Malazan Empire: TRB Finishes Fall of Light - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TRB Finishes Fall of Light Thoughts (with spoilers)

#1 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:49 AM

I've just finished the book. I hope Abyss won't mind too much if I semi-borrow his thread style!

Obviously SPOILERS. MANY SPOILERS. Don't go down the post unless you've finished reading.

First off, I liked Fall more than Forge, which I thought was a brilliant book. I think the fact there is naturally a little less set up being the middle book of three, and the inspired addition of humour through the Thel Akai lift it above its predecessor. It was great to read the beginnings of the War on Death and see Hood's army form - I genuinely can't wait to see that play out.

Getting hints of how Shadow forms - including a first hint at Scara Bandaris' involvement - was brilliant. I loved the thread involving Yedan Narad and the Deniers. One of my favourite little moments was when Narad asks Glyph what the old word for "shore" is. He replies "Emurlahn." The glimpses into the Shake of the future, including characters with whom we are already familiar from tBotF was wonderfully done.

The progression of the Hust Legion story was really surprising and a great read. I particularly love the fractious and vengeful relationship between Toras Redone and Faror Hend towards the end. Dathenar and Prazeck are simply inspired writing, there's no other word for it. They're endlessly entertaining but also deliver some real punches to the audience.

We met Orfantal in the first book. This time, we meet Korlat, and see the reason for her assurance to Twilight "my blood is not pure". It's one of the most harrowing scenes in the book, and you can feel nothing but pity for Sandalath and some measure of understanding in why she so fiercely rejects her daughter. She is absolutely, thoroughly broken and she is difficult to read - as she should be.

I loved, absolutely loved the commentary on the nature of religion and those who create it which pervades the story lines surrounding Vatha Urusander, Syntara and the Liosan and equally and opposing of Mother Dark, Lanrear and those in the temple in Kharkanas. It's there throughout, but the final dialogue between Lanrear and Mother Dark really brings it home in a blaze of glory. Mother Dark refuses to give Lanrear a book of rules, and when she does go on to hold up basic decency, compassion and the avoidance of harming others as virtues, in the face of Lanrear proclaiming them finally having purpose MD chillingly responds "You didn't need me for those things." The concept of the gift of love being misunderstood and twisted plays out beautifully and provokes a good bit of thought.

The various comments SE has made about the language being a huge factor in the Kharkanas books is really evident throughout. Without wishing to rabidly fangirl (who am I kidding?) the man is just ludicrously talented with words.

All in all, it's brilliant. I genuinely can't wait to see how this all plays out and finishes in Walk in Shadow.

Anyway, some favourites:

FAVOURITE NEW CHARACTER: Sort of cheating, we meet Renarr in Forge, but she's fleshed out in a point of view here and I love it.

BEST APPEARANCE OF A CHARACTER FROM TBTOF: Telorast and Curdle. Good to know they've always been asshats. Brilliant, entertaining asshats.

FAVOURITE SCENE: Probably the ones involving those two.

FUNNIEST NOD BACK: No, I don't know Tehol the Only.

SCARIEST LINE: "Vatha Urusander, there will be justice" - "there will be justice" comes up several times, but when you read the book you'll know exactly which one I mean. Christ, and I thought the last scenes of Forge were chilling.

BIGGEST "I WANT TO KNOW MORE": More on the arrival of the "Grey Shore" of Shadow, and the hint that the ancient Tiste held the blood of Tiam within them. It suggests that possibly Anomander et al don't have to "acquire" the draconic blood, they maybe just have to "awaken" it.

SADDEST MOMENT: The description of Draconus through Kellaras' eyes when Silchas tells him he has to leave.

CANDIDATE FOR "DEAR SWEET MOTHER DARK WHY AREN'T YOU DEAD YET?": Hunn Raal.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 01 May 2016 - 11:03 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#2 User is offline   Cedz 

• Sergeant

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:36 PM

Spoiler

#3 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:45 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 01 May 2016 - 10:49 AM, said:

I've just finished the book. I hope Abyss won't mind too much if I semi-borrow his thread style!

Obviously SPOILERS. MANY SPOILERS. Don't go down the post unless you've finished reading.

First off, I liked Fall more than Forge, which I thought was a brilliant book. I think the fact there is naturally a little less set up being the middle book of three, and the inspired addition of humour through the Thel Akai lift it above its predecessor. It was great to read the beginnings of the War on Death and see Hood's army form - I genuinely can't wait to see that play out.

Getting hints of how Shadow forms - including a first hint at Scara Bandaris' involvement - was brilliant. I loved the thread involving Yedan Narad and the Deniers. One of my favourite little moments was when Narad asks Glyph what the old word for "shore" is. He replies "Emurlahn." The glimpses into the Shake of the future, including characters with whom we are already familiar from tBotF was wonderfully done.

The progression of the Hust Legion story was really surprising and a great read. I particularly love the fractious and vengeful relationship between Toras Redone and Faror Hend towards the end. Dathenar and Prazeck are simply inspired writing, there's no other word for it. They're endlessly entertaining but also deliver some real punches to the audience.

We met Orfantal in the first book. This time, we meet Korlat, and see the reason for her assurance to Twilight "my blood is not pure". It's one of the most harrowing scenes in the book, and you can feel nothing but pity for Sandalath and some measure of understanding in why she so fiercely rejects her daughter. She is absolutely, thoroughly broken and she is difficult to read - as she should be.

I loved, absolutely loved the commentary on the nature of religion and those who create it which pervades the story lines surrounding Vatha Urusander, Syntara and the Liosan and equally and opposing of Mother Dark, Lanrear and those in the temple in Kharkanas. It's there throughout, but the final dialogue between Lanrear and Mother Dark really brings it home in a blaze of glory. Mother Dark refuses to give Lanrear a book of rules, and when she does go on to hold up basic decency, compassion and the avoidance of harming others as virtues, in the face of Lanrear proclaiming them finally having purpose MD chillingly responds "You didn't need me for those things." The concept of the gift of love being misunderstood and twisted plays out beautifully and provokes a good bit of thought.

The various comments SE has made about the language being a huge factor in the Kharkanas books is really evident throughout. Without wishing to rabidly fangirl (who am I kidding?) the man is just ludicrously talented with words.

All in all, it's brilliant. I genuinely can't wait to see how this all plays out and finishes in Walk in Shadow.

Anyway, some favourites:

FAVOURITE NEW CHARACTER: Sort of cheating, we meet Renarr in Forge, but she's fleshed out in a point of view here and I love it.

BEST APPEARANCE OF A CHARACTER FROM TBTOF: Telorast and Curdle. Good to know they've always been asshats. Brilliant, entertaining asshats.

FAVOURITE SCENE: Probably the ones involving those two.

FUNNIEST NOD BACK: No, I don't know Tehol the Only.

SCARIEST LINE: "Vatha Urusander, there will be justice" - "there will be justice" comes up several times, but when you read the book you'll know exactly which one I mean. Christ, and I thought the last scenes of Forge were chilling.

BIGGEST "I WANT TO KNOW MORE": More on the arrival of the "Grey Shore" of Shadow, and the hint that the ancient Tiste held the blood of Tiam within them. It suggests that possibly Anomander et al don't have to "acquire" the draconic blood, they maybe just have to "awaken" it.

SADDEST MOMENT: The description of Draconus through Kellaras' eyes when Silchas tells him he has to leave.

I AGREE WITH SO MUCH YOU SAID. i think FoD was a much more straightforward book kinda set the stage in laymans terms, i read FoL really quickly cause revising for exams at the same time so it definitely requires a re read as parts of it flew straight over my head but anyway
Spoiler

#4 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:29 AM

View PostThe Hust Legion, on 02 May 2016 - 01:45 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

View PostThe Hust Legion, on 02 May 2016 - 01:45 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#5 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:44 AM

Spoiler

#6 User is offline   BionicBarry 

• Recruit

Posted 02 May 2016 - 04:45 PM

Spoiler

#7 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:02 AM

View PostBionicBarry, on 02 May 2016 - 04:45 PM, said:

Spoiler

My bad, I'd just put the book down when I wrote the first post, probably plenty I forgot - I loved the conversation you mention though!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#8 User is offline   Adaephon Ben Delat 

• Recruit

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:54 PM

Telorast and Curdle continue to be awesome here (reminding me of pain and panic in the Hercules animation). I was surprised they were female dragons though. I'd always had this mental picture of two mischievous guys. Darthenar and Prazek (sp?) remind me of Gesler and Stormy with the way they could turn a tense situation (the issuing out of the hust weapons) with their carefree attitudes making others relax in the process
when you argue with death, you always lose

#9 User is offline   ChunkyBenjamin 

• Recruit
  • View gallery

Posted 04 June 2016 - 04:18 AM

Just finished it last night. I have to admit it was a tough one to work through. A little too verbose, with not very many gratification moments in the plot. I think it is a good book though. Forge of darkness was just soo "refreshing", my expectations were a little too high.

#10 User is offline   Adulation 

• Recruit

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:05 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 01 May 2016 - 10:49 AM, said:

I find it amusing how well SE developed Hunn Raal. It is my firm belief that Hunn Raal is a good antagonist. He's very well acquainted with magical power and he's also hiding his true intentions which makes him all the more dangerous. He reminds me of Leoman of the Flails, Hunn uses alcohol, Leoman used durhang (if I remember corectly) to conceal their true purpose and display a friendly nature. He's not merely a way to progress the story, he's the behind-the-curtain Father Light in my opinion. Syntara is nothing compared to him.
Now don't get me wrong, of course I loathe him as well but I don't see him dying to someone like Anomander or Silchas. He'll continue to be a nuissance and maybe SE will just leave his life a mystery (just like the Errant in mbotf). I just don't see him falling easily, especially now that Vatha is dead. Also about that, is Vatha going to Ascend or something like that? I find an unlikely coincidence that MD's words were "There will be justice" just like Renarr's.

#11 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:22 PM

I think he will die or be disposed of eternally in some other manner. He's not around anymore in Malazan. True, there's plenty of time to die in the meantime, but this is a story and Hunn Raal's fate is a crucial element of the plot for the whole trilogy. I doubt Erikson will just leave it unanswered. And because of chronology, the answer probably isn't going to be fun for Huun Raal :p Also, the schemers and villains rarely get their way in Shakespeare's work, and SE makes a very concious effort to make the trilogy Shakespearean.

#12 User is offline   KruppeFanBoy 

• Recruit

Posted 27 December 2019 - 12:38 AM

I registered for this site simply to compliment you on your post, TRB. Really well written. I’m too busy right at this moment to add much of substance, but I think that it is helpful to raise a toast to those, like you, who provide thoughtful content to other fans of SE’s work. Without such content, I wouldn’t enjoy Malazan books anywhere near as much as I do. I have read all of Proust and plan to read it in French before I die, I am reading ULYSSES, I laugh at those who can’t keep the Russian names in WAR AND PEACE straight — and yet SE’s work sometimes confounds and confuses me (even as it hugely entertains). So... thanks again, TRB!

This post has been edited by KruppeFanBoy: 27 December 2019 - 12:46 AM

#13 User is offline   KruppeFanBoy 

• Recruit

Posted 27 December 2019 - 12:45 AM

My last comment was NOT a boast. It was more in the spirit of “Ya think Marcel Proust and James Joyce created great but challenging literature...?” (And I am NOT making claims about SE vs. such titans, other than the demands he places upon his readers. I think that he himself would be horrified at ANY such comparisons.)

#14 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:20 AM

View PostKruppeFanBoy, on 27 December 2019 - 12:38 AM, said:

I registered for this site simply to compliment you on your post, TRB. Really well written. I'm too busy right at this moment to add much of substance, but I think that it is helpful to raise a toast to those, like you, who provide thoughtful content to other fans of SE's work. Without such content, I wouldn't enjoy Malazan books anywhere near as much as I do. I have read all of Proust and plan to read it in French before I die, I am reading ULYSSES, I laugh at those who can't keep the Russian names in WAR AND PEACE straight — and yet SE's work sometimes confounds and confuses me (even as it hugely entertains). So... thanks again, TRB!

Only just seen this - thank you! :)
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users