Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Silanah Question Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:59 PM

Is she sworn to the throne of Kharkanas? I always thought she was just Rakes Dragon Lover, but it seems she is held to some sort of allegiance to the Throne that he sat on and not really Rake himself. Anyone have any explanation i may have missed. I thought they chose to be with eachother.

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:42 PM

View Posttheocean, on 28 July 2015 - 06:59 PM, said:

but it seems she is held to some sort of allegiance to the Throne that he sat on and not really Rake himself.

https://en.wikipedia...ming_a_disjunct
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:05 PM

View Postworry, on 28 July 2015 - 07:42 PM, said:

View Posttheocean, on 28 July 2015 - 06:59 PM, said:

but it seems she is held to some sort of allegiance to the Throne that he sat on and not really Rake himself.

https://en.wikipedia...ming_a_disjunct

Its just weird it seemed like it was a love between them, then you find out that she was forced to bend to his will, seems awkward. Unrakelike.

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:21 PM

https://en.wikipedia...tion#Definition

#5 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:01 PM

Worry's being cute again...

Do you have a quote, ocean? I'm pretty sure two dragons don't make a storm, as in they wouldn't automatically coerce each other. Beides, Silanah's a true blood Eleint and Rake's got his self-control thing, either of which has to count to count for something.

Silanah may have some kind of attachment to whoever rules the Tiste Andii or to Kharkanas/Kurald Galain, after all, she stayed when Nimander took over. Maybe she's the Eleint connected to Kurald Galain (though I am sure there are no Eleint connected to Elder Warrens). Maybe it's emotional, in whatever way Eleint feel emotions. We may get more about that in FoL.

Point is, one does not exclude the other. Also, yeah, I belatedly realize you were probably referring to Sandalath taking control of Silanah?

This post has been edited by Puckstein: 28 July 2015 - 09:10 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:11 PM

In TBH Kalse, Eloth, Ampelas, & Cotillion talk and Silanah comes up: she falls for Rake's charms AND she acquiesces to Olar Ethil pleading for fire (according to these tricksy Eleint; but it seems universally acknowledged that Silanah is Thyr-aspected). From Spinnock (I think) in TTH we learn that Silanah comes around at a much later date than the war against the Eleint (presumably the one we see in prologues, such as when Kilmandaros has a talk with Rake), and their relationship is mysterious even to him. So as usual, the timeline of her stay with the Andii is vague and precarious. I imagine that Silanah is foremost a friend to Rake, and voluntarily struck a pact with the Andii in general. The fact that she can be compelled, if that's what's going on (it may very well be loyalty, however it looks to others), negates none of her relationship with Rake.

#7 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:01 AM

Can't pinpoint but there is a quote somewhere about how Rake went into the wreckage of Emurlahn to try to save it and when he emerged it was with Silanah by his side. Since a large portion of the battle for Emurlahn was against attempted usurpation attempts by the Eleint themselves, it is reasonable to assume that this is where Rake met Silanah, they made an alliance due to common sympathies, this alliance deepened into something more etc.. Then Rake being the farsighted chap that he is probably asked Silanah to remain loyal to the throne of the Andii after he was gone, probably assuming they would need the firepower. (And they did)

#8 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:13 PM

View PostAndorion, on 29 July 2015 - 01:01 AM, said:

Can't pinpoint but there is a quote somewhere about how Rake went into the wreckage of Emurlahn to try to save it and when he emerged it was with Silanah by his side. Since a large portion of the battle for Emurlahn was against attempted usurpation attempts by the Eleint themselves, it is reasonable to assume that this is where Rake met Silanah, they made an alliance due to common sympathies, this alliance deepened into something more etc.. Then Rake being the farsighted chap that he is probably asked Silanah to remain loyal to the throne of the Andii after he was gone, probably assuming they would need the firepower. (And they did)

But being tied to the throne almost assured their downfall since the crazy lady on throne wasnt sane anymore. The terms are basically she is bound to destroy the city. They will make sandalath order silanah to fight for them. The tiste are losing until silanah is released from the control of sandalath. SO it seems like it was whoever sits the throne runs silanah, not just Rake asking his reptile babygirl to look after his people in his absence.

Its just weird and i never really realized how she was so tied to the throne itself, i thought everything was done between her and Rake because they have an actual relationship in drgaon form.

This post has been edited by theocean: 29 July 2015 - 03:26 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users