Malazan Empire: The Wonderful World of.... Comcast (and other Scumfeeders) - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Wonderful World of.... Comcast (and other Scumfeeders) A discussion to pass time while waiting for Google internet

#1 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:33 AM

I just had the loveliest [/sarcasm] time on the phone with Comcast to negotiate my internet-only plan pricing. This time I cut through the bullshit a little more elegantly than last year (although my rates still increased $8 / month for the same exact service). But I also learned a lot of interesting pointers that I wanted to share (and hoped y'all would do the same):

FINDING THE BEST PRICE

Firstly, as most of you know, the original sticker price is a scam and not at all the best price. Following that logic, the first promotional offered by the customer service grunt is likewise not the best deal (you have to get to a supervisor; I just skip the grunt altogether).

But! did you know the best price is also Department-specific? For instance, when with the Billing department supervisor, the best price offered was $49.99. Escalation to the Customer Retention Department (and yes they need laxatives up their tight asses) resulted in a best deal of $54.99.

$5.00 increase for escalating?! They really didn't want to keep me as a customer :(

HEDGING AND ROADBLOCKS

It is fascinating trying to figure out how the company works from the bottom up. There are supervisors of supervisors of course, but have you ever tried to talk to one? I have, and as a result received excuses followed by shunting to Customer Retention.

Now you would think that the escalation was reversible, right? I mean, the person higher/next-level-up from the supervisor should be able to transfer you anywhere, right? I mean, this is just a simple office phone; it's not like the departments use special phones with the equivalent of parental controls on the TV. But the Consumer Retention Department could not transfer me back to Billing (and the first supervisor I annoyed). Couldn't?! Clever Comcast, real clever...

AVOID LOGIC

Finally, if you have the patience, attempt to reason with the customer reps. Try asking why the price increases when the service doesn't change. Try inquiring into why you can't talk to their supervisor. Ask why there isn't a central best deal and why they give you the run around. Most of the time the rep will just answer a question you didn't ask (they are very very good at that. Kind of amusing, like watching a racoon raiding your garbage can).

That is what I have for this year, $96 poorer for the year, and still with the same shitty internet.

Burn in hell Comcast.

This post has been edited by Gust Hubb: 31 July 2015 - 01:35 AM

"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#2 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:46 AM

So what internet do you get for that?

#3 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:00 AM

The best they offer. BLAST. But Comcast uses a shared pipeline system, so I only get fast internet when everyone else is not using it.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:45 AM

Yo, I'm gonna have to call Verizon this weekend cuz my contract is up, and I'm getting anxious just at the thought. Also I think they signed me up for HBO with no prompting whatsoever, since I got an email "welcoming" me this morning. That seems, uh, sketchy to say the least.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:17 AM

Time Warner charges a rental fee for using their modem. It's six or seven dollars a month. I found out about it and decided that economically, paying that rental fee over years was crazy.

I bought my own modem, which is cool and works well. However, I also negotiated a package deal in which cable tv and phone line is all done thru Time Warner.

The phone line requires their modem to stay in the house. So I have my modem for the internet and the same, previously rented modem owned by Time Warner for the phone.

No modem rental fee is being charged for this arrangement.

Logic, do u have it?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users