instead, but let us be clear - this not new.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#853 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 March 2023 - 05:35 PM

So a young man (16) was stabbed to death on the TTC at Keele Station last week as he sat on a bench. The attacker was arrested. this is not new, and we've been having MAJOR trouble with methed-out, mentally unwell people on the transit since COVID and there have been a large number of attacks and incidents...I see them daily, and in many cases I get off the subway and grab the next one if I see someone who unsettles me. Fuck politeness. I definitely don't feel safe like I used to, And I have lived in this city and used this transit for 20 years now.

The guy who did this though? Had a bunch of previous convictions for criminality, attacking people with a box cutter, attacking people with scissors, and it turns out sexual assault AND he had a warrant for his arrest over in NFLD too...

A judge literally let him out like two weeks before the attack. Look, I'm all for mental health, and reform of people in the system.....but if you go past like 5 offences that you get convicted on? That's Jail. For a long ass time. The fact that this guy had that rap sheet and was walking the streets free? If I was the kids mom, I would be SO ANGRY that our justice system is THIS toothless. How are you, the judge, being fucking lenient on a 28 year old man who has literally been a proven dangerous offender for the last DECADE all across the country? Like how do you sleep at night as that judge knowing that your asinine leniency allowed the death of a teenager just trying to get home on a Saturday night?

At a certain point, my compassion for people suffering mental health issues (in a province where our asshole premier starves that wing of the healthcare system as much as education and the rest o the shit he slashes funding to) drops down when they just repeat their offences and can't be helped. This guy committed repeated offences with the span of like a year and no one thought, "Hey maybe this guy should not be on the streets?"

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 30 March 2023 - 05:36 PM

#854 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 March 2023 - 05:55 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 March 2023 - 05:35 PM, said:

So a young man (16) was stabbed to death on the TTC at Keele Station last week as he sat on a bench. The attacker was arrested. this is not new, and we've been having MAJOR trouble with methed-out, mentally unwell people on the transit since COVID and there have been a large number of attacks and incidents...I see them daily, and in many cases I get off the subway and grab the next one if I see someone who unsettles me. Fuck politeness. I definitely don't feel safe like I used to, And I have lived in this city and used this transit for 20 years now.

The guy who did this though? Had a bunch of previous convictions for criminality, attacking people with a box cutter, attacking people with scissors, and it turns out sexual assault AND he had a warrant for his arrest over in NFLD too...

A judge literally let him out like two weeks before the attack. Look, I'm all for mental health, and reform of people in the system.....but if you go past like 5 offences that you get convicted on? That's Jail. For a long ass time. The fact that this guy had that rap sheet and was walking the streets free? If I was the kids mom, I would be SO ANGRY that our justice system is THIS toothless. How are you, the judge, being fucking lenient on a 28 year old man who has literally been a proven dangerous offender for the last DECADE all across the country? Like how do you sleep at night as that judge knowing that your asinine leniency allowed the death of a teenager just trying to get home on a Saturday night?

At a certain point, my compassion for people suffering mental health issues (in a province where our asshole premier starves that wing of the healthcare system as much as education and the rest o the shit he slashes funding to) drops down when they just repeat their offences and can't be helped. This guy committed repeated offences with the span of like a year and no one thought, "Hey maybe this guy should not be on the streets?"

Might want to consider:

Wonder Hoodie has partnered with the veterans of Shadow Works ™️ (SWX) to bring you the world's first stab resistant hoodie - not slash resistant, STAB resistant. Don't be tricked by other claims online using a Dyneema hybrid; the innovative SWX™ stab proof fabric is the only comprehensive fabric in the world to provide unparalleled protection from fire, cut, slash, abrasion, stab, and puncture.

For hand protection, check out our stab/knife proof gloves.

NASA Inspired Technology

Leveraging the experience and knowledge gained from working on the Mars Rover and Deep Space programs

Stab Proof Fabric Hoodie by Wonder Hoodie & SWX

I have their bulletproof hoodie but it's only slash resistant... so here's hoping they only shoot me and slash me. It would be pretty funny if they shot me, slashed me, and then were like 'oh it's one of those bulletproof hoodies---let's try stabbing next!' Though I could try wearing the stab proof hoodie over the bulletproof hoodie... hmm.

#855 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 March 2023 - 06:05 PM

Nah, I just keep my head on a swivel and don't stand near ANYONE on the transit. I don't think splash-proof hoodies are the answer.

Also, $800 for a HOODIE?

LOL

#856 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 March 2023 - 08:43 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 March 2023 - 06:05 PM, said:

Nah, I just keep my head on a swivel and don't stand near ANYONE on the transit. I don't think splash-proof hoodies are the answer.

Exactly, it needs to be stab proof too....

Though as far as NASA technology goes---I'd like to have a bulletproof space-suit that protects against COVID-19, acid, slash, stab, and (at least) rifle rounds... and floods and fires for that matter. Jet pack optional.

Wouldn't you like to carry a sword around to protect yourself? Looks like carrying a sheathed sword can be legal in Canada... so long as you don't plan on using it for self-defense, and have some 'practical purpose' for wearing it---obviously cosplay / impress the universe / worship of the blade are excellent answers.

In Canada, carrying blades in public isn’t illegal as long as their purpose is:

Practical.
Not for self-defence.
Not criminal.

So, if the knives have a practical purpose like hunting or carving wood, their transportation is legal. However, you have to be hunting or have other objects that justify the presence of those blades.

Carry a sword or knife in Canada

[...] sheathed, fixed blades, “one-handed,” and manually-opened knives are generally legal.

[...] there is no limit to the length of the blade. Nevertheless, you need to have evidence that you’re trying to use it for practical purposes and not to commit a crime.

Can you legally carry a sword or knife in Canada? (clearwaylaw.com)

According to some Quora rando,

What self defense weapons are legal in Canada?

[...] You can't carry anything for the purpose of self-defense. You want to carry a cane? You better be able to prove you need it. Want to carry a knife? Better be able to prove you need it for your job. You need a “good reason” to carry anything that is potentially dangerous, and protecting your life and property isn't a “good reason”.

Now if you are a security guard transporting a corporation's money, that is a good reason to carry self-defense tools. Rich people's money is worth protecting. Yours isn't.

Likewise if you are a bodyguard employed by the rich and powerful, that's a good reason too. The ruling class's lives are worth protecting. Yours isn't.

(26) What weapons can I carry in Canada for self-defense? Can I use lethal force? Would this qualify as justifiable cause to carry a firearm? - Quora

... so if you're carrying a parasol, but confess to someone that you carry it for self-defense in addition to sun protection... that could later be used against you in court?

#857 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 30 March 2023 - 08:53 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 30 March 2023 - 05:55 PM, said:

Might want to consider:

Wonder Hoodie has partnered with the veterans of Shadow Works ™️ (SWX) to bring you the world's first stab resistant hoodie - not slash resistant, STAB resistant. Don't be tricked by other claims online using a Dyneema hybrid; the innovative SWX™ stab proof fabric is the only comprehensive fabric in the world to provide unparalleled protection from fire, cut, slash, abrasion, stab, and puncture.

NASA Inspired Technology

Leveraging the experience and knowledge gained from working on the Mars Rover and Deep Space programs

I have their bulletproof hoodie but it's only slash resistant... so here's hoping they only shoot me and slash me. It would be pretty funny if they shot me, slashed me, and then were like 'oh it's one of those bulletproof hoodies---let's try stabbing next!' Though I could try wearing the stab proof hoodie over the bulletproof hoodie... hmm.

Such a typical American response. Instead of tracking the problem let's monetise people's fear 🙄
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#858 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 March 2023 - 08:59 PM

Yeah, like, let's take all the money people might spend on this crazy shit, and use it to fund a program to sort the crazy shits out.

#859 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 March 2023 - 11:06 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 30 March 2023 - 08:53 PM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 30 March 2023 - 05:55 PM, said:

Might want to consider:

NASA Inspired Technology

Such a typical American response. Instead of tracking the problem let's monetise people's fear 🙄

Touché. Although is it not true that:

Stab proof vests are standard issue to police officers in both the United Kingdom [...] They are also commonly worn by paramedics, security staff, traffic wardens, environmental wardens, customs officers, immigration officers, bailiffs, cash in transit officers, door supervisors/bouncers, or anyone who else may be under threat.

Stab vest - Wikipedia

Upgrading the stabproof vest to a stab (and slash) proof hoodie 'inspired by NASA technology'....

Pretty sure that actually wearing bulletproof or stabproof clothing is still very rare in the US; the more typical response is to get a gun... or (for the ultrawealthy) body guards. Think there's still a popular idea that 'masculinity = not wearing protection' or some such nonsense.

Not expecting the police to actually do much to protect you (as opposed to harass, bully, rob, or randomly beat you)---for a US city at least that does seem pretty typical.

#860 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 01 April 2023 - 02:07 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 March 2023 - 02:23 PM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 27 March 2023 - 01:09 PM, said:

I mean 'treasonous' as a sort of catchall term maybe, but the actual High Treason definition in Canada is either A. killing the King or attempting to harm him, or B. helping an enemy in waging war against Canada as a country.

As for Dong and Ke, being in cahoots with the Chinese govt on an information angle is bad, and they should not be in their respective positions as public servants, but we are not actively at war with China (trade or otherwise) and in fact have the Canada-China Foreign Investment Promotion and Protection Agreement (FIPA) with them established by Stephen Harper (signed in Russia when no one was looking too) that's in place for 31 years.

So no, not really treason and not punishment by life imprisonment. The definition of treason in Canada is EXTREMELY narrow, and neither individuals actions would fall anywhere near that definition.

But it cannot be overstated that Canadian politicians have now been implicated by CSIS in both liberal and conservative sides of the bench. This is a national problem.

ok maybe treason is a bit harsh, but conspiring with the Chinese government to keep Canadian citizens imprisoned has to be some sort of crime. If not criminal behavior then i'm sure theres some sort of civil case to be brought against him.

It very much is a national problem. I read in the globe there was an issue in an election in BC and the RCMP isn't investigating as the law for BC election only cares about monetary influence. Seems like the law needs a rewrite... but hey if the evidence is strong enough maybe it warrants going to the supreme court and a new precendent being set.

View PostAbyss, on 27 March 2023 - 02:48 PM, said:

Foreign govs, by way of lobbyists, interest groups, formal and informal envoys, industrialists with ties to foreign parent corps, and just flat out friends of VIPS, have been actively influencing elections since there were elections. It's not new, it's not espionage, it's incredibly naive (or clickbaity) to clutch pearls and cry foul as tho this has never happened before. Hell, Canada does it too, we just don't have the level of pull that the US or China or even Russia bring to the party. It's just a reality of being a country that has dealings w other countries.

That angle is being downplayed bcs it makes for boring headlines, doesn't support opposition parties' screeching, and if the Liberals take that angle opposition will screech complacency and conspiracy instead, but let us be clear - this not new.

I'm not disagreeing with the fact that every country does it. Doesn't mean we want it happening and it should go unpunished.

Guy I know had his house burnt down. Almost died. It was arson. They caught the gu but didin't have enough evidence to plant him at the scene of the crime. The individual in question had a giant rap sheet of similar offenses. The judicial system quite frankly fails our society when it comes to individuals who have mental health issues and are a danger to society.

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 01 April 2023 - 02:12 AM

Share this topic:

• 47 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users