Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

KONG: SKULL ISLAND We're going to need a bigger banana

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 July 2016 - 12:18 PM

I can't say I like this trailer very much. I get that this is supposed to be a monster film that sets up the premise for the King Kong vs Godzilla film, but there's no charm in this trailer. Peter Jackson's King Kong felt like an adventure, this looks weird. Like it's an action film about some marines fighting a big ape. Surely there is more to the story, otherwise I know who my money is on.

Also, Goodman is looking thin in this film, compared to Cloverfield Lane.

This post has been edited by Apt: 24 July 2016 - 12:22 PM

#2 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 24 July 2016 - 06:30 PM

View PostApt, on 24 July 2016 - 12:18 PM, said:

I can't say I like this trailer very much. I get that this is supposed to be a monster film that sets up the premise for the King Kong vs Godzilla film, but there's no charm in this trailer. Peter Jackson's King Kong felt like an adventure, this looks weird. Like it's an action film about some marines fighting a big ape. Surely there is more to the story, otherwise I know who my money is on.

I agree. I like the sense of exploration and adventure of the Peter Jackson version (and to an extent the earlier versions). The opening of this trailer has a bit too much of a "business" feel to it with the marines and helicopters and whatnot. Could be just the trailer... there's a bunch of civilian characters after all... but with Samuel Jackson being a marine I doubt the marines will just be secondary characters that don't dictate the feel of it.

Having helicopters and navy ships kinda ruins it, too. As soon as they discover what King Kong is, they could just fly too high for him to reach or park kilometers away and bombard him with missiles from helicopters, jets and boat cannons. The older era works better for this because you don't have those possibilities.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 July 2016 - 07:40 PM

Looks like Jurassic Park meets Predator....I dunno if that turns me off as much as it does you guys, but I agree it definitely seems like an incomplete angle on what a Kong movie should be.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:56 AM

I hope they make an even bigger wall with an equally sized bigger door in it.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:30 AM

A yes, the Trump doctrine.

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:55 PM

To the extent that a teaser trailer tells you anything, this looks really bad. Like really, really.

Jackson's take was atrocious (minus the t-rex fight), i do not think this will be much better. The fact that they want to use this to build towards a Kong v Godzilla flic isn't helping.

There is totally market demand for a run of 'giant monster' movies... the endless longing cries for PACIFIC RIM 2 ELECTRIC KAIJULOO proves that... but i'm sceptical that a giant ape remake can make bank on it.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:22 PM

I don't think the idea of Kong as a Apocalyps-Nowish (which some of the visuals here are definitely going for) war movie is an inherently bad one, but they look like they've badly misjudged it here.

Part of the problem is that to sell Kong as a credible threat to Godzilla in the crossover, they have to massively over-egg the concept of a giant gorilla and what he can do, and that's impressive, given it's not exactly a naturally understated idea.

Also, from the glimpses Kong himself looks a bit rubbish. The Jackson version had plenty of issues but at least the big ape (a) had character and (:D looked like a gorilla, and not a giant Muppet.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#8 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:24 PM

But if you think about it logically, the Godzilla trailer was fantastic, and the movie turned out to be mediocre. Here the trailer is bad, thus the movie is going to be great.

#9 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:44 PM

View PostKanyemander West, on 25 July 2016 - 08:24 PM, said:

But if you think about it logically, the Godzilla trailer was fantastic, and the movie turned out to be mediocre. Here the trailer is bad, thus the movie is going to be great.

Or it is so much worse that they don't even have enough footage for a brief trailer.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#10 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:03 PM

They scrapped the original plot once Harambe was murdered, and reshot the last two thirds of the movie as a sensitive tribute.

#11 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:39 AM

https://youtu.be/5DkAJag_6lU

I'm still going to go see it.

I like the way Kong looks like the original one; a monster rather than a large gorilla.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 17 November 2016 - 07:40 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#12 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:40 AM

This trailer looks much better than the first one. The first one made the film out to be a war against King Kong. Now the film looks more like Peter Jacksons King Kong, where the real antagonist is the island and the monsters that live there.

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:11 PM

View PostApt, on 17 November 2016 - 09:40 AM, said:

This trailer looks much better than the first one. The first one made the film out to be a war against King Kong. Now the film looks more like Peter Jacksons King Kong, where the real antagonist is the island and the leftover Jurassic Park and Starship Troopers creature effects they had lying around and used to save some money.

FTFY.

#14 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:14 PM

Knowing that they are purposely tying this to Gareth Edwards GODZILLA film, for an eventual monster team up flick....makes me like this trailer all the more.

Plus, this is kind of like that issue of PLANETARY where they find the carcasses of various giant monsters on a remote island.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#15 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:22 PM

Ohh, Planetary. I never did get around to reading that final issue or what ever it was supposed to be.

My favorite issue is the one where they intercept baby Kal-El's spacepod and murder him.

#16 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:34 PM

View PostApt, on 17 November 2016 - 01:22 PM, said:

Ohh, Planetary. I never did get around to reading that final issue or what ever it was supposed to be.

My favorite issue is the one where they intercept baby Kal-El's spacepod and murder him.

Warren Ellis: Screwing with existing comic mythos since the beginning. Gotta love it!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#17 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 18 November 2016 - 04:59 AM

This movie isn't going to be even close to PLANETARY's mad genius.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users