• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Updated Chronological Order of the Series

#61 User is offline   Kurt Montandon 

• First Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:50 AM

[quote name='D'rek' date='27 January 2010 - 06:14 PM' timestamp='1264644882' post='723808']
[spoiler]
[quote name='Kurt Montandon' date='27 January 2010 - 02:18 PM' timestamp='1264619897' post='723670']

[quote name='Kurt Montandon' date='27 January 2010 - 02:18 PM' timestamp='1264619897' post='723670']
* Callows occuring before Black Coral and the White Faces leaving Genabackis/arriving in Letheras. Couldn't have happened before Diskanar's death (remember that Feather Witch travelled with the raiding fleets, so they would have had to occur after MT).
[/quote]

Other way around, I'd say. The timing of Callows matches up well with other references about how long the Edur fleets were at sea, but the Barghast couldn't possibly have made it to Lether during Diskanar's rule (nor could the Grey Swords). That prologue bit should be different to be during the Edur rule or some such.
[/quote]

That's actually what I meant, I just phrased it poorly.

Travelling through Tellan might account for it, if it wasn't for the Grey Swords also showing up waaaaay too soon.
I finally have an avatar ... and it's better than yours.

#62 User is offline   Knight of the Night 

• Claw
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:46 PM

Man! how much time did it take? And what the hell is about that error Reapers Gale prologue? I just somehow don´´t understand...

#63 User is offline   CowboyYojimbo 

• Sergeant

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:36 PM

I'm currently doing my re-read in this order. It's great!

#64 User is offline   Toke 

• Recruit

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:53 PM

Stonewielder is best to be read after RotCG and before TtH?

#65 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:46 PM

View PostToke, on 30 November 2010 - 02:53 PM, said:

Stonewielder is best to be read after RotCG and before TtH?

RotCG after RG, and before TTH. Stonewielder should be read after DoD, and before CG (I assume, given the info we currently have).

Actually the list on the Tor re-read page has the recommended reading order pretty much nailed: http://www.tor.com/b...d-of-the-fallen
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#66 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:01 PM

There's plenty of places the ICE books *could* fit with the SE ones, but if you want to ensure proper continuity, RotCG has to be after tBH and before TtH. SW can go just about anywhere after RotCG, but is probably best at least after TtH. Publishing order is between DoD and tCG, but it's not entirely necessary to be after DoD and you may want to read it after TtH because of DoD-tCG being "one super-book".

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#67 User is offline   King-of-Chains 

• King of High House Tragedy
  • I write, I read, I see...chamois

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:27 AM

Maybe this has already been point out, maybe it hasn't. However TTH takes place 5-6 years after the events of MoI. There's a lot of places within the book that state this in an indirect sort of fashion. If you remember Stonny Menackis is raped in MoI, and when TTH rolls around the child of said rape is 5-6 years old. There are a few other places to suggest this ammount of time has passed, but, that's the most obvious piece of evidence. This might help or hinder piecing together the rest of the timeline though.
Here is a series that will for ever inspire me. Not only as a writer, but as a person. Mr. Erikson has shown us both sides to the human condition. He has shown even the lost, the destitute, the forgotten and unwitnessed can triumph.

#68 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:36 AM

View PostWerthead, on 30 December 2007 - 05:53 PM, said:

Whilst the achievement of a unified timeline for the series may be possible once it is completed, it shold be possible to establish a rough chronological order for the novels and indeed the individual parts of the novels, including prologues, epilogues etc. This is my most recent attempt:

QUOTE CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER OF THE MALAZAN BOOK OF THE FALLEN
BBS: Before Burn's Sleep
BS: Burn's Sleep

??? BBS: Prologue I of Midnight Tides/Prologue I of Reaper's Gale*
298,665 BBS: Prologue I of Memories of Ice
119,736 BBS: Prologue II of Memories of Ice
1154 BS: Prologue of Gardens of the Moon
1154 BS: Night of Knives

1154 BS?: Blood Follows**
1154 BS?: The Lees of Laughters End
1158 BS: The Healthy Dead

1159 BS: Prologue II of Midnight Tides
1161 BS: Chapter 1 of Gardens of the Moon
1161-62 BS: Midnight Tides
1162-63 BS?: Prologue and Book I of House of Chains***

1163 BS: Gardens of the Moon
1163-64 BS: Deadhouse Gates/Memories of Ice (occur simultaneously)

1164 BS: Books II-IV of House of Chains

1164 BS?: Prologue II of Reaper's Gale

1164-65 BS?: The Bonehunter
1164-66 BS?: Return of the Crimson Guard (may overlap with both TBH & RG)
1165-66 BS?: Reaper's Gale
1165-66 BS?: Toll the Hounds
post-1166 BS: Dust of Dreams
post-1166 BS: The Crippled God

* I'm assuming the war between the K'Chain Che'Malle and the Tiste predates the Tellann Ritual in the opening prologue of MoI, as the Imass don't seem to know anything about the KCCM, indicating that their time is long before then.

** IIRC, Emancipor Reese says in MoI that he's been with Broach and Bauchelain for ten years, and Lees takes place shortly after Blood Follows.

*** This includes both Trull being stuck on the wall and the whole Karsa storyline and yes I know this is reopening an old can of worms.

Toll the hounds happens during DoD and the start of tCG, simultaneously i'd imagine
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#69 User is offline   IgnatiusKruppe 

• Lieutenant

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Have we ever thought that while one Edur ship floundered in the Nascent, others could have successfully traversed that or another Warren and tightened up the timeline?
Sorry, could have been mentioned and chewed over a million times already

#70 User is offline   IgnatiusKruppe 

• Lieutenant

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

I've always wondered about the Barghast fleet too.
I wonder if the throwaway line in MOI about how there are people called Barghast with similar customs all over the world is a hint?

#71 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:01 PM

:) I always took that as indicative that Barghast all descended from the Imass, who were the "first real humans" (after the Eres, ofc).

And speaking of throwaway hints: SE does that in RG (which I just finished re-reading), by having that Letherii Indebted girl run away from being slaughtered by the Awl straight into far past somewhere on 7C to live with the Eres until they get slaughtered by Dissembilackis-era Gral, as remembered by Taralack Veed. I'm pretty sure that can be seen as the most obvious hint from SE that "timeline's fucked up, don't try to figure it out".

fwiw, I always assumed less of a gap b/w TBH and RG, with RotCG running mostly parallel, but a bit behind RG (to explain the "Toc the Elder is still alive" line). My reasoning:
-as of the end of TBH, Edur ships are already on their way home with the champions. They head out at approximately the same time that Tavore is leaving Malaz island.
-the Edur know the way back. The Malazans don't know the way to Lether (presumably), and they make at least one stop (where Tavore makes her "speech").
-and yet, Malazans arrive to Lether (around Fent reach) about the same time (if not earlier) then the Edur get back to Letheras. Considering they presumably knew less about where to go then the Edur. Who may have also used warrens as a shortcut.
All in all, I don't think the actual journey from Malaz to Fent Reach could have taken a year.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users