Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Yet to start!

#1 User is offline   Jaghut#1 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:21 PM

Hey guys! I'm a longtime Malazan reader, used to be really into the series several years ago and reread almost all of Erikson's books.

I absolutely love everything Malazan and I first read Forge of Darkness in 2012, but since then I haven't had the chance to do a reread of that or any other Erikson or Esslemont books. I currently just went out and bought a copy of Fall of Light and Assail (yes, haven't been able to read that yet either). I really can't wait to start reading again, but I can't decide if I should try and read these right now or maybe go through a reread first to refresh my memory. I was recently going through the forums and I've realized that there is so much I just don't remember. So I guess I'm really fearful of beginning to read Fall of Light and missing out on so much of the book because I can't pick up on the references to the original Malazan series. I was wondering on if any of you who have read Fall of Light can give me some advice on this. I'm currently thinking of rereading Forge of Darkness before starting Fall of Light, mainly because I just don't think I have the time and emotional energy to go through everything in those first 10 books of Malazan once again. So the question is, should I just dive into Fall of Light now or should I put it off for after I eventually finish a complete reread (could be up to a decade from now haha).

Hope everyone here is doing well!

Cheers

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:25 PM

My $0.02CDN...

Read ASSAIL now. It will remind you of a lot of the Malazan stuff you have forgotten.

Then reread (or skim) FoD, then read FoL.

Then COMPLETE SERIES REREAD WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   Kasig 

• Recruit

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:08 PM

Heys,
If you're just worried about FoL then my advice is to just get reacquainted with Forge and you should be good for the majority of Fall, with the note that having already read the Book of the Fallen, albeit a while ago, you can also use the info stored right just around the corner here on the encyclopedia for a refresh on certain characters, locations and the like.

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:11 PM

I agree with Abyss, even at the current exchange rate.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   Jaghut#1 

• Recruit

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for the input. I think I'll follow the suggestions, reading Assail first then Fall of Light and making constant use of the encyclopedia.

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:24 AM

And we're handy too if you blank on something.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users