Malazan Empire: The Jazz Thread - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Jazz Thread

#1 User is offline   Gredfallan Ale 

• "But it's turtles all the way down"
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Archery, cycling, science, & philosophy.

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:14 PM

Ernest J. Hopkins said:

"JAZZ" (WE CHANGE the spelling each time so as not to offend either faction) can be defined, but it cannot be synonymized. If there were another word that exactly expressed the meaning of "jaz," "jazz" would never have been born. A new word, like a new muscle, only comes into being when it has long been needed. This remarkable and satisfactory-sounding word, however, means something like life, vigor, energy, effervescence of spirit, joy, pep, magnetism, verve, virility ebulliency, courage, happiness – oh, what's the use? – JAZZ.

(Source: In Praise of 'Jazz,' a Futurist Word Which Has Just Joined the Language by Ernest J. Hopkins in Bulletin, April 05, 1914)

Jazz is hard to define, so hard that I've been witness to several more-or-less heated arguments by self-proclaimed experts or jazz fans whether or not a specific piece of music or a specific band or artist could or should be labelled as "Jazz". Most of the times, they're just arrogantly trying to fence off their precious superior genre from the peasantry of "pop". This thread is not about that, this thread is about the music itself.

What I would like is to share and talk about jazz-related music, in the broadest way imaginable. If you think a song is influenced in any way by Jazz, that's enough for this thread, so share it. As I think that most people have relatively little experience with jazz music, please don't hesitate to share a bit of background on the artist, composer or track you're introducing to the thread. Likewise, if you hear anything you like, but would like to know similar songs or artists, don't hesitate to ask.

I'll start. (I'm by no means an "expert")

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (album)
So, let's start in the most predictable way imaginable and talk about Miles Davis. Like the cliché or not, his music was the mean reason I developed an interest in jazz as a teenager and his 1959 album "Kind of Blue" started it all. As it's arguably the best-selling jazz record of all time, I would expect that most of you have at least heard some of the tracks on the album, even if were just a fragment used during a film. However, while now often seen as the stereotype of jazz, the album was actually quite revolutionary at the time. In the decade or so prior to the release of the album, the common way to improvise was to follow and play around with the chord progression. However, as chord progressions grew ever more complex during the "Hard Bop"-era, Miles Davis felt that the growing complexity limited creativity. Dictated by the complex and fast progressions, the musician was restricted rather than free in their improvisations.

After experimenting with it on his 1958 album "Milestones", Davis therefore decided to ditch the complexity in chords progression and adopt a thing called modality ("modal jazz"). Instead of having to focus on the complex chord progression, as the progression was kept relatively simple, the improvising musician was free to improvise using the mode, or tonality/scale of the song. This lead to an album full of tracks with relatively simple chord progressions, in fact most of the progressions are (derivations of) a simple blues progression, and a lot of freedom for the improvising musicians.

For me, this is still one of the go-to albums when I'm in need of a relaxing evening with a good glass of whisky after a stressful week.

So, here's the opening track of that album, "So What". I think it's a great example of the simplicity in chord progression as there hardly is any progression at all. In fact, the basic structure consists of only two chords, Dm7 and Ebm7, and both are played for bars at a time.

----

Continuing in a second post due to the media limit.

This post has been edited by Gredfallan Ale: 21 September 2015 - 11:51 AM

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that's all.'

#2 User is offline   Gredfallan Ale 

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:14 PM

Bobby McFerrin & Richard Bona
As bass player, I couldn't resist including one of my favourite bass players, Richard Bona. The piece I've chosen is actually a live improvisation session with jazz vocalist, in the broadest sense of the word, Bobby McFerrin and Richard Bona. The basis of the improvisation is one of Bona's songs, Dina Lam, from his 2003 album Munia, but they take it far beyond the original composition, making a lot of "musical" jokes.

McFerrin and Bona - Dina Lam

Original: Richard Bona - Dina Lam

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

#3 User is offline   Gredfallan Ale 

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:15 PM

The last one for today.

Nik Bärtsch's Ronin
The last thing for today is something completely different and I think by far the least "accessible" of the three inclusions. The specific genre is hard to define, taking elements from funk, (classical) minimal music, jazz and even rock. The Swiss composer and pianist Nik Bärtsch describes it as "ritual groove music".

First up is a very polyrhytmic piece, meaning that the piece has a lot of conflicting simultaneous rhythms. The video is actually a nice animations showing the different overlapping rhythmical patterns. However, be warned, this piece gives most of my friends and family a severe headache.

From their 2006 album STOA, it's "Modul 38_17"

The second piece is more accessible and is less prone to give people headaches.

It's a track catchingly called "Modul 48", from their 2010 album "LLYRÌA".

---

I'll share more later, but feel free to add you own additions in the mean time!

#4 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:52 PM

How do you embed Youtube videos...?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#5 User is offline   Gredfallan Ale 

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:55 PM

View PostGorefest, on 18 September 2015 - 01:52 PM, said:

How do you embed Youtube videos...?

Use the media tag and the "http" not "https" version of the youtube url. Example:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7eOs5lERww[/media]

This would embed Joe Henderson's version of the Blue Bossa.

#6 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:30 PM

View PostGredfallan Ale, on 18 September 2015 - 01:14 PM, said:

Jazz is hard to define, so hard that I've been witness to several more-or-less heated arguments by self-proclaimed experts or jazz fans whether or not a specific piece of music or a specific band or artist could or should be labelled as "Jazz". Most of the times, they're just arrogantly trying to fence off their precious superior genre from the peasantry of "pop". This thread is not about that, this thread is about the music itself.

I think this sort of thing happens with every musical genre. When it is just a little music style that has splintered off from some other style/genre, or when it is only being done by a small number of people in a small pseudo-community it is easy to have borders saying "this is [style] and this is not [style]".

But then it gets bigger, in terms of the number of players+listeners, cultural significance, and even just time that it has existed. Once it hits a certain mass, the song-writers/composers of the genre aren't happy with just making more of the same (because now there is so much fundamental music already extant) they want to experiment and take it in new directions. Now a whole system of learning and explaining the genre's process and styles exists. Now it musicians/writers growing up and being educated both in this genre and other genres, so of course they want to try and hybridize the different elements they've been taught.

People are still debating whether Adagio being played by a string quartet, electric guitar and synthetic drums counts as classical music or not, and those sorts of things will always be the case, I think. Oh well!

Anyways, I like jazz, but all the 50s-70s bebop / modal stuff bores me. I just don't have the ear to appreciate whatever fancy chord structure or non-conventional harmony effects Dizzy Gillespie is doing... it all kind of sounds the same to me.

I also am not a fan of the modern "showpiece" styles... I'm not really sure what to call it... but anytime I see a jazz band that is taking itself very seriously and/or competing or whatever, EVERY SINGLE SONG they play is just:

> 8-bar 'melody'
> 5-minute saxophone solo
> 5-minute trombone solo
> 5-minute trumpet solo
> 8-bar 'melody' again

and that's it! Over and over again! Hate that stuff!

What I DO like is swing, a lot of the fusion styles, and a lot of the really early ragtimey stuff. Basically, the stuff that is more "pop" - ie it is focused more on entertainment than on being critically appreciated.

In particular, I love the stuff from the 90s' brief swing renaissance. Part of it I'm sure is just better recording capabilities compared to the swing music from the 40s, but also a lot of the 90s stuff just sounds so much like they're having tons of fun and it's infectious!

Some examples:

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#7 User is offline   Calm's Peace 

• Recruit

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:46 PM

I'm not a huge jazz fan. It one of those genres that I enjoy listening to live (bars/festival- I have a Music festival addiction, there is no help for it) but rarely listen to when I'm relaxing at home...but every once in awhile I get in the mood and inevitably I wind-up listening to Preservation Hall Jazz Band. Maybe it's because any time I'm in New Orleans for a music festival, I always try to get myself to Preservation Hall. So there's that comforting sense of nostalgia when I listen to the music. Not to mention the extremely talented artists that play in the band.

Or an Ella Fitzgerald album..

#8 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:03 PM

Some of it more jazz-influenced than pure jazz, but you said that was allowed :( I find it hard to determine where something stops being jazz and starts being 'alternative' or 'prog'.

dEUS - Fell off the floor, man

---

DAAU - Waltz Delire

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#9 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:04 PM

Kiss My Jazz - A greater loss than pain

----

Zita Swoon / Moondog Jr - The Richochet

#10 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:04 PM

dEUS - Quatre Mains

---

Die Anarchistische Abentunterhaltung (DAAU) - Broken (with An Pierle as guest singer)

#11 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 19 September 2015 - 01:09 AM

Not a fan of much to be honest, though I have always had a fondness for jazz influenced electronica and drum and bass.

I think this qualifies as regular jazz
Dean Fraser - African Elation

4Hero - Les Fleurs

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#12 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:29 AM

OK I am a huge jazz fan - I love the crazy dudes of the 50s (Ornette Coleman, Miles Davies, Thelonius Monk, Count Base, Charles Mingus and of course Louis & Ella...) I love the big band swing, I love the 3 piece chilled stuff and I love some of the modern stuff like the Marchforth Marching Band, Youngbloods brass band and Hot 8 Brass Band.

This year an absolute masterpiece was created. It is by an artist called Kamasi Washington and it is mind-blowingly brilliant. It is called "The Epic" and while the title might suggest some forms of bigging oneself up, by no means is that the case. It lives up to the name. For starters, it is 3 discs long. Secondly, the amount of guest musicians, styles and instruments used is vast and diverse. I'd definitely recommend taking time to listen to it properly as it isn't on you can just stick on a song here and there...

Anyway I'm on mobile and it's playing up a bit, will post some links and whatnot later but thanks for starting this thread! I look forward to listening to some of the above links later.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#13 User is offline   Gredfallan Ale 

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:23 PM

So many great additions, thanks.

View PostGorefest, on 18 September 2015 - 03:03 PM, said:

Some of it more jazz-influenced than pure jazz, but you said that was allowed :( I find it hard to determine where something stops being jazz and starts being 'alternative' or 'prog'.

Yeah, I don't really care for boundaries. This is a great thread for extending one's musical horizon, so debating whether or not something is "truly" jazz or jazz-influenced, whatever that is, is not really relevant for me.

I never paid dEUS much attention, but I think I'm going to listen to a couple of their songs. They're from Belgium, right?

View PostBinder of Demons, on 19 September 2015 - 01:09 AM, said:

Not a fan of much to be honest, though I have always had a fondness for jazz influenced electronica and drum and bass.

I would love to hear some jazz-influenced electronica and drum and bass. Do you have any suggestions?

View PostTiste Simeon, on 19 September 2015 - 08:29 AM, said:

This year an absolute masterpiece was created. It is by an artist called Kamasi Washington and it is mind-blowingly brilliant. It is called "The Epic" and while the title might suggest some forms of bigging oneself up, by no means is that the case. It lives up to the name. For starters, it is 3 discs long. Secondly, the amount of guest musicians, styles and instruments used is vast and diverse. I'd definitely recommend taking time to listen to it properly as it isn't on you can just stick on a song here and there...

Thanks, never heard of him. I'm listening to "The Epic" on Youtube right now.

Link to the playlist for other: Kamasi Washington - The Epic (Youtube playlist)

The first track:

#14 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:57 AM

Yeah they are. Actually, all the bands I posted are Belgian. There was a very vibrant scene especially around Antwerp in the late nineties, with lots of guys playing in each other's bands and most of those bands were mixing up all sorts of music styles. The basis is usually pop/rock, but there are heavy jazz and blues influences. dEUS are my all-time favourite band, the most diverse and intriguing band I've ever come across within my personal musical interest.

#15 User is offline   Gredfallan Ale 

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:41 AM

Okay, I'm going to add another one of my favourite artist. It's American jazz pianist Brad Mehldau.

Brad Mehldau
Mehldau is one of my favourite jazz pianists, although his work is so broad I don't know if "jazz pianist" truly covers his repertoire. He is mostly renowned for his solo improvisations based on existing songs (jazz, rock, and pop) and playing two different melodies in separate hands, even while improvising. It's actually quite hard to make a representative selection as it's almost impossible to cover his broad repertoire with just two songs (media post limit), so I'll link to a couple more of his songs instead of embedding them.

Brad Mehldau - Blackbird
This track from his 1997 album "The Art of the Trio (volume one)" is a very accessible piece that accentuates both his jazz side and the incorporation of pop in his work. While I think his play was still very much evolving at the time, the whole album is nonetheless one of my favourite trio albums of the last two decades. Blackbird, a cover of the famous Beatles song, is usually the first song I put on when introducing people to Mehldau, so it's the first addition here as well:

Brad Mehldau - Paranoid Android
Yes, another cover. Although Mehldau does compose as well, I'm hooked on this live solo improvisation based on Radiohead's "Paranoid Android". I'm not going to elaborate to much on this performance, just listen:

Selected other works
Brad Mehldau Trio - Ode (Number 19) - Live
This live performance includes an amazing bass solo by Larry Grenadier. Composition by Mehldau.

Brad Mehldau - My Favorite Things (live in Vienna)
This solo improvisation on "My Favorite Things" (The Sound of Music) was my introduction to Mehldau. I still love it.

Kurt Rosenwinkel Group - Use of Light
This is basically cheating, as this track also includes one of my favourite still active saxophonists, Joshua Redman. Amazing piano intro by Mehldau.

This post has been edited by Gredfallan Ale: 21 September 2015 - 11:42 AM

#16 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:43 PM

well this threa'ds gone down the list

A choir buddy of mine is a big jazz fan and recomended i give this a listen.

#17 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 15 November 2015 - 03:17 PM

Currently listening to this:

Never heard of him before but I am really enjoying it!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#18 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:39 AM

I was never a fan of anything related to Jazz music (With the exception of one music video called "Hop on Hop off" posted here a couple of years ago).
However, I ran into a music video named "Gimme That Swing" by an artist called Cissie Redgwick. The music, while awesome, did not seem all that interesting to me. On the other hand, her singing absolutely enchanted me. I started listening to other stuff that Youtube recommend for me. ( This is the full list of my favourites so far)
What is making me sad is the fact that apparently this genre of swing with excellent vocals is not all that prevalent, as I have not been able to find any more songs like them. (Although Quatre Mains linked up thread is an astounding beauty both in guitars and vocals)

I'm begging someone to prove my assumption wrong and show me other works similar to the ones I linked.
I did try to listen to some of the stuff linked in this thread and most of the ones I've listened to seem to fall into some realm similar to that of progressive music (musicians doing horrible things with their instruments) rather than the sort of music I prefer.

Edit: Forgot the mention, "Change of the Guard" sounds like an absolutely amazing (dare I say it) masterpiece to me.

This post has been edited by Nostalgia for Infinity: 01 December 2015 - 09:47 AM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#19 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:25 AM

So my brother sent me this.
Jazz covers of metal/rock songs

Not bad

#20 User is offline   Lusipher 

• Talon Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • View gallery
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:44 AM

Some jazz-influenced drum and bass. There's quite a bit floating around, but these were the ones I knew off the top of my head

This post has been edited by Lusipher: 10 June 2016 - 07:45 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users