• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need help

#1 User is offline   Mercador 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Games, Fantasy & Scifi books

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:55 AM

I don't know if I should post this in the previous book or not, but please be gentle and keep me out of spoilers, thanks :sad:

I'm currently reading this one and I don't click on it. I'm about 100pages in and I don't get the thrill of the other fours. Maybe I need a break of Malazan ?

Please help :blink:

#2 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:25 AM

Yeah this is a common complaint regarding MT, had the same issue myself.

MT after all starts on a whole new continent, with an entirely different cast of characters. Its natural to feel a bit out of things.

But everything that is happening is very important. Stick with it, it gets better

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:29 AM

Keep reading. Trust me, this book is going to Malazan all over your ass before it's done.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:57 AM

No, you don't need a break. Just maybe some extra pages until you get hooked again. The book is great, it just needs a few more pages to introduce everyone and show the world this time. :blink:

#5 User is offline   Mercador 

• Sergeant

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:01 AM

Maybe I got my threshold of new characters :blink:

#6 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:25 PM

View PostMercador, on 21 July 2016 - 01:55 AM, said:

I don't know if I should post this in the previous book or not, but please be gentle and keep me out of spoilers, thanks :sad:

I'm currently reading this one and I don't click on it. I'm about 100pages in and I don't get the thrill of the other fours. Maybe I need a break of Malazan ?

Please help :blink:

Take your time, don't force it, and be patient. MT is an awkward transition but needed for the long term story, and if you stick it out long enough there is some comedy relief.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#7 User is offline   Felisin Fatter 

• Captain

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:51 PM

I remember getting pretty lost during MT as well, on my first read. I was going through the books slowly, and stalled there. I decided to reread the earlier books first before pushing on and that was a good idea. You could do that, it will be more fun than you'd expect.

#8 User is offline   Mercador 

• Sergeant

Posted 21 July 2016 - 10:04 PM

Well, I started the series for the third time last fall so it's not really an option (read the first one three time, second one two times). But for some reason, I don't click on this one. I'll continue nonetheless.

#9 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 July 2016 - 10:10 PM

Think of it as a story about several characters who must overcome the difficult situations they find themselves in, some self-caused and some caused by outside forces.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#10 User is offline   Mercador 

• Sergeant

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:28 PM

I know why I found it difficult, it's because it is set earlier in time, at the beggining of Trull Sengar (typo?), so it makes no sense for me. Though I know what will happens since we foresaw it at the beggining of the third or four one.

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:37 PM

View PostMercador, on 22 July 2016 - 05:28 PM, said:

I know why I found it difficult, it's because it is set earlier in time, at the beggining of Trull Sengar (typo?), so it makes no sense for me. Though I know what will happens since we foresaw it at the beggining of the third or four one.

Yep, but this way you'll see how Trull ended up where he was at the start of HoC.
And more re those Edur in MoI and HoC.
And other stuff.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:43 PM

View PostAbyss, on 22 July 2016 - 06:37 PM, said:

Yep, but this way you'll see how Trull ended up where he was at the start of HoC.
And more re those Edur in MoI and HoC.
And other stuff.

What my compatriot is aluding too is that Midnight tides probably one of the more important books as a set up book in the series. I would put it's importance right behind MOI and ahead of DG and GOM and perhaps even HOC. If you have read and liked the previous books in the series then trust SE and read on.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#13 User is offline   PLUGO 

• Lieutenant

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:47 PM

I know why I found it difficult, it's because it is set earlier in time, at the begining of Trull Sengar (typo?), so it makes no sense for me. Though I know what will happens since we foresaw it at the beginning of the third or four one.

I've found that I struggled with about the first third of most of the early books - GotM, DHG, HoC & MT. So worth getting through, even if it meant skipping ahead then returning with closer attention paid to those early parts.

#14 User is offline   Mercador 

• Sergeant

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:55 PM

I'm in chapter 5 now. I kept reading.

What I do understand so far is the fight between Edur and Andii at the beginning was written by the winners, so that's why Edur said that Andiis were the traitor but it wasn't. Maybe Bloodeye (?) was manipulated by the Crippled god or something. I wonder who are the 5 toblakai that are trying to be release of the death, I guess I'll see more ot it later.

Please keep in mind that I don't speak English so maybe for some of you, I'm missing a lot but I enjoy my reading nonetheless.

Thanks

#15 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:15 PM

View PostMercador, on 27 July 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

What I do understand so far is the fight between Edur and Andii at the beginning was written by the winners, so that's why Edur said that Andiis were the traitor but it wasn't. Maybe Bloodeye (?) was manipulated by the Crippled god or something. I wonder who are the 5 toblakai that are trying to be release of the death, I guess I'll see more ot it later.

Please keep in mind that I don't speak English so maybe for some of you, I'm missing a lot but I enjoy my reading nonetheless.

Thanks

The history was most definitely distorted.

As for the Toblakai RAFO

#16 User is offline   PLUGO 

• Lieutenant

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:30 PM

View PostAndorion, on 27 July 2016 - 01:15 PM, said:

View PostMercador, on 27 July 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

Thanks

The history was most definitely distorted.

As for the Toblakai RAFO

The relationship, characters and their societies have with their histories is probably one of the most fascinating aspects of this book in particular.

#17 User is offline   Mercador 

• Sergeant

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:06 PM

Annnnnd done. Wow, that one took me a while.. :|

Should I take a break ? I got Horus Heresy omnibooks (9 novels) during the summer, I would like to read those for a while, moreover they are in French so easier for me to enjoy :p

Or will I loose knowledge ? Though, books aren't connected that much so far...

#18 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:48 PM

The next one is connecting a lot of storylines so maybe it would be good to remember them :p

On the other hand I also had a break between Midnight Tides and The Bonehunters of three months and I had no problems. And you can always ask questions here

#19 User is offline   Mercador 

• Sergeant

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:29 PM

Yeah, will do. In fact, I plan to read only one of the Horus Heresy book as a break before jumping into Bonehunters. My main issue is that I can't read wikipedia because of spoilers.

#20 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:14 PM

The wiki is getting better. We are currently trying to make it spoilerproof. Okay. Egwene and ArchieVist are trying. I have enough to do with the german version. :p

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users