• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:47 AM

This trailer looks phenomenal.

I think what I really appreciate with this film is that they have finally departed from the Peter Parker stories we knew and introduced a knew version. A spider-man for a new age, with the token ethnic side kick of course to fill the minority quota, but also new ideas. Like his best friend knowing he is Spider-Man meaning we can avoid all the I have to lie about where I was stories. And the Iron-Man as a mentor angle makes for some fun scenarios.

#2 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:15 AM

Ooooh, yeah, looks like they've nailed it. Can't remember ever being excited for a Spider-Man film before. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:22 AM

One thing that is pretty dumb is the fact that he apparently has Tobey Maguire sickness and needs to remove his mask in public for no reason. It was dumb in 2002 but at least phone cameras were crap. Now a days his secret identity wouldn't last a day.

Got to admit it would probably also make more sense if Spider-Man was the one insisting on staying at school (because he just wants to be a normal kid) while Stark is the one trying to take him out of school.

It makes no sense to have a person of Parker's intellect and skill stuck in highschool if he would be interested in getting fast tracked via Stark Enterprises. But that's movie writing for you.

#4 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:18 PM

This looks AMAZING (to use a bit of a pun)! This trailer plays this exactly right. I want this movie to make truckloads of money for Sony and Disney....so that Fox can FINALLY see what making a deal for "use of character" can do for their bottom line (FF, X-Men). I know Fox are ten times worse than Sony with gripping their IP's with a death rictus...but if a multiple million dollar box office feature example can't sway them, nothing will.

Oh, and can we talk about how extremely META it is to have Michael Keaton, who just two years back starred in BIRDMAN...playing The Vulture. I mean, that's KIND of brilliant.

Also, Apt, your first post praised how fresh this all looks...and your second one is a traditionalist list of nitpicks. LOL. PICK A SIDE MAN! You can't have a varied and balanced set of opinions about a comic book movie, that's not allowed.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:25 PM

I really appreciate Keaton playing the Vulture as well. I am looking forward to seeing how he plays it. Keaton is a great bad guy.

About my criticism, I just don't understand why the hero has to take off the god damn mask. Is there focus testing out there that states that a certain demographic gets confused and forget who the actor is if they don't see their face every 10 minutes? The film is called Spider-Man. Not Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man.

The last Judge Dredd film got it right.

#6 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:34 PM

We went with vulture? seriously?

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:36 PM

Vulture is cool. He's also a good departure from the villains we've seen before.

I half suspect they picked Vulture because he can also be used a believable foe against Iron Man. Assuming this is power armor wing suit Vulture and not old bald guy in green spandex Vulture.

#8 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:04 PM

View PostApt, on 09 December 2016 - 01:25 PM, said:

I really appreciate Keaton playing the Vulture as well. I am looking forward to seeing how he plays it. Keaton is a great bad guy.

About my criticism, I just don't understand why the hero has to take off the god damn mask. Is there focus testing out there that states that a certain demographic gets confused and forget who the actor is if they don't see their face every 10 minutes? The film is called Spider-Man. Not Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man.

To be fair, it SEEMS more like his buddy catches him sneaking into his own room via the ceiling. Peter probably didn't expect him to be there. I don't think he just came in and "revealed" himself. More like he was busted...which is a very teenager screwup to make.

View PostCause, on 09 December 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

View PostApt, on 09 December 2016 - 01:36 PM, said:

Vulture is cool. He's also a good departure from the villains we've seen before.

I half suspect they picked Vulture because he can also be used a believable foe against Iron Man. Assuming this is power armor wing suit Vulture and not old bald guy in green spandex Vulture.

Agreed, and Sony/Marvel need to stay FAAAAAAAAR away from Norman Osborne/Green Goblin for a long time, and Vulture is a super interesting villain who hasn't been done yet. It was a smart idea to go with him, and even smarter to cast Keaton.

Also, Shocker seems to appear briefly (Bokeem Woodbine), as does (I think) Kraven (I think he's the guy who is in silhouette just before the bus in the International trailer).
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#9 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:10 PM

Vulture is famous enough that I know who he is I guess but he seems to be to be a definite B0-lister from Spidey's rogue gallery. Unless things have changed over the years.

I guess they have already wasted the goblin, Doc Oc and Venom and we don't want another reboot rehash. Same with the kingpin which was wasted in daredevil movie and I am still not clear how close the TV shows and movies are or are not. Actually thinking on it Vulture and Chameleon are all that's left and chameleon cant carry a movie on his own. Mr Smythe needs set up. Carnage is tied to venom. Shocker and scorpion etc also cant maintain a movie on their own outside of the sinister six. Still Vulture seems disappointing to me. I suppose part of the problem of a giant shared movie universe is that while Spider-Man is just developing I know in the background threats like thanos are building. In that situation vulture comes across as lame.

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:12 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 December 2016 - 02:04 PM, said:

View PostApt, on 09 December 2016 - 01:25 PM, said:

To be fair, it SEEMS more like his buddy catches him sneaking into his own room via the ceiling. Peter probably didn't expect him to be there. I don't think he just came in and "revealed" himself. More like he was busted...which is a very teenager screwup to make.

I don't mind the friend finding out about his identity. I usually hate how writers handle secret identity cover ups and friendships in super hero stories, since story drama revolving around lies is one of my pet peeves.

But there is at least two action scenes in that trailer where his mask is missing. The one where he is hanging on a wall and the one where he is holding some kind of metal bridge or ship together with his bare hands.

A scene straight out of Spider-Man 2.

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 December 2016 - 02:04 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 09 December 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

View PostApt, on 09 December 2016 - 01:36 PM, said:

Agreed, and Sony/Marvel need to stay FAAAAAAAAR away from Norman Osborne/Green Goblin for a long time, and Vulture is a super interesting villain who hasn't been done yet. It was a smart idea to go with him, and even smarter to cast Keaton.

Also, Shocker seems to appear briefly (Bokeem Woodbine), as does (I think) Kraven (I think he's the guy who is in silhouette just before the bus in the International trailer).

Wait, so they didn't scrap the Sinister Six story line after all? I thought it got canned with the reboot/re-imagination? Shocker and Kraven were part of the Sinister Six at one point, right?

#11 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:18 PM

View PostCause, on 09 December 2016 - 02:10 PM, said:

Vulture is famous enough that I know who he is I guess but he seems to be to be a definite B0-lister from Spidey's rogue gallery. Unless things have changed over the years.

I guess they have already wasted the goblin, Doc Oc and Venom and we don't want another reboot rehash. Same with the kingpin which was wasted in daredevil movie and I am still not clear how close the TV shows and movies are or are not. Actually thinking on it Vulture and Chameleon are all that's left and chameleon cant carry a movie on his own. Mr Smythe needs set up. Carnage is tied to venom. Shocker and scorpion etc also cant maintain a movie on their own outside of the sinister six. Still Vulture seems disappointing to me. I suppose part of the problem of a giant shared movie universe is that while Spider-Man is just developing I know in the background threats like thanos are building. In that situation vulture comes across as lame.

I think it's all about writing. Any one of the old gimmicky villains could get fleshed out and made a credible and interesting threat with the right writing. Think about Sandman in Spider-Man 3. He was meant to be throw away bad guy of the three villains in that film and turned out to be the only good thing in that film. The actor managed to make Sandman sympathetic and cool in one go.

I'd love it if Scorpion or Kraven got a chance. Scorpion was always one of my favorite Spider-Man villains since he's very close to Spider-Mans powers and that Scorpion tail of his is cool.

In regards to Kraven I want a super dark movie trilogy based on Kraven's Last Hunt. Have Kraven kill Spider-Man in the first film. Let him be Spider-Man in the second film and resurrect Spider-Man at the end. And let them have a final face-off in the third film.

#12 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:32 PM

I think Kraven would have been awesome! He could have come to manhattan to fight Spider-Man after learning about him from the fight at the airport in civil war. Need a reason as to why he chose Spider-Man as his target over all the other heroes though. A kraven the hunter who cleverly deduces spider mans's identity and use Aunt Maeve as part of an elaborate trap to bait his prey etc could be awesome. Kraven if I recall is actually not even close to a match for Spider-Man so a careful and calculating Kraven is needed. Agree it needs to be dark.

#13 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:33 PM

View PostApt, on 09 December 2016 - 02:12 PM, said:

[
But there is at least two action scenes in that trailer where his mask is missing. The one where he is hanging on a wall and the one where he is holding some kind of metal bridge or ship together with his bare hands.

A scene straight out of Spider-Man 2.

The boat scene the mask is on, not off. Look again. :p

There is no one around him in the other scene...so not necessarily a reveal.

#14 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:40 PM

I made the video fullscreen and you're right, he does have his mask on in the boat scene. I am 50% less annoyed.

#15 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:41 PM

View PostApt, on 09 December 2016 - 02:40 PM, said:

I made the video fullscreen and you're right, he does have his mask on in the boat scene. I am 50% less annoyed.

I'll take it!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users