Malazan Empire: Favourite scenes from TV Shows and Films - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Favourite scenes from TV Shows and Films Spoilers for er... everything! It's now a free-for-all!

#1 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:10 PM

I was rewatching X-Men Apocalypse earlier with a mate and we ended up watching the Quicksilver scene a few times due to it's awesomeness and we got talking from there about our favourite scenes from films, not just kick ass ones but ones that have lived with us for other reasons too and I thought it would be a good topic here. So what are some of your favourite scenes or ones that live with you, ones that you can watch over and over.

Obviously this will contain spoilers from all the films people list...

So some of my favourite ones for differing reasons:

As a kid...

Transformers the Movie (yes) - I was a kid okay but damn, HIS death absolutely broke my heart as a child, I was inconsolable, Transformers and Optimus were my life back then and this nearly ended me, I was distraught for days! Fuckers. This scene and film live with me still today.

Street Fighter 2 the Animated Movie - that opening scene between Ryu and Sagat blew my mind as a kid, I loved everything Street Fighter - mainly because no one could beat me at the game - in my early days my gamer tag always had Ryu in it, loved that film and after that I started searching what type of film it was and that led me to manga films, never looked back since and always watch some of the classics. Equally the final fight between Ryu/Ken and Bison - I loved.

Jurassic Park - This was the first film I saw at the cinema and there are loads of scenes I could pick but the first Brachiosaurus scene, I can remember just thinking wow I'm hooked.

My uncle was a Star Wars fan and always tried to get me to watch it and I did but for some reason I can remember that they never took with me, I was more into Conan, Rambo back then. Great childrens education.

Some random ones:

X-Men Apocalypse - Quicksilver, as above, pure genius of a scene where he is rescuing people at the mansion, the music is perfect.

The Usual Suspects - "And like that... he is gone" That twist man, first time I watched this film it blew my mind. My all time favourite film.

Good Will Hunting - "It's not your fault, Will" This film hits home for personal reasons and man, Robin Williams is SO good in it but that scene I found so powerful at the time, still gets me now and again if I watch it.

Gladiator - "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED" Nuff said...

Memento - Again, the end and reveal when it all clicks into place, quality. Makes you want to watch it over again straight away.

Dog Soldiers - "I hope I give you the shits!" That final fight is twisted gold.

Shout out to anything Joker/Heath Ledger related too.

I know there will be loads more for me but these are the ones that come straight to mind.

This post has been edited by champ: 29 July 2016 - 09:53 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:43 PM

The key scene in Gladiator to me is the "Am I not merciful?" one. Without Joaquin Phoenix that movie woulda been -- not bad -- but much closer to ho-hum (minus the solid action work).

I'll try to think of my own favorite scenes though...it's tough, off the top of my head.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:03 PM

Of the top of my head:

Apocalypse Now - Marlon Brando and Martin Sheen

Blade Runner - Rutger Hauer rooftop death scene

True Romance - Dennis Hopper trailer scene with Christopher Walken
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#4 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:30 PM

The scene that always gets me with Gladiator is the final scene with Djimon Hounsou burying the figures in the dirt of the Colosseum and saying that he will see him again, 'but not this day'. With the accompanying music,I literally well up every damn time! I watch the whole film thinking 'damn that scene's gonna get me again' and sure enough...

EDIT: It seems that just thinking about it is enough to make me emotional lol

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 27 July 2016 - 11:31 PM

"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#5 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:46 AM

The Train station scene from ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST. When Charles Bronson is facing the 3 gunslingers and they tell him to come along with them. I"m paraphrasing, but it goes something like...
Charles Bronson........ You've got the wrong number of horses (3).
Bad guy says..Looks like we're one short.
Charles Bronson.... No, you've 2 too many. And then the staredowns begin. He was one steely looking S.O.B.

The scene between the doctor (Simon) and River in the the tunnel in the Firefly movie, SERENITY.

There is a fight scene that always stands out to me form a Kurosawa film called REDBEARD (or AKAHIGE in Japanese). It is a nice slow moving film about a brash young surgeon from the city being sent out to do some of his training with a country doctor (played by Toshiro Mifune). The scene in question come s from an incident when the doctor tries to rescue a young girl from a brothel and gets confronted by the men from the village at the brothel owners behest. Lets just say it doesn't go well for them. And then the film settles back into it's sedate pace again.

The computer H.A.L. singing Daisy as the scientist pulls out the chips in 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY. So sad.

Ed Harris and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio in THE ABYSS, when they realise they've only enough oxygen for one. Having run out of air while diving once, and nearly dying from asthma another time, drowning scenes mean something to me, but this was brilliantly done.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:48 AM

This is definitely one of my all-time faves:

I also really love the ravaging of the boar god early in Princess Mononoke. It's scary and viscerally horrifying.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:12 AM

13th warrior -
I LISTENED!!

And lo there is my father...

#8 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:53 AM

Here's a few of my faves.

The swell of the music, the speech, and the cut to black (everything except for Bale's silly Batman voice)

And this (start at 2minutes in....Kingsley's disembodied voice whsipering through the Patronus get me every time)

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:53 AM

I have loved this scene since I was a kid (Willow).

And I will second this scene from GLADIATOR.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:09 AM

View PostKanyemander West, on 27 July 2016 - 09:43 PM, said:

The key scene in Gladiator to me is the "Am I not merciful?" one. Without Joaquin Phoenix that movie woulda been -- not bad -- but much closer to ho-hum (minus the solid action work).

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 27 July 2016 - 11:30 PM, said:

The scene that always gets me with Gladiator is the final scene with Djimon Hounsou burying the figures in the dirt of the Colosseum and saying that he will see him again, 'but not this day'. With the accompanying music,I literally well up every damn time! I watch the whole film thinking 'damn that scene's gonna get me again' and sure enough...

EDIT: It seems that just thinking about it is enough to make me emotional lol

View PostQuickTidal, on 28 July 2016 - 10:53 AM, said:

And I will second this scene from GLADIATOR.

There are so many great scenes from this film, even the, "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions..."

I think my watching for tonight is sorted...

Another couple I thought of:

Excalibur and the charge / O Fortuna music blasting.

Alexander the Great - Ptolemy/Anthony Hopkins and his closing speech.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#11 User is offline   Solidsnape 

• Emperor
  • Interests:Playing Guitar/Ukulele/Banjolele, reading, music, Wing Chun Kuen, my 2 boys and my wonderful GF.
  • From good 'ol Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:22 AM

Anything from Tarantino.
Off the top off my head;

The strudel scene in Bastards.
The watch scene in Pulp
Too many.

Got to love that Back to the Future- Enchantment Under the Sea Dance- Johnny B Good rendition.

Many many more.
"If you seek the crumpled bones of the T'lan Imass,
gather into one hand the sands of Raraku"
The Holy Desert
- Anonymous.

#12 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:48 AM

This entire thing:

#13 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:12 PM

I've always been partial to Trinity's one liner here:

and how about this, probably one of the best ending scenes to a movie ever:

#14 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:23 PM

And though there are no subtitles on this clip (it's in German), but this when I saw it in theatre Lola Rennt (AKA Run Lola Run) I think my mind melted from how Tom Tykwer assembled this scene into a flawless action sequence with a bunch of stationary people and set pieces, while Lola is the only kinetic things buzzing by. I'ts pretty damned perfect (note: it's also funnier if you understand German or if there were subtitles). Basically Lola needs money to save her boyfriend from some thugs, so the scene where she's running through people is her trying to figure out who can get nher money fast....the person she pauses on is her dad...who shakes his head no. The entire movie is that kinetic and funny.

#15 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:33 PM

And though this clip only works if you've watched the entire preceding movie...but this is probably one of the most mind-bendingly fantastic endings to a movie I've ever seen. I get gooseflesh to this day with the ending to Donnie Darko, with Gary Jules playing in the background, Jenna Malone and the mom's knowing/unkowing nod...goddamn this is a breathtaking sequence.

Note: DO NOT WATCH of you've never seen Donnie Darko.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 28 July 2016 - 01:34 PM

#16 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:45 PM

View Postchamp, on 28 July 2016 - 11:09 AM, said:

There are so many great scenes from this film, even the, "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions..."

Idont know why but that scene has never been able to effect me the way it did the first time. It was so powerful the first time I saw the movie but on every re-watch since it just falls flat. Actually upset me the first time I watched the movie again.

I will never forget my first gladiator experience though. The Speakers in the cinema were so loud that my clothes were vibrating from the soundwaves

#17 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:30 PM

View PostGorefest, on 27 July 2016 - 11:03 PM, said:

I hold this to be be the single greatest scene in the history of cinema.

View PostSolidsnape, on 28 July 2016 - 11:22 AM, said:

Anything from Tarantino.
Off the top off my head;

The strudel scene in Bastards.

The watch scene in Pulp

Would argue for the Big Mac conversation at the beginning of PULP, altho the watch scene is a close second.

A few others that come to mind...

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - the beach storming at the start. There is SO MUCH brilliance going on in that sequence... the helmet ricochet, the medic's canteen... blows me away every time i watch it.

TOMBSTONE - the OK Corral gunfight, and the glorious showdown at the end.

BATTLESHIP - wait, wait, hear me out.... the movie is terribad. The first 45 minutes are an insult to the universe. But this scene.... this scene is FUCKING GOLD. The battle that follows is pretty good too.

KILL BILL vol 1 - The Bride vs the Crazy 88s.

THE INCREDIBLES - the 100 Mile Dash. The single most perfect scene of any superhero movie ever made.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#18 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:47 PM

View PostAbyss, on 28 July 2016 - 02:30 PM, said:

Posted Image

[edit]Seriously, how does one embed YouTube videos....

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 28 July 2016 - 02:52 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#19 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:58 PM

View PostGorefest, on 28 July 2016 - 02:47 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 28 July 2016 - 02:30 PM, said:

Posted Image

[edit]Seriously, how does one embed YouTube videos....

you gotta take the s out of HTTPS. Fixed it for you.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 28 July 2016 - 02:58 PM

#20 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:58 PM

Remove the security s from https:

https://www.instants...ucts/https.html

If you remove the s the video embeds itself automatically.

This post has been edited by Apt: 28 July 2016 - 02:59 PM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users