Malazan Empire: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them New Harry Potter universe film (series?)

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:04 PM

This post has been edited by Apt: 15 December 2015 - 01:47 PM

#2 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:32 PM

Wonder if they will put in a Lethifold. My favourite monster from the book

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:49 PM

I am wondering where the story will actually go. Will it become very dark or will the film be lighthearted? Going by the plot it sounds almost like a terrorist/killer hunt.

What kinds of beasts will there be and what/who is the antagonist? Is one of the beasts dangerous? Is there somebody who orchestrated the release?

#4 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:27 PM

View PostApt, on 15 December 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

I am wondering where the story will actually go. Will it become very dark or will the film be lighthearted? Going by the plot it sounds almost like a terrorist/killer hunt.

What kinds of beasts will there be and what/who is the antagonist? Is one of the beasts dangerous? Is there somebody who orchestrated the release?

Magic suitcase => bunch of killer and humourous animals on the loose - Lighthearted catch them all before the muggles notic type film? Maybe.

More likely? Starts of as a catch them all, but the chaos caused by the release is cover for a nefarious plot involving one of the more valuable/dangerous creatures.

#5 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:53 PM

Knowing that it's JK herself who wrote it, it will have both lighthearted stuff and darker stuff. I have a feeling we might see the beginning of the whole Mudblood/Pureblood divide...as it sounds like it began long before Potter and Co. encountered it. JK will have darker aspects in there. I'll be curious who the villain(s) will be. It won't be someone or something like Voldemort. She'll have come up with something new.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:22 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 December 2015 - 02:53 PM, said:

I have a feeling we might see the beginning of the whole Mudblood/Pureblood divide...

I doubt it: I'm pretty sure that's meant to be a deep historical thing, not just a 20th century one.

I do like the idea of finding out about American magical society. Both the book this is 'based on' and the Quidditch one had hints, but this should go more into it.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#7 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:32 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 15 December 2015 - 06:22 PM, said:

I have a feeling we might see the beginning of the whole Mudblood/Pureblood divide...

I doubt it: I'm pretty sure that's meant to be a deep historical thing, not just a 20th century one.

I do like the idea of finding out about American magical society. Both the book this is 'based on' and the Quidditch one had hints, but this should go more into it.

I'm not sure but I would guess that the Eagle logo in that teaser behind the women with the headress I'm guessing is the American Ministry of Magic logo? COOL!

And I think JK mentioned that Native American beliefs would figure heavily in the early American wizarding community, and the creation of the magical offices and schools.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 15 December 2015 - 06:33 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:27 PM

The earliest mentions of the divide are from the time the 4 guys founded Hogwarts and Salazar refused to teach any one born to muggle parents, so that is around 2 000 years ago.

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:34 PM

View PostEsa1996, on 15 December 2015 - 08:27 PM, said:

The earliest mentions of the divide are from the time the 4 guys founded Hogwarts and Salazar refused to teach any one born to muggle parents, so that is around 2 000 years ago.

I wasn't referring to the earlier disputes about it or the genesis of it from the Founders. I meant a more modern civil rights type deal. "No Muggles" in a certain speakeasy in NYC, you know? As opposed to the Malfoy's entrenched familial racism that exhibits itself in personal opinions, rather than Magical Laws that might reflect it in the 20's?

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:58 PM

In other news.... Hermione's Black. Also, on theatre stage.

http://io9.gizmodo.c...-gra-1749004722
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#11 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:32 PM

This looks sort of fascinating. Interesting when stories transcend their media in this way.

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:31 PM

View PostApt, on 21 December 2015 - 08:32 PM, said:

This looks sort of fascinating. Interesting when stories transcend their media in this way.

Agreed, tho on some level i suspect this was JKR's way of writing another HP without actually writing one, because you know, know, that there is going to be a movie of this at some point, along with an adaptation she'll probably write or ghostwrite herself. So she gets to add the theatre to her list of achievements and all the usual executive get their christmas advance bonuses.

I don't begrudge her an ounce of success, but the Harry Potter movie-merchandise-industrial complex isn't stupid.

...best example being that they weren't stupid enuf to attempt to stop the Black actress thing, which would have been a disaster if it happened and became public.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#13 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:43 AM

AFAIK Rowling left Hermione's race off the page deliberately for just such an occasion. I don't see anything cynical about it. Though I do agree she's been remarkably savvy with HP as a property and doesn't begrudge letting it open up doors for her.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#14 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:52 PM

I saw one person suspiciously eager to bring up a line about 'Hermione's white face appeared from around a corner' but in context it's in an action scene and could easily be a shocked/scared face, so decide for yourselves

It's not Hunger Games' Rue, explicitly black character played by black actress and being a surprise to racist idiots everywhere though
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#15 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:53 PM

I think there's no doubt that Hermione in the books is supposed to be white, but at the same time it's not important at all or inherent to her character that she is so who gives a shit.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#16 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:43 PM

So it looks like POTTERMORE will be updating the site with a bunch of new stories by JK that tell the history of American Magic, and especially Ilvermorny, the American Wizarding School.

Here's the link with a little explanation video.

http://comicbook.com...-on-pottermore/

Really cool looking stuff. But then any nugget of new story about her HP universe that we get is interesting for me.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 07 March 2016 - 02:43 PM

#17 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:25 AM

New trailer came out.

Lots of new information in here. I hadn't realized this was taking place in the past in what appears to be the 20s or 30s.

Or is it? If Dumbledore was at Hogwartz as a teacher... how long ago can it be? Dumbledore didn't use the philosophers stone did he?

Is it perhaps just a matter of in the Potter universe New York still looks like it did a hundred years ago?

It's interesting that this doesn't seem to be a children's or YA movie. At least not directlty. The protagonist is young but he is an adult. So are all the other characters in the trailer. The whole vibe of the film seems to be part period piece, part film noir. There's that Potter universe atmosphere but it also seems darker.

I am surprised they aren't pandering more directly to kids but, logically, the kids who worshipped Potter a decade ago are all older now.

#18 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:23 PM

View PostApt, on 11 April 2016 - 10:25 AM, said:

New trailer came out.

Lots of new information in here. I hadn't realized this was taking place in the past in what appears to be the 20s or 30s.

Or is it? If Dumbledore was at Hogwartz as a teacher... how long ago can it be? Dumbledore didn't use the philosophers stone did he?

Is it perhaps just a matter of in the Potter universe New York still looks like it did a hundred years ago?

It's interesting that this doesn't seem to be a children's or YA movie. At least not directlty. The protagonist is young but he is an adult. So are all the other characters in the trailer. The whole vibe of the film seems to be part period piece, part film noir. There's that Potter universe atmosphere but it also seems darker.

I am surprised they aren't pandering more directly to kids but, logically, the kids who worshipped Potter a decade ago are all older now.

It is the past, 1920's (this was made clear in the initial info about it) SIDEBAR: lead character Newt Scamander is the grandfather of the man who marries Luna Lovegood in Harry's era. Dumbledore is indeed a young teacher at this point. This would be RIGHT before or right around the birth of Tom Riddle (Voldy)...and when Tom is about 10 Dumbledore visits him in the orphanage (Half-Blood Prince flashback), so we are probably looking at a Dumbledore in his 20's in this one.

I will say that I LOVE the fact that the HP theme is woven into the music here. I don't want it to be loudly present in this series of films, but I want to to be lightly touched as a quiet audio reminder of what universe this is.

Anyways, I think the flick looks (to steal their word) fantastic! But then I'm a die-hard Potterhead, so that's like shooting fish in a barrel.

#19 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:59 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 April 2016 - 12:23 PM, said:

New trailer came out.

It is the past, 1920's (this was made clear in the initial info about it) SIDEBAR: lead character Newt Scamander is the grandfather of the man who marries Luna Lovegood in Harry's era. Dumbledore is indeed a young teacher at this point. This would be RIGHT before or right around the birth of Tom Riddle (Voldy)...and when Tom is about 10 Dumbledore visits him in the orphanage (Half-Blood Prince flashback), so we are probably looking at a Dumbledore in his 20's in this one.

I will say that I LOVE the fact that the HP theme is woven into the music here. I don't want it to be loudly present in this series of films, but I want to to be lightly touched as a quiet audio reminder of what universe this is.

Anyways, I think the flick looks (to steal their word) fantastic! But then I'm a die-hard Potterhead, so that's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Harry is born in 1980, this right? This set in the 1920's then Dumbledore would be what, 80ish?
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#20 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:04 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 11 April 2016 - 12:59 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 April 2016 - 12:23 PM, said:

New trailer came out.

Harry is born in 1980, this right? This set in the 1920's then Dumbledore would be what, 80ish?

Googled this: Dumbledore was born in 1881 as it turns out. So he's 100 when things go down with Harry, and that means he's in his 40's in this movie.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users