• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Last Kingdom

#1 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:27 PM

This deserves its own thread.

I know not everyone's watching this at the moment, but I just watched the second episode, and they have totally nailed it so far imo.

It's been a while since I read the series, which means I'm not constantly comparing it, but some scenes, like Uhtred's first meeting with Alfred, played out just as I remember.. often line for line. The casting for Alfred is spot on; he gives that initial impression as a weak chinned, god fearing second-in-line - an impression quickly revised when he reveals his knowledge about the Danes, strategy, and his spy network.

I won't go into more right now, but I'm loving the genuine, well realised characters and the convincing sets and costumes. It looks real, not like a bunch of actors in wardrobe fresh 'shabby' clothes with random mud smudge makeup on their faces just because it's set in 'the past.'

It's actually just a very good conversion of a Cornwell novel to the screen. It's a plus having not read them for a while, as I honestly can't remember what happens to some of the characters in the later books.

Well worth watching when you get a chance.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 29 October 2015 - 10:31 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#2 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 October 2015 - 07:07 AM

Agree with all of the above, I'm pleasantly surprised just how good it is. I'm loving the fact that all the Danish characters speak with different stresses to the English ones so you can tell them apart instantly - it's subtle but it's a lovely touch.

Also, violence done properly. Take heed HBO - it's much more effective when you're subtle and everyone isn't covered in tomato juice.

Alfred as you say is completely perfect casting.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 30 October 2015 - 07:08 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#3 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 October 2015 - 07:09 AM

Haven't caught it yet, intending to catch up on sunday

#4 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 30 October 2015 - 02:06 PM

View PostTraveller, on 29 October 2015 - 10:27 PM, said:

It's been a while since I read the series, which means I'm not constantly comparing it, but some scenes, like Uhtred's first meeting with Alfred, played out just as I remember.. often line for line.

It's about three years since I read the first book, but I thought the bit in episode 2 where

Spoiler

Loving this series so far.

#5 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 30 October 2015 - 04:16 PM

View PostSerenity, on 30 October 2015 - 02:06 PM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 29 October 2015 - 10:27 PM, said:

It's been a while since I read the series, which means I'm not constantly comparing it, but some scenes, like Uhtred's first meeting with Alfred, played out just as I remember.. often line for line.

It's about three years since I read the first book, but I thought the bit in episode 2 where

Spoiler

Loving this series so far.

That made me smile too. As did Brida and
Spoiler

Uhtred and Brida seem really genuine together, they shared some good scenes this ep.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 30 October 2015 - 04:17 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#6 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:35 PM

I've enjoyed what I've seen so far, but I prefer Vikings. I can't get over how terrible the armour looks, it's like fucking cheap LARP gear.

#7 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:07 PM

I'm enjoying the show too. I thought they really nailed Uhtred's frustrations about being trapped by Alfred this last episode.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#8 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:35 PM

We just watched the first episode tonight. My wife is already saying "The Vikings are way better than the English!" Good... good... give into the Viking love...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#9 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:38 PM

The did a great job with the grovelling scene. I remember feeling so frustrated for Uhtred and then laughing at Aethelwold.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#10 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:59 PM

Just got to the grovellong episode. Agreed, that was wonderfully done!

Also Ubba. Just wow.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#11 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:26 AM

Yeah, fantastic episode. Loved all the stuff with Ubba - the fight scene was brilliant. Dawson is doing a really good job as Alfred, too. Loved the final 'That's justice' scene. I wish Uhtred would start calling his sword 'Serpent Breath' :(

I'm guessing that we won't get to see Finan unless they make another season. Shame, cos he's my favourite character in the novels.

#12 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:56 PM

Oh man, caught up. 1) I really hate Young Odda. 2) I love Uhtred as much as I did reading it. 3) The guy playing Alfred is nailing it. 4)Grovelling is ace. 5) I felt my ankles twinge when that fight scene happened...

Seriously loving this show!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#13 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:12 PM

Finally have this season to watch, and have seen 2 eps so far.

It's pretty damned good so far. We are quite enjoying! I have a few nitpicks but they are exceedingly minor.

Nitpickery:

- Uhtred should be blonde (hair the colour of yellow piss).
- His childhood and young adult years under Ragnar-elder last for a huge chunk of the first book, but here it's kind of glossed over. I can see WHY they did that...but it still felt a bit jarring.
- Ubba is cast well (though wasn't he dark haired, and Ivar the Boneless was fair-haired?) as he looks the part shape-wise...but is there a reason that Ivar has been left entirely out of the show? Part of what was so badass about the first book was Uhtred taking on not only Ubba but his brother as well.
Bonus Points: Knowing that Ubba (and Ivar, were he present like he is in the books) are the youngest children of Ragnar Lothbrokson from VIKINGS, the ones birthed to him by Aslaug.
- I'm not sold on the actress playing Brida...something bugs me about her. Not sure what. Also, Brida is meant to be Welsh...so having an Austrian actress play her with her natural accent is a tad jarring.

Otherwise, I'm loving the show...and it's nice to have a Cornwell show on the air again after so long since the last Sharpe film.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 04 December 2015 - 08:13 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#14 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:41 PM

Currently on episode 7 (the latest one) it is seriously good. Seeing their raids into Cornwall & meeting Skorpa (or whatever his name is) was flipping ace.

I hate Odda the younger more with every episode. I love Ragnar the younger more every time he is on screen. Guthrum is pretty badass too.

I like the girl playing Isalt she is a bit mysterious without going "ooooh look how weird I am!"

Alfred is still nailing it. As is the girl playing his wife (she does the stuck up religious hatred thing very well!)

Really hope they continue to make this into the series. Definitely feeling a reread coming on...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#15 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:20 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 December 2015 - 08:12 PM, said:

- Uhtred should be blonde (hair the colour of yellow piss).
- His childhood and young adult years under Ragnar-elder last for a huge chunk of the first book, but here it's kind of glossed over. I can see WHY they did that...but it still felt a bit jarring.
- Ubba is cast well (though wasn't he dark haired, and Ivar the Boneless was fair-haired?) as he looks the part shape-wise...but is there a reason that Ivar has been left entirely out of the show? Part of what was so badass about the first book was Uhtred taking on not only Ubba but his brother as well.
Bonus Points: Knowing that Ubba (and Ivar, were he present like he is in the books) are the youngest children of Ragnar Lothbrokson from VIKINGS, the ones birthed to him by Aslaug.
- I'm not sold on the actress playing Brida...something bugs me about her. Not sure what. Also, Brida is meant to be Welsh...so having an Austrian actress play her with her natural accent is a tad jarring.

All true - Uhtred is blonde and Ubba dark in the books. However, I really like both actors so can forgive it. Particularly Rune Temte as Ubba - he's brilliant.

I change my opinion about Brida each time she's on screen, so I understand what you mean!

Battle of Ethandun in the last episode - meep! :)

I hope they make another series as there's now nine/ten? books in the series? Plenty to go at if they wanted to and the first series seems to have been received really well. Also, Warlord Chronicles are coming at some point in the future. Yay for more Cornwell!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#16 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:49 AM

Wait, have they amalgamated the chatacters of Leofric and Steapa into just Leofric?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#17 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:56 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 December 2015 - 11:49 AM, said:

Wait, have they amalgamated the chatacters of Leofric and Steapa into just Leofric?

Yup, given that Leofric is portrayed as Odda's sworn man (which he certainly wasn't in the books - that was Steapa) I would assume that's what they've done.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#18 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:39 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 08 December 2015 - 11:56 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 December 2015 - 11:49 AM, said:

Yup, given that Leofric is portrayed as Odda's sworn man (which he certainly wasn't in the books - that was Steapa) I would assume that's what they've done.

Ah okay, I was a little thrown, cause he acted like Steapa, but called Leofric. Oh well, that's a fine change. No need for both characters really.

If they do a S2...which hopefully they do, it would mean casting Finan and Gisela...both of which are fave characters of mine.

#19 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:49 PM

Cracking final episode last night :)

They said at the end that it would be returning for a second season :D

#20 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:11 PM

Woop woop!

I wonder if they'll introduce Steapa as a different character now?
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users