• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Thousand Names Anyone read it

#1 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:50 AM

The Thousand Names

Anyone read it? I had a copy and decided to give it a go. Maybe I was in a bit of a bad mood but I am ten percent in and already thinking of dropping the book. I normally stick out most books but this one is really bugging me. Seems so cliche. The female soldier who is pretending to be a man. The noble officers are all incompetent etc. Anyone have any advice?

#2 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:05 AM

wrong forum :(

Stick with it, I'd say, it pulls away from the cliches a bit, (and embraces some further) but the writings pretty solid and the story did suck me in once it got going.

#3 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:08 AM

Yeah sorry I just realized that when I could not find it in the other literature section.

Cool Ill give it some more time

#4 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:33 AM

Read all the books in the series, really love them. They improve as they go along.

#5 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:37 AM

I read it and finished it but wasn't that impressed. I found the Marcus sections, in particular, so bland and boring that they became a real trial of patience for me. I didn't find the battle scenes particularly well-handled, either - I felt they lacked tension and peril. I haven't bothered reading the other books.

#6 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:57 PM

Love it. Second and third books are much better than the first, and I liked the first.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#7 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:40 PM

I'm gonna have to read the second and third if they're as much as an improvement as y'all are saying- because the first was quite well written, but lacking something in the tension department. Not bad, but unremarkable.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#8 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:16 PM

Well, the first book is just Napoleon in Egypt with a little magic thrown in.

New characters and certainly more tension in the next two.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#9 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:51 PM

Only got through about 60-70 names and quit. Stullard Quintles? WTH kind of name is that?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#10 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, MMA, and being a father.

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:49 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 25 November 2015 - 09:40 PM, said:

I'm gonna have to read the second and third if they're as much as an improvement as y'all are saying- because the first was quite well written, but lacking something in the tension department. Not bad, but unremarkable.

Seconding this. I listened to the first one and didn't feel the need to continue. I may, though, if they do get better.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo"Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett, Eric
"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

#11 User is offline   Dragnipurake 

• Captain

Posted 27 November 2015 - 01:27 AM

It was a little hard getting into but I really enjoyed book 1. So much so that I bought the hardbound edition of book 1 and preordered book 2. After reading book 2, I have decided to not buy hard copies of the series, and regretted spending the money on book 2. The main character (the female soldier masquerading as a man) is pretty interesting but the emphasis on the sexual orientation was off putting. I hate it when authors overdo something just to go off the beaten path. The other main character who is mostly described from afar (like Rake in MBOTF) is interesting, and books 2 and 3 have other newer characters that make up for the shit show that the main character's story line becomes.

#12 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 November 2015 - 02:41 PM

The end was pretty good, will probably have to buy the next one to see what happens
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users