Malazan Empire: Kingkiller Chronicles - TV & Film (maybe Stage?) Adaptations - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kingkiller Chronicles - TV & Film (maybe Stage?) Adaptations How did Lin-Manuel Miranda get involved in this?

#1 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:26 PM

Source: http://www.thewrap.c...ller-chronicle/

Lin-Manuel Miranda is set to produce a film and TV adaptation of Rothfuss' unfinished Kingkiller Chronicles. He's also going to compose and write original songs for them.

Lindsey Beer to write the film script. It looks like the film and TV show will both air side-by-side.

EDIT: This Lindsey Beer person seems to have come out of nowhere yet is somehow attached to several big projects (Transformers 5, Barbie movie, ROM movie, D&D movie). I googled her and came up with this snippet, "[p]rior to becoming a scriptwriter, Beer was a science major at Stanford where she studied neuroscience and the intersection of technology with society," which is sort of reassuring.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 29 November 2016 - 10:29 PM

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:38 AM

The really important question is whether they go with CGI or mocap for the dragoncow.Or maybe a donkey in a dragoncow costume.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:46 AM

I think they're going to get Vincent D'onofrio into one of those Andy Serkis style green suits and let him rip.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:31 AM

John Goodman wasn't available?

#5 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:15 AM

The boardroom at Lionsgate right now:

Attached File  giphy (1).gif (569.23K)
Number of downloads: 0
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#6 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:29 PM

I've not actually read anything by Patrick Rothfuss but if LMM is on board I am so in.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:28 PM

Eh, I want to be excited by this news...but I feel like there are simply better series out there to be adapted than Kingkiller. I was into it with book 1 (for the most part) but book 2 is a Messssssss.

Still, LMM is a solid creator, so perhaps there is something to come of this.

And hey, maybe a film version of the story will mean the author will finish the long delayed final book sooner, it certainly worked for Game of Thrones....oh wait.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 01 December 2016 - 05:12 PM

I find it difficult to get excited about an adaption of something still so long unfinished. He's almost six years out from the last book (having just double checked, March 2017 marks the six year point since the publication of Wise Man's Fear).

I've just has a sneaky look at the gaps between the Song of Ice and Fire books. Believe it or not - and I had to read it a couple of times - Rothfuss is actually *worse* at this point with gaps between books. The six year mark for Dance with Dragons is July 2017.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 01 December 2016 - 05:13 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#9 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:10 PM

He did publish The Slow Regard of Silent things, which is a decent-ish novella.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#10 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:07 AM

The verse sections might actually be performed well. So many contemporary actors have the awful habit of reciting verse intended to be more mellifluous than ordinary speech by instead flattening the rhythm and pitch of their voices and sounding like they have no idea what they're saying. (For example, Penny Dreadful, which I generally liked... the actors had such mellifluous, rhythmic voices that I thought they'd be great at reciting poetry. But no---even though the historical record is clear that Blake, Wordsworth, Tennyson et cetera *intended* their poetry to be chanted in a manner between speech and song, these actors flattened their voices... with the notable exception of Eva Green, who being French probably realized how silly the modern Anglophone taboo against incantatory recitation of poetry in acting and forensics really is. One irony being that the melodramatic speaking-style of the British actors on that show owes a great deal to the incantatory performance of Shakespeare's verse as verse, and barely resembles the way just about anyone speaks, especially in the Victorian era---as we can hear from recordings of Tennyson, Browning, and others, they had it exactly backwards: conversational speech was flatter and faster, and poetry was more rhythmic and more song-like, at least among people who had heard or heard of Tennyson's famous readings, or who understood that Blake's "songs" really were intended to be either sung or rhythmically chanted. And Rothfuss himself reads in a very mellifluous way, and his poetry is largely metrical iirc.)

In retrospect, LMM's recent episode of Drunk History suggests a few striking similarities between Hamilton and Kvothe....

Interesting also that the series will be exploring parts of the world beyond what's in the books (so far).

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 02 December 2016 - 03:09 AM

#11 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:23 AM

View PostBriar King, on 02 December 2016 - 03:14 AM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 01 December 2016 - 05:12 PM, said:

I find it difficult to get excited about an adaption of something still so long unfinished. He's almost six years out from the last book (having just double checked, March 2017 marks the six year point since the publication of Wise Man's Fear).

I've just has a sneaky look at the gaps between the Song of Ice and Fire books. Believe it or not - and I had to read it a couple of times - Rothfuss is actually *worse* at this point with gaps between books. The six year mark for Dance with Dragons is July 2017.

And I could swear I remember reading when bk 1 came out that all 3 where written already

He claims he spent decades working on and revising the first book, trying to get it "perfect" (incidentally imo it's not that great, but it's enjoyable). Before the second book's release he had a bunch of "beta testers" provide feedback for revisions.

So it may be less a matter of writing it and more one of being willing to abandon perpetually revising ("finishing") it. (Because revisions after something's published are just too much strangeness for an audience to handle....)

#12 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:27 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 02 December 2016 - 03:07 AM, said:

The verse sections might actually be performed well. So many contemporary actors have the awful habit of reciting verse intended to be more mellifluous than ordinary speech by instead flattening the rhythm and pitch of their voices and sounding like they have no idea what they're saying. (For example, Penny Dreadful, which I generally liked... the actors had such mellifluous, rhythmic voices that I thought they'd be great at reciting poetry. But no---even though the historical record is clear that Blake, Wordsworth, Tennyson et cetera *intended* their poetry to be chanted in a manner between speech and song, these actors flattened their voices... with the notable exception of Eva Green, who being French probably realized how silly the modern Anglophone taboo against incantatory recitation of poetry in acting and forensics really is. One irony being that the melodramatic speaking-style of the British actors on that show owes a great deal to the incantatory performance of Shakespeare's verse as verse, and barely resembles the way just about anyone speaks, especially in the Victorian era---as we can hear from recordings of Tennyson, Browning, and others, they had it exactly backwards: conversational speech was flatter and faster, and poetry was more rhythmic and more song-like, at least among people who had heard or heard of Tennyson's famous readings, or who understood that Blake's "songs" really were intended to be either sung or rhythmically chanted. And Rothfuss himself reads in a very mellifluous way, and his poetry is largely metrical iirc.)

In retrospect, LMM's recent episode of Drunk History suggests a few striking similarities between Hamilton and Kvothe....

Interesting also that the series will be exploring parts of the world beyond what's in the books (so far).

Got any links to clips that show the differences you mention on Downton Abbey? Or just anything where the intonational differences are audible?

#13 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:46 AM

View Postamphibian, on 01 December 2016 - 08:10 PM, said:

He did publish The Slow Regard of Silent things, which is a decent-ish novella.

That's true, but I was meaning more the continuation of the main series (I didn't count World of Ice and Fire or Knight of the Seven Kingdoms for Martin either in those gaps).
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#14 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:28 AM

Half of it will be Kvothe being impossibly great, the other half will be him hunched over tables with a pan shot of him counting coins.

Maybe the TV show will lift the book from averageness, but my hopes are slim.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#15 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:22 AM

Could go the SHANNARA route and only draw the barest bits from the books.

Or go the DARK TOWER route... tell a different part of the story in a different medium. In theory there are entire years of Kvothe's life they could cover that are only refs in the books.

Or just all dragoncows all the time.

#16 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:57 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 01 December 2016 - 03:28 PM, said:

Eh, I want to be excited by this news...but I feel like there are simply better series out there to be adapted than Kingkiller. I was into it with book 1 (for the most part) but book 2 is a Messssssss.

Still, LMM is a solid creator, so perhaps there is something to come of this.

And hey, maybe a film version of the story will mean the author will finish the long delayed final book sooner, it certainly worked for Game of Thrones....oh wait.

I am entirely in agreement with everything QT says here.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#17 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:58 PM

KingKiller Chronicles:

Rise of the DragonCow

#18 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:22 PM

Kingkiller Chronicles 2: The Wrath of Betsy

#19 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:25 PM

As long as they cast the sex ninjas correctly, all will be well.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#20 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:21 AM

KingKiller Chronicles 3:

Sex ninja vs sex elves

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users