Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Geography, Politics and Whatever

#1 User is offline   Draegan 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:50 PM

Just finished the first book. Glad it was recommended to me since I havn't read anything interesting in quite a while. The only problem (and it's really not a problem) is that because you are thrust right into the story you get confused with places and other items that are mentioned here and there and are not elaborated on.

I'm confused with the Empire and it's politics and locations. Maybe I need a history lesson or re-read some parts of the first book. But if I could get some questions answered with respects to me only having read the first book so far (Starting on Deadhouse Gates today), I'd appreciate it.

The Seven Cities. I'm assuming these are on the Empire's main continent right? They are about, or close to revolting? Is this because the Empire is spread thin?

The Free Cities on Genabackis. These include Pale, Daru. etc right? The map in the first book is sometime hard to determine which cities are what. Whats to the south there? Where is Caladan Brood fighting?

I'm also interested in the relationship and history with Rake and Brood. However I think that will be elaborated more in later books but if I know the answer now it'll be a Spoiler.

Does the Empire control everything on Genabackis north of Daru minus Brood's held territory?

I'm trying to get an overall feel of the world. Loved how the book gave you an overall feeling of the world and how it was organic that way rather than concentrate on one individual. Great job by the Author.

Sorry for all the random questions, it's hard to put my hand on what is confusing me or not so I just jotted a bunch down as they came to me.

#2 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:59 PM

I am not one to spoil a great story for you, The answers to most of your questions will be answered in the up coming books. The seven cities is not the empires main continent.

-Vengeance notes that you should read on and on...:D
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#3 User is offline   Draegan 

• Recruit

Posted 08 November 2007 - 04:07 PM

I need a world map. Just taking a look at the maps in Deadhouse I have no idea where they are. I guess I have to look at them more.

Edit: Found one on this forum. Answers some questions. Still damn confused where the Empire is and the global scope. Eager to dig into the next book.

#4 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:19 PM

Most of your questions are answered in GotM, but not in a clear or easily understood fashion. Everything below was in that book, but the first-time reader would have found it hard to pick up in the mass of information given without explanation. Once you read the rest of the series it is much much clearer.

Draegan;221528 said:

The Seven Cities. I'm assuming these are on the Empire's main continent right? They are about, or close to revolting? Is this because the Empire is spread thin?

The Empire originated on Malaz City, hence the name. This city is on an island off the coast of the continent of Quon Tali, which was the first major landmass to fall to the Empire. When this occurred is unclear, but I believe it dates back to the initial proclamation of the Empire - since before this landgrab, there was no territory worthy of the name "Empire". So that dates it to the beginning of Kellanved's reign as Emperor in the 1050's.

Quon Tali was the homeland of the Crimson Guard, and is the site of the city of Unta, the current Imperial capital. As far as I understand, races like the Quon (Paran), Falari (Fiddler), Itko Kanese (Apsalar) and Dal Honese (Kellanved) are from this continent. As we learned from our first encounter with the fishergirl who became Apsalar, these lands have been under Malazan dominion for generations, and they are utterly under control. No independent spirit remains. As the site of the capital, it is the heart of the Empire.

I consider Quon Tali a close analogue to Europe - lots of warring kingdoms, highly developed and civilised, largely white population (though the Itko Kanese appear to be Asian and the Dal Honese are black). Prince K'azz D'avore is an example of that royalty, which was displaced by the Malazans, and almost all the Quon characters are white.

The Malazans went on to conquer the continent of Seven Cities. This took a long time (I would say at least 10 years), and ended about 10 years before the main action of GotM. The death of Dassem Ultor marks the rough close of the campaign, around about the time of the GotM prologue when child Paran meets Whiskeyjack. Quick Ben and Kalam are from this continent, and were recruited from the enemy side during the successful Malazan conquest. Hairlock also entered the Malazan military by this route, as did most of the 2nd Army.

Seven Cities is a mostly desert continent with a largely black and tribal population. It is very restless under Malazan control, and as Dujek says at the end of GotM it is only days from a full scale rebellion. This is why the imperial authorities were concerned about the loyalties of the 2nd Army. To my mind, it is a close parallel to Africa.

The Malazans then moved onto Genebackis. Have a look at the map at the front of GotM. The Malazans landed on the north of the continent, at the city of Genebaris, and worked their way south. Pale marks the southernmost extent of their conquered territories. There is much more territory to the south of Pale, from Darujhistan on down. The Pannion Seer, which Dujek and Whiskeyjack describe as the real threat on the continent, holds territories to the south, and is swiftly moving upwards. Circle Breaker thinks about the southern cities that have recently fallen to the Seer.

The Free Cities on Genabackis. These include Pale, Daru. etc right? The map in the first book is sometime hard to determine which cities are what. Whats to the south there? Where is Caladan Brood fighting?

There were twelve free cities - Baruk and Crone speak of this number.

Genebackis appeared to consist of independent city states before the invasion, with no larger political units. They allied in the response to the threat, and at the start of GotM only two of the twelve remained free - Pale and Darujhistan. It's not clear which cities on the map were the Free Cities, as there are more than ten cities on the map in addition to Pale & Darujhistan, and the GotM glossary lists fewer than twelve Free Cities by name.

The Malazans (nominally) hold all the territory north of Pale, so the ten Free Cities were in this area. Caladan Brood and the Crimson Guard are in this occupied northern territory fighting a successful war of liberation. It seems that they are between Dujek's 2nd Army and the major Malazan base of operations in Genebaris, far to the north.

The Pannion Seer is to the south of Darujhistan.

I'm also interested in the relationship and history with Rake and Brood. However I think that will be elaborated more in later books but if I know the answer now it'll be a Spoiler.

Rake refers to Brood as his companion some 800 years in the past, when he speaks of the incident when Icarium came to visit him in Moon's Spawn. (Icarium was the maker of the timepiece in Darujhistan, that determined the beginning of the Year of Moon's Tears. He was described as having Jaghut blood, and had a Trell companion).

Rake and Brood have clearly been working together for a long time, but it is always an uneasy alliance. They are strong-willed and powerful individuals, and seem always on the verge of opposing each other.

Does the Empire control everything on Genabackis north of Daru minus Brood's held territory?

Yes.

Hope that helped, I enjoyed writing it.

edit: Regarding the number of Free Cities.

I count 10 total on the map at the start of the book. They are, north to south:

Hoop
Evinor
Ganiss
Genalle
Cajale
Sogena
Tulips
One Eye Cat
Pale
Darujhistan

"Place Names" in the GotM Glossary lists 8 Free Cities, 4 of which are not in the above list:

Apple (on map, but not marked as a Free City)
Darujhistan
Garalt (not on map, but see next)
Nisst (not on map, but there is the Free City of "Ganiss" - could this be the final version of the name, combining these two?)
One Eye Cat
Pale
Porule (not on map that I can see)
Tulips

I'd never written out the two groups before, but now I see that we actually have 14 different Free Cities where there should be 12!

Gardens of the Moon, on UK mmpb p.209, said:

Crone flapped up on the sill. She swivelled her head round and cocked an eye at Baruk. 'I see twelve ships riding a deep harbour,' she said. 'Eleven stand tall in flames.'

Baruk stiffened. He had not anticipated a prophecy. Now he was afraid. 'And the twelfth?' he asked, his voice barely a whisper.

'On the wind a hailstorm of sparks fill the night sky. I see them spinning, spinning about the last vessel.' Crone paused. 'Still spinning.' Then she was gone.

Baruk's shoulders slumped. He turned back to the map on the table and studied the eleven once Free Cities that now bore the Empire flag. Only Darujhistan remained, the twelfth and last marked by a flag that was not burgundy and grey. 'The passing of freedom,' he murmured.

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:07 AM

Here's the world map, it's compliments of Werthed and is under revision after each book. SE has remarked that it is very close to the map he made himself

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Crow Clan Baby 

• Lieutenant

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:11 AM

You've certainly got the thirst for knowledge about this series! There's a lot more facts (and a lot more questions) to come, so I'd advise you to hold off on wanting to know too much right now, relax and feel the joy of discovery, as well as knowing the frustration when you discover that the questions you're asking now are only the tip of the iceberg!

#7 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:34 AM

Part of the magic in this series (IMO) is that you don't know much to start..and there is a steep learning curve. But Crow Clan Baby is right....enjoy the ride...a great thing is in each new book you are introduced to something exciting and new.

#8 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:11 AM

Xander;247769 said:

Part of the magic in this series (IMO) is that you don't know much EVER..and there is a steep learning curve. But Crow Clan Baby is right....enjoy the ride...a great thing is in each new book you are introduced to something exciting and new.

corrected

~also any qustions you do have after the series has been read can for sure be answered on this board either by asking or using the search function....unless there is no answer (yet) in which case you can find a billion theories ranging from making perfect sense to absolutely crazy
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#9 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:02 PM

More detailed maps (the same as in the books itself i think) on http://daelstorm.the...rd.org/maps.php.

#10 User is offline   silentmaven 

• Recruit

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:43 AM

The Empire originated on Malaz City, hence the name. This city is on an island off the coast of the continent of Quon Tali, which was the first major landmass to fall to the Empire. When this occurred is unclear, but I believe it dates back to the initial proclamation of the Empire - since before this landgrab, there was no territory worthy of the name "Empire". So that dates it to the beginning of Kellanved's reign as Emperor in the 1050's.

Quon Tali was the homeland of the Crimson Guard, and is the site of the city of Unta, the current Imperial capital. As far as I understand, races like the Quon (Paran), Falari (Fiddler), Itko Kanese (Apsalar) and Dal Honese (Kellanved) are from this continent. As we learned from our first encounter with the fishergirl who became Apsalar, these lands have been under Malazan dominion for generations, and they are utterly under control. No independent spirit remains. As the site of the capital, it is the heart of the Empire.

I consider Quon Tali a close analogue to Europe - lots of warring kingdoms, highly developed and civilised, largely white population (though the Itko Kanese appear to be Asian and the Dal Honese are black). Prince K'azz D'avore is an example of that royalty, which was displaced by the Malazans, and almost all the Quon characters are white.

The Malazans went on to conquer the continent of Seven Cities. This took a long time (I would say at least 10 years), and ended about 10 years before the main action of GotM. The death of Dassem Ultor marks the rough close of the campaign, around about the time of the GotM prologue when child Paran meets Whiskeyjack. Quick Ben and Kalam are from this continent, and were recruited from the enemy side during the successful Malazan conquest. Hairlock also entered the Malazan military by this route, as did most of the 2nd Army.

Seven Cities is a mostly desert continent with a largely black and tribal population. It is very restless under Malazan control, and as Dujek says at the end of GotM it is only days from a full scale rebellion. This is why the imperial authorities were concerned about the loyalties of the 2nd Army. To my mind, it is a close parallel to Africa.

The Malazans then moved onto Genebackis. Have a look at the map at the front of GotM. The Malazans landed on the north of the continent, at the city of Genebaris, and worked their way south. Pale marks the southernmost extent of their conquered territories. There is much more territory to the south of Pale, from Darujhistan on down. The Pannion Seer, which Dujek and Whiskeyjack describe as the real threat on the continent, holds territories to the south, and is swiftly moving upwards. Circle Breaker thinks about the southern cities that have recently fallen to the Seer.

QUOTE The Free Cities on Genabackis. These include Pale, Daru. etc right? The map in the first book is sometime hard to determine which cities are what. Whats to the south there? Where is Caladan Brood fighting?

There were twelve free cities - Baruk and Crone speak of this number.

Genebackis appeared to consist of independent city states before the invasion, with no larger political units. They allied in the response to the threat, and at the start of GotM only two of the twelve remained free - Pale and Darujhistan. It's not clear which cities on the map were the Free Cities, as there are more than ten cities on the map in addition to Pale & Darujhistan, and the GotM glossary lists fewer than twelve Free Cities by name.

The Malazans (nominally) hold all the territory north of Pale, so the ten Free Cities were in this area. Caladan Brood and the Crimson Guard are in this occupied northern territory fighting a successful war of liberation. It seems that they are between Dujek's 2nd Army and the major Malazan base of operations in Genebaris, far to the north.

The Pannion Seer is to the south of Darujhistan.

QUOTE I'm also interested in the relationship and history with Rake and Brood. However I think that will be elaborated more in later books but if I know the answer now it'll be a Spoiler.

Rake refers to Brood as his companion some 800 years in the past, when he speaks of the incident when Icarium came to visit him in Moon's Spawn. (Icarium was the maker of the timepiece in Darujhistan, that determined the beginning of the Year of Moon's Tears. He was described as having Jaghut blood, and had a Trell companion).

Rake and Brood have clearly been working together for a long time, but it is always an uneasy alliance. They are strong-willed and powerful individuals, and seem always on the verge of opposing each other.

QUOTE Does the Empire control everything on Genabackis north of Daru minus Brood's held territory?

Yes.

Hope that helped, I enjoyed writing it.

edit: Regarding the number of Free Cities.

I count 10 total on the map at the start of the book. They are, north to south:

Hoop
Evinor
Ganiss
Genalle
Cajale
Sogena
Tulips
One Eye Cat
Pale
Darujhistan

"Place Names" in the GotM Glossary lists 8 Free Cities, 4 of which are not in the above list:

Apple (on map, but not marked as a Free City)
Darujhistan
Garalt (not on map, but see next)
Nisst (not on map, but there is the Free City of "Ganiss" - could this be the final version of the name, combining these two?)
One Eye Cat
Pale
Porule (not on map that I can see)
Tulips

I'd never written out the two groups before, but now I see that we actually have 14 different Free Cities where there should be 12!

Well you've done an amazing job of answering questions without actually answering questions...in other words, not spoiling a thing. Wonderful writeup Dolorous Menhir!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users