Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Favourite bits of foreshadowing

#1 User is offline   RandallFlagg 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 August 2015 - 11:19 AM

Loved the book a lot more than I thought I would. I generally thought that a prequel series wouldn't be as exciting since we know what the end result is, but where it does have an advantage is being able to subtly hint at the events that occur in the main series. While there were some more obvious/ cliche nods to future events (Silchas and Scabby talking about how they're best buds and will fight side by side until the end...) I loved the more subtle plots that on reflection you can see how it plays into the main series. Some of my favourites:

1) Urasander's obsession with justice. After fighting against the Forkral he studies their scriptures and develops his own notions of true justice. Cut to present day world when the Liosan without Father Light are trying to follow his views and are wandering around waging their wars in the name of justice, killing whatever they don't think to be pure etc.

2) Kadaspala remembering the face of the child. The face of the dead boy that he was subconsciously painting over and over again to make of that image a God. Flash forward a few hundreds of thousands of years and in Draginpur he does just that, despite being much more insane by that time.

3) Tulas Shorn being given the Jheleck pups to raise. And this one would be awesome if it comes to fruition, but are these Jheleck hostages the future hounds of shadow? Would be interesting to see how that transformation occurs from the Jheleck children to the hounds that present day Tulas called his own.

ANyone else have some favourite nods to the main series?

#2 User is offline   Felisin Fatter 

• Captain

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:18 AM

I kinda liked how in the scene with Silchas and Sabby they kept touching each others backs, made me giggle. And any scene with Kadaspala seems to be all foreshadowing.

And the scene where Anomander picks up the yet unnamed new sword (soon to be grief/vengeance) and the mad smith says it needs purity in it's wielder and then talks about how purity is a horrid thing that will destroy everyone.

#3 User is offline   paradanmellow 

• Unaligned Card
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:art, psychology, potatoes
  • walking the shores of lake Azur

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:21 PM

View PostFelisin Fatter, on 08 August 2015 - 10:18 AM, said:

I kinda liked how in the scene with Silchas and Sabby they kept touching each others backs, made me giggle. And any scene with Kadaspala seems to be all foreshadowing.

And the scene where Anomander picks up the yet unnamed new sword (soon to be grief/vengeance) and the mad smith says it needs purity in it's wielder and then talks about how purity is a horrid thing that will destroy everyone.

I require clarification, if you please:
Are the two you mentioned lovers or something?
Where can I find this about purity destroying everyone?
Thanks!
There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

#4 User is offline   Felisin Fatter 

• Captain

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:21 PM

No just friends, but in the main series there are all these conflicting stories about them backstabbing eachother (like, literally, with swords and everything). Hence, foreshadowing that struck me as funny. The purity thing... well, I don't have the book right now, but it's when Anomander picks up the sword he ordered - eh, have you actually read the book?

#5 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 20 December 2015 - 02:00 PM

Anomander and Caladan Brood meeting for the first time and forging their 'bond'. That was probably my biggest mind-blown moment in Forge of Darkness, though Grief/Vengeance being given a name comes close second. Also anything that points toward the connection between Korya and Quick Ben is super cool, though I guess we can't officially call that foreshadowing yet :p

#6 User is offline   Soletaken Toblakai 

• Corporal

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:20 PM

View PostRandallFlagg, on 03 August 2015 - 11:19 AM, said:

Loved the book a lot more than I thought I would. I generally thought that a prequel series wouldn't be as exciting since we know what the end result is, but where it does have an advantage is being able to subtly hint at the events that occur in the main series. While there were some more obvious/ cliche nods to future events (Silchas and Scabby talking about how they're best buds and will fight side by side until the end...) I loved the more subtle plots that on reflection you can see how it plays into the main series. Some of my favourites:

1) Urasander's obsession with justice. After fighting against the Forkral he studies their scriptures and develops his own notions of true justice. Cut to present day world when the Liosan without Father Light are trying to follow his views and are wandering around waging their wars in the name of justice, killing whatever they don't think to be pure etc.

2) Kadaspala remembering the face of the child. The face of the dead boy that he was subconsciously painting over and over again to make of that image a God. Flash forward a few hundreds of thousands of years and in Draginpur he does just that, despite being much more insane by that time.

3) Tulas Shorn being given the Jheleck pups to raise. And this one would be awesome if it comes to fruition, but are these Jheleck hostages the future hounds of shadow? Would be interesting to see how that transformation occurs from the Jheleck children to the hounds that present day Tulas called his own.

ANyone else have some favourite nods to the main series?

Wait a sec, you telling me it was Kadaspala in Dragnipur this whole time? I thought it was blind Gallan?
By the blood of the Eleint... Witness...

#7 User is offline   HedgeWalker 

• Topiary Tottering
  • Interests:The complex relationship between underwear volume and personality disposition.

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:23 PM

Perhaps not foreshadowing, but the continued exposition of the Jaghut race with the various characters (Haup, Gothos, Hood et all) and how they are going to map with the tiny-weeny bits of knowledge we get on Jaghut history in MBotF...

I had similar thoughts that a prequel = snore-fest, but trusted in SE....He's delivering for sure, maybe my thinky meatz are slow, but it seems that there are many hints for who-is-what-is-going-to-be when we reach GotM/DG/MoI etc, but I suspect that not everything is as straight as it seems...funtimes!

Jaghut Army tho - with Jaghut humour....all kinds Win!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users