Malazan Empire: The Big "Album of 2015" Thread! - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Big "Album of 2015" Thread! Yup, that time of year again...

#1 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:05 PM

Greetings! Every year I like to write a list of my favourite albums of the year and invite others to share theirs. Here are mine in no real order:

Waken Eyes - Exodus
Quite a latecomer as it was only released at the end of October, but my word it's a good 'un. At times dancing the lines between prog metal and power metal but always providing good musicianship, soaring vocals and of course the obligatory epic track (19 minutes long, glory!) It's an album about standing up against fear, fighting it and about hope. An album with a message that transcends politics and religion and will speak to a young generation of metal fans. Not too heavy that would put off those on the edge of heavy metal either! I really like it and it has been pretty much on repeat for the past month.
Standout tracks: Defening Thoughts, Exodus

Kamasi Washington - The Epic
Some would call it a bold or perhaps arrogant move to call a debut album "The Epic" yet saxophponist Kamasi Washington has made a masterpiece that lives up to it's name in multiple ways. First, the length. It is 3 discs long, weighing in at 173 minutes long. Secondly, while it is undoubtedly a jazz album, it incorporates a vast swathe of styles, conventions, instruments, musicians and singers/vocalists. It truly does feel epic! It is not one for the faint hearted but it is definitely worth it if you put the time in - there will be something on there to suit everyone!
Standout tracks: Seriously just listen to the whole thing!

VOLA - Inmazes
I chanced upon this Danish band through a promoted post on Facebook, drawn by the fact that you can download their album legally for free on their Bandcamp and that they were being lauded as a "new sound in prog metal". I was initially sceptical of such a claim (every new artist is a new sound of something these days...) but after only 1 listen I was hooked. The sound, upon starting the album, is somewhat djenty but it soon departs from the generic djent style and with the soft vocals and atmospheric overtones, creates a fantastic blend of heavy and soft, dark and light, furious and emotional.
Standout Tracks Inmazes - click on the Bandcamp link to hear the whole thing but the title track is my favourite.

Leprous - The Congregation
Leprous' previous album "Coal" is one of my favourite albums. Like, ever. Their unique progressive sound cannot be found anywhere else (at least I haven't found anything quite like them) and their vocalist, Einar Solberg (yup, Norwegian band if you were wondering...) is, in my opinion, the best vocalist out there (with the dude from Soen a close second). So I was pretty excited for this years effort. And it is good! It took me a long time to get into it (pesky unfair comparisons to "Coal") but once I got right into it, I was pretty blown over. It is not an easy album to listen to, especially if you aren't aware of their style, but it is just an astonishing musical accomplishment. It's kind of hard to describe so I'll just tell you that I love it and you should give them a go!
Standout Tracks: Differs every time I listen to it! Website - Forum won't let me post that many media links...

THE "DIDN'T QUITE MAKE IT" CUT
Enslaved: In Times Perhaps it is due to their previous album, RIITIIR being that good, but it just feels a bit half-hearted. No real passion or drive in this one. Sure, it's Enslaved, so it's good but there's nothing that really matches up to the ferocity and tone of RIITIIR. "Thousand Years of Rain is the best track.
Soen: Tellurian Again, much anticipated, but didn't quite deliver up to standard. I perhaps need to listen to it more often but it didn't inspire and excite me like their debut did.

THE "NOT FROM THIS YEAR BUT I ONLY DISCOVERED THEM THIS YEAR AND OH MY DAYS THEY ARE FLIPPING IMMENSE" AWARD
Persefone: Spiritual Migration Obsession is dangerous. Addiction is not good. Constant repetition can be a drag on the ears and the soul. I know all this, but why can I not stop listening to this utter masterpiece by the progressive death metal band from (of all places) Andorra? I have also listened to their previous albums but this one clicks with me on just about every level. I figure they are probably due a new album as this came out in 2013 and I look forward to it (if they are actually making one!) Probably has my all time favourite instrumentals on it too. Do yourself a favour and get this album!

THE "MOST LIKELY TO APPEAR ON THIS LIST IN A YEARS TIME
H4ken - The as-yet-unnamed 4th album from the stupendous epic prog metallers from Britain. I love every single thing Haken have done so I am very excited about it.

EDITED For formatting.

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 30 November 2015 - 04:09 PM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:51 AM

The big one for me this year has been SikTh's mini-album 'Opacities'. If you know and enjoy SikTh even a little, you'll love this. Big, low-end rumbling riffs juxtaposed with high widdles, odd time signatures, polyrhythmic drumming and their trademarked weird as fuck vocals. Four neck-snapping tracks, one deranged spoken word and one softer ballad type song gives us 30 minutes of excellence.

Coming in a very narrow second is Soilwork's 'The Ride Majestic'. It's just... well, great. Dual lead harmonies, big vocals, big choruses, and Dirk Verbeuren. I can't say much else, really.

Other mentions for this year:

The Black Dahlia Murder - Abysmal. If you know Black Dahlia, you know what you're in for - melodic death metal with a ton of fast drumming, sweeping riffs and epic solos, all underpinned with the shirtless growl of Strnad.

Thy Art is Murder - HEWLEIGH WUUUUUURGH. I don't usually do deathcore, but this impressed me. It's definitely a bad mood album, and effectively an exercise in pure aggression. The lyrics can get a bit narmy in the sense that it's the typical 'religion bad' and 'hail santa' that metal loves but the music makes up for it.

The Agonist - Eye of Providence. Excellent album, seems they've become a lot more aggressive with Vicky Psarakis on vocals. Caught them live as well, which was awesome (only about 30 of us there and all).

Voices From the Fuselage - Odyssey: The Destroyer of Worlds. Different to what I normally have as it's very much melodic post-metal in a TesseracT vein (but without the proggy time signatures). Ashe O'Hara is on very good form here.

Honourable mentions:

Crossfaith - Xeno
Sylosis: Dormant Heart
Lamb of God: VII: Sturm und Drang
TesseracT: Polaris

This post has been edited by Maark: 07 December 2015 - 08:51 AM

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#3 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:14 PM

Clutch's Psychic Warfare blew me away this year. I think there is 1 song that is a 3/5, the rest are 4s and 5s. I also really like Witchskull's The Vast Electric Dark album. On the surface it seems like they are following the standard riff template, but then there's an extra hook or solo that really distinguishes each song.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#4 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:06 PM

#1 (without a doubt) is VERUCA SALT's original line-up reunion album GHOST NOTES. It is utterly spectacular from start to finish. These girls can still rock the house.

#2 HALSEY - BADLANDS - Had never even heard of Halsey before this. But if you are looking for the love child of Florence & The Machine and Ellie Goulding, this right here is her. Indie enough to be quirky, but mainstream enough to not be hipster nonsense. It helps that every track on this disc is infinitely listenable.

#3 NERO - BETWEEN II WORLDS - First album was damned stellar for what is effectively pop-sung liquid dubstep with a heavyness to it. The second album grabs that ball and runs with it. Just a great listen.

#4 KAMELOT - HAVEN - When this band had its old lead singer, the trajectory seemed to be "typical" in a bland way. Ever since they added Tommmy Karevik, they have experimented and become something altogether amazing. HAVEN is the culmination of the new band
dynamic with Tommy leading and as a result it's fantastic.

#5 ARMIN VAN BUUREN - A STATE OF TRANCE AT USHUAÏA, IBIZA 2015 - I'm always in for Van Buuren's particular brand of arena trance (I find he's much less pretentious than most other acts of this caliber). This particular double album mix is probably the most phenomenal ASOT that's ever been released.

The Singles of 2015

#1 CHARLY BLISS - LOVE ME (opened for VERUCA SALT, and absolutely killed it)

#2 THE CHAINSMOKERS - ROSES (feat. ROZES)

#3 FORT MINOR - WELCOME (never stopped loving Mike Shinoda's side project, glad it's coming back and this single is fantastic)

#4 HALESTORM - AMEN

#5 ADELE - HELLO
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:17 PM

Ryan Bingham's Fear and Saturday Night.

Turnpike Troubadours new self titled album

http://www.rollingst...n-here-20150707

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 07 December 2015 - 03:17 PM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#6 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:38 PM

Maark I love SikTh but for whatever reason haven't got round to listening to Opacities yet. Glad to hear it's a good'Un.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:41 PM

I didn't listen to that much new stuff in 2015, but my favorite album by far was Bully - Feels Like. It's pretty straightforward indie guitar rock by way of the Pixies & Nirvana, but every song on the album is ace and the singer has one of my favorite new voices. Her ability to transition from lovely croon to rough howl is wonderful.

I also really liked Hop Along's album Painted Shut. This one's a little more varied, with indie rock, pop, and folk elements. Plus the singer kinda sounds like Tommy Pickles. That's a plus in my book.

Others:
Purity Ring - Another Eternity
Kinda more of the same as their first album, but I liked it plenty both times!

Cavanaugh - Time & Materials
Hip hop collabo from Open Mike Eagle and Serengeti. Concept album about two workers in a highrise apartment with a modern urban Upstairs, Downstairs vibe.

Uhhh, I liked the new Grimes album a lot more than I expected. I guess that's the big release of the year I could put on my list, though I wouldn't say I loved it. I liked the Ryan Adams version of 1989 too.

Individual songs/singles:
Charly Bliss - Love Me (thanks QT!)
Adventures - Tension
Kacey Musgraves - Die Fun
Radical Dads - In the Water

Again, I don't think any of the major pop singles grabbed me this year. I do not understand Adele whatsoever. Hotline Bling was catchy but Drake's a lame-o. Didn't listen to Fetty Wap. Wasn't into "Cool for Summer". Am I missing something obvious?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:39 AM

Haven't really listened to anything very knew, but the Adele and Iron Maiden albums were great also the second album of Of Monsters and Men. I love that group.

#9 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:40 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 December 2015 - 03:06 PM, said:

#1 (without a doubt) is VERUCA SALT's original line-up reunion album GHOST NOTES. It is utterly spectacular from start to finish. These girls can still rock the house.

#2 HALSEY - BADLANDS - Had never even heard of Halsey before this. But if you are looking for the love child of Florence & The Machine and Ellie Goulding, this right here is her. Indie enough to be quirky, but mainstream enough to not be hipster nonsense. It helps that every track on this disc is infinitely listenable.

#3 NERO - BETWEEN II WORLDS - First album was damned stellar for what is effectively pop-sung liquid dubstep with a heavyness to it. The second album grabs that ball and runs with it. Just a great listen.

#4 KAMELOT - HAVEN - When this band had its old lead singer, the trajectory seemed to be "typical" in a bland way. Ever since they added Tommmy Karevik, they have experimented and become something altogether amazing. HAVEN is the culmination of the new band
dynamic with Tommy leading and as a result it's fantastic.

#5 ARMIN VAN BUUREN - A STATE OF TRANCE AT USHUAÏA, IBIZA 2015 - I'm always in for Van Buuren's particular brand of arena trance (I find he's much less pretentious than most other acts of this caliber). This particular double album mix is probably the most phenomenal ASOT that's ever been released.

The Singles of 2015

#1 CHARLY BLISS - LOVE ME (opened for VERUCA SALT, and absolutely killed it)

#2 THE CHAINSMOKERS - ROSES (feat. ROZES)

#3 FORT MINOR - WELCOME (never stopped loving Mike Shinoda's side project, glad it's coming back and this single is fantastic)

#4 HALESTORM - AMEN

#5 ADELE - HELLO

That Halsey song is really good!

#10 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:14 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 07 December 2015 - 09:38 PM, said:

Maark I love SikTh but for whatever reason haven't got round to listening to Opacities yet. Glad to hear it's a good'Un.

Rectify this right now.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users