• You cannot reply to this topic

What is going on here? Bravo for certain things but it seems like it's dying

#1 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:41 AM

Yeah it's Mal,

I look at this website and I don't see a lot of difference from when I passed it over to new management and I am disappointed. Is this place dying? Is it? Ask yourself - do you spend less time here than you used to? Are you less interested in this place than you were a year ago? I know I am but I'm a fucking troublemaker so my opinion doesn't really count. My life is good - the fact that some part of me cares about what happens in this place speaks to my essential madness. I love you crazy fucks but, BUT I also cannot fucking tolerate the dumbcunts among you. Anonymity is important to freedom of expression and that's just true. I feel like this is it - I host SE regularly, I'm even starting to feel like he's a mate of mine, like he trusts me - I don't trust him but I more or less worship him so it's easy and I love it. I love and respect this man beyond what conventional wisdom would tell you was appropriate. The fandom seems to have morphed into something that neither he nor I can understand. We'll see how it goes - will I be banned immediately? That's the smart choice but ... whatever happens, DO BETTER - doing the same thing for less money is laudable for sure but you ought to be innovating. DO BETTER.

#2 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:43 AM

Guys?
Can we all agree that a cage match between Nico and Mal would be fucking awesome to watch?
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#3 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:47 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 24 August 2016 - 05:43 AM, said:

Guys?
Can we all agree that a cage match between Nico and Mal would be fucking awesome to watch?

The last Nico I'm familiar with was a guy who had a real-life doll fetish and that was weird but I think he got a bad rap here. That being said, I would have that guy for a snack. There's a new Nico whom some guy thinks would be a match for me? Sign me up, there's nothing I like better than online combat ^_^

#4 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:52 AM

View PostUrquart, on 24 August 2016 - 05:47 AM, said:

Guys?

The last Nico I'm familiar with was a guy who had a real-life doll fetish and that was weird but I think he got a bad rap here. That being said, I would have that guy for a snack. There's a new Nico whom some guy thinks would be a match for me? Sign me up, there's nothing I like better than online combat ^_^

I don't know who the last Nico you met was. I'm talking about Nicodemius, who is practically immovable when involved in a discussion.

The cage match would be an "unstoppable force vs immovable object" sort of affair.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#5 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:00 AM

Oh Mal vs Nico.

A mouthwatering prospect.

Regarding the matter at hand.

Personally Id say Im as active as I usually was, but a lot of old big posters have tailed off. I think as the main series has wrapped up and many (well.me and a few anyway) are struggling with the density of the Karkanss trilogy interest will tail off. Some people were here to discuss the books just, activity does still spike a bit at new releases.
The place hasn't died, its just changed Mal, sure not all change is good, but you haven't been tearing the place up with posts yourself recently have you? ^_^

I think there's still healthy activity in the discussion forum, games, movies and other literature, I rarely head north unless its tk check the art forum, but I never really did. Id imagine given the series has been going for 15 years, we've hashed out most of the debates too many times for the main series.
The timeline does not matter

#6 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:01 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 24 August 2016 - 05:52 AM, said:

View PostUrquart, on 24 August 2016 - 05:47 AM, said:

Guys?

I don't know who the last Nico you met was. I'm talking about Nicodemius, who is practically immovable when involved in a discussion.

The cage match would be an "unstoppable force vs immovable object" sort of affair.

I doubt it. In this scenario I'm supposed to be the "unstoppable force" right? Quite right and I would be - Cougar is the only fucker that I know who can stand with me and I miss him like hell. COUGAR! Where are you? Fuck all these entitled wankrags. Let's you and me lay waste to this place! Oh, I know, you're such a conciliator when it comes down to brass tacks but I know you want the same things I want.

#7 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:11 AM

View PostMacros, on 24 August 2016 - 06:00 AM, said:

Oh Mal vs Nico.

A mouthwatering prospect.

Regarding the matter at hand.

Personally Id say Im as active as I usually was, but a lot of old big posters have tailed off. I think as the main series has wrapped up and many (well.me and a few anyway) are struggling with the density of the Karkanss trilogy interest will tail off. Some people were here to discuss the books just, activity does still spike a bit at new releases.
The place hasn't died, its just changed Mal, sure not all change is good, but you haven't been tearing the place up with posts yourself recently have you? ^_^

I think there's still healthy activity in the discussion forum, games, movies and other literature, I rarely head north unless its tk check the art forum, but I never really did. Id imagine given the series has been going for 15 years, we've hashed out most of the debates too many times for the main series.
The timeline does not matter

YOU MUST COME TO VISIT IN THE WINTER. MUST!

Highgarden B&B
420 Fulford-Ganges Road
Salt Spring Island
V8K 2K1
(250) 900-6772

Any of you other fuckers get an attack of courage and you can come too.

This place needs rebels man - people who don't give as much of a fuck as everybody else. If you eliminate that, I dunno man, in my opinion you kill the whole thing. Steve's works encourage rebellion imo and I eat no shit, not in any part of my life.

I look forward to a confrontation with 'Nicodemius' is it? Just say that out loud, trying to pronounce it correctly. Still with me? I don't know this person or have anything in particular against them. My history here is well-known and documented so I will cede the advantage to Nico - s/he gets to start, with the mods permission of course :D

#8 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:29 AM

It'll be next year Mal, finances are dire at the minute, too many weddings the last few years.

jump into chat

#9 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:32 AM

Also, why Urquart?

#10 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:42 AM

View PostMacros, on 24 August 2016 - 06:32 AM, said:

Also, why Urquart?

"a Hengan crime boss" - good enough for me ^_^

#11 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:59 AM

I need specifics.

What do you dislike?
What do you like?
What would you like to see (more of)?
Etc.

Otherwise it's a bit ...

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  abe.jpg (45.59K)
    Number of downloads: 0

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:09 AM

I have to agree with the Captain a bit. This reminds of back when I was involved with running a computer club for kids, both of age and of heart and some of the old guys who used to run it came back to see what was going on. Aside from a few of them, they'd pretty much all do nothing but complain.

I wasn't here long enough to really get to know you Mal, but I think I'm going to stick with the old "put up or shut up" adage.

It's not to be mean or dismissive. But setting up a place and then handing it over to someone else and leave only to come back and complain that it's not as awesome as in the good old days, well, it's just not very helpful.

If people want to come back and have fun, talk about shit and tear up asses and relive the good old days, then by all means, have at it. But if they only come back to complain, ie. troll, then really, kindly go away. Posted Image
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#13 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:31 AM

View PostUrquart, on 24 August 2016 - 05:41 AM, said:

Yeah it's Mal,

I look at this website and I don't see a lot of difference from when I passed it over to new management and I am disappointed. Is this place dying? Is it? Ask yourself - do you spend less time here than you used to? Are you less interested in this place than you were a year ago? I know I am but I'm a fucking troublemaker so my opinion doesn't really count. My life is good - the fact that some part of me cares about what happens in this place speaks to my essential madness. I love you crazy fucks but, BUT I also cannot fucking tolerate the dumbcunts among you. Anonymity is important to freedom of expression and that's just true. I feel like this is it - I host SE regularly, I'm even starting to feel like he's a mate of mine, like he trusts me - I don't trust him but I more or less worship him so it's easy and I love it. I love and respect this man beyond what conventional wisdom would tell you was appropriate. The fandom seems to have morphed into something that neither he nor I can understand. We'll see how it goes - will I be banned immediately? That's the smart choice but ... whatever happens, DO BETTER - doing the same thing for less money is laudable for sure but you ought to be innovating. DO BETTER.

Okay, as a newbie I can't compare between your good old days and now: What do you think is wrong with the current forum in comparision to your good old golden times?

And more important: Why can't Steve understand us? Too much whining what is messing with our grooves? Too much mafia? Too many TV discussions?^_^

#14 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:32 AM

Oh, and a cage match would be great ^_^

#15 User is offline   Soulcrusher 

• Sergeant

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:05 PM

I hardly ever post, but I do check daily and read all the new threads

#16 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:10 PM

Somehow I doubt SE is too concerned about the state of the forum. Mal, otoh...

I might pen a longer, rambling answer later, but the gist is: the "SE fans" aspect of the fora is fine: there's a ton of new members/readers who ask newb questions, get helpful answers; there's fan-made world map, timelines (nod to D'rek); wiki (nod to Egwene); a ton of superb art (nod to Puck and the rest of the artists); there's even several budding authors who cite SE as their main inspiration who are getting published!

The other aspect of the forum is "the scary mob"--the core user base that makes up "the community" and mostly lurks south of the book-related subforums. There's been plenty of changes here, but that's due to life happening to all of us. People outgrow the forum and leave (not everyone makes a Brood-like exit thread). And those who stick around develop a somewhat possessive attitude to the forum as their hangout spot, so there's less demand for drama and excitement than there may have been back in the day.
Note also that the average age of the "scary mob" has significantly increased since the early days. That tends to temper people.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#17 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:10 PM

View Post- Coltaine -, on 24 August 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

And more important: Why can't Steve understand us? Too much whining what is messing with our grooves? Too much mafia? Too many TV discussions?^_^

We almost drowned him in a fish pond. He's never been the same since.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#18 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:28 PM

I'm relatively new, but very guilty of hanging around purely in Off Topic with occasional ventures northward. I think there's something to be said for the fact the people who've been around since the early days can answer threads much more quickly and succinctly than me, and as someone said up thread a lot of what you would class as the major debate topics have probably been thoroughly covered.
- Wyrd biğ ful aræd -

#19 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:34 PM

Most of the lack of the old forum members is, let's face it, on the people who have gotten themselves a life and moved on. Also, the later books, especially the Kharkanas ones, are not everyone's thing. I don't get it either. You missed all the drama around FoL.

That said, good to see you're well and ready to get into an internet fight, Mal.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#20 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:11 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 24 August 2016 - 12:28 PM, said:

I'm relatively new, but very guilty of hanging around purely in Off Topic with occasional ventures northward. I think there's something to be said for the fact the people who've been around since the early days can answer threads much more quickly and succinctly than me, and as someone said up thread a lot of what you would class as the major debate topics have probably been thoroughly covered.

Nothing to feel guilty about, that's what loads of us do now unless we're on a reread, and most of us have done a few of those by now anyway.

It's actually pretty incredible that so many people have stayed regular members after all this time, still check in so often, and have found new things to talk about.

No one needs to justify how they use the forum.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 24 August 2016 - 03:49 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users