Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

D'riss?

#1 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:40 PM

Are D'riss and D'rek the same? I just noticed that the Wiki currently lists the two as separate entities with no cross-reference made however, a conversation between Baruk and Rake seems to indicate that they are the same (GotM Chapter 17).

Also, Mammot is several times described as High Priest of D'riss (Gardens of the Moon - Dramatis Personae and Chapter 22, UK MMPB p.649) however, upon first seeing him, Baruk tells Rake that Mammot is a High Priest of D'rek. (GotM Chapter 17) I can't see that it would be a typo as the German edition also lists both names?

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:48 PM

D'riss is a warren, not a person. That seems like a typo.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Kellanved's shadow 

• The blade in the shadow
  • Interests:being king of high house shadow
    ordering Cotillion
    ordering the Hounds
    commanding shadows (oh wait I am a shadow)

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:42 AM

D'riss is a Warren also known as the path of stone. D'rek is a goddess also known as "The Worm of Autumn".
"I walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?"
"Yes" said Brood , "you never learn".

#4 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:22 AM

So could one say that D'riss is the Warren of/controlled by D'rek? Coincidentally - the word 'Dreck' in German means dirt... one could say earth - not so far off stone...

This post has been edited by Egwene: 12 February 2016 - 09:22 AM

#5 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:44 AM

Drek in Dutch has the same meaning, sludge or (moist) dirt.

I don't think you can say that D'riss is the Warren controlled by D'rek. If anything, it would be related to Burn. Although it is very hazy where the boundaries between Warrens/Elder Holds/blood or elder magic cross. It may be that priests of D'rek can use D'riss for certain purposes, but that doesn't mean that the Warren is 'linked' to D'rek. If anything, Gods/Ascendents are aligned with or liaised to a certain magic flavour/Warren/Hold, not the other way around. I don't believe Warrens work that way, they aren't 'linked' to any Gods, just to a certain flavour of elder magic. The most you could claim is that they are linked to a certain Eleint. Some are mapped directly onto Holds, others represent a fragment or partial aspect of an elder Hold or their effects straddle two or even three different Holds. I would streer away from making direct mappings like this.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 12 February 2016 - 10:05 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6 User is offline   Kellanved's shadow 

• The blade in the shadow
  • Interests:being king of high house shadow
    ordering Cotillion
    ordering the Hounds
    commanding shadows (oh wait I am a shadow)

Posted 13 February 2016 - 06:41 AM

View PostEgwene, on 12 February 2016 - 09:22 AM, said:

So could one say that D'riss is the Warren of/controlled by D'rek? Coincidentally - the word 'Dreck' in German means dirt... one could say earth - not so far off stone...

If anything it seems that D'riss is more aspected to the Goddess Triss. If you have read RotCG you see this connection. Don't know why the Queen of Dreams is related to stone but that's just the way it goes.
"I walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?"
"Yes" said Brood , "you never learn".

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:40 AM

Haven't you seen Cheech & Chong's Nice Dreams? They get hella stoned in that.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users