• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Paul Feig's GHOSTBUSTERS Female cast Reboot

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:12 PM

So I figured we could start a thread to share our feelings on this.

Things we know:

Main Cast

Kristin Wiig
Melissa Mcarthy
Kate McKinnon
Leslie Jones

Chris Hemsworth (in Jeannine's receptionist role)

Erin Gilbert (Wiig) and Abby Bergman (McCarthy) are a pair of unheralded authors who write a book positing that ghosts are real. A few years later Gilbert lands a prestigious teaching position at Columbia University, but her book resurfaces and she is laughed out of academia. Gilbert reunites with Bergman and others when ghosts invade Manhattan and she and her team have to save the world.

It also sounds like Aykroyd may get a cameo...but since this is a reboot I have no idea how that will work.

Here are photo's of the costumes, and the proton pack.

Attached File  Costumes.png (534.85K)
Number of downloads: 0

Attached File  Ppack.jpg (72.98K)
Number of downloads: 0

So the long and short of how I feel is as follows:

1. Paul Fieg recently has one certified hit (BRIDESMAIDS), one movie that is considered funnier than it has a right to be (SPY), and one utter dreck flop (THE HEAT). This is a decent track record for a comedy film prospect which is a check mark in the "promising" category.

2. The all female cast (and male receptionist) is cool...and I love Kate McKinnon and find her the funniest thing SNL has produced since Samberg. But I LOATHE, out and out LOATHE Leslie Jones. She's not funny, and she will ruin anything she touches in this movie. I think they should have brought in Shaheer Zamata instead if they are using SNL alum. She's just a funnier comedian.

3. The fact that this is a reboot is the bit that urks me the most. This is literally an existing universe with two films under its belt. It's been 30 years since GB2 and the fertile creative soil in which they could craft a new story in that world while at the same time expanding and exploring that universe is staggering. The fact that Fieg has decided to ignore that to retell a similar story as the first film makes me annoyed. I mean why not show what the world of the post GB2 looks like? Why not show how the GB's progressed to deal with what is OBVIOUSLY a threat from the "other side"? It's just a HUGE missed opportunity in my opinion.

4. Horror Comedy. In the 1980's this was a viable genre. It was something that people like John Carpenter excelled at. No one that I can think of today has done this recently. No one has even attempted it. So if Fieg's plan is to go all-out comedy with a Ghostbusters movie, I fear that it will flop as a result. I HOPE he has it in him to do up Horror Comedy.

What does everyone else think about this? Is it going to do well? does it sound good? Sound off. :p

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 30 June 2015 - 06:14 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   Bulwyf 

• ½ man, ½ amazing
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:21 PM

I'm skeptical.

I have little interest in the reboot, though tbh, my interest would be low for a continuation of the originals as well.

A good trailer/teaser could draw me right in though.
Now they will know why they are are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night. -Thulsa Doom

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I would never, ever choose to be. -MJK

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:15 PM

View PostBulwyf, on 30 June 2015 - 03:21 PM, said:

A good trailer/teaser could draw me right in though.

Agreed. At this point this is me as well. If they can get the tone right, and it's different enough form the original it might just fly. But it's an uphill battle methinks.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:28 PM

I'm very optimistic. I'll say it: Paul Feig is as funny as Harold Ramis. Even The Heat was better than it had any right to be, since Sandra Bullock is comedy kryptonite. And you can focus on his features (two successful, one middling), but he's also responsible for some of the best Arrested Development and The Office episodes. And I mean Freaks & Geeks: unimpeachable. He's a fantastic ensemble writer/director.

As far as recent horror comedy, you've got a short memory! Shaun of the Dead, Tucker & Dale vs Evil, Zombieland, Housebound, You're Next, Slither, Drag Me to Hell, Dead Snow, The Cabin In the Woods.

As far as rebooting it goes, I have no special knowledge but I wouldn't be shocked if that's just how it had to be. Aykroyd has never given up the ghost on his GB3. Even if this movie has his blessing, he'll be pitching his own GB3 script into his 90s and beyond. He'll come back as a ghost with script in hand and be a ghost playing a human who busts ghosts, if that's what it takes.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:36 PM

View Postworry, on 30 June 2015 - 07:28 PM, said:

I'm very optimistic. I'll say it: Paul Feig is as funny as Harold Ramis. Even The Heat was better than it had any right to be, since Sandra Bullock is comedy kryptonite. And you can focus on his features (two successful, one middling), but he's also responsible for some of the best Arrested Development and The Office episodes. And I mean Freaks & Geeks: unimpeachable. He's a fantastic ensemble writer/director.

On THE HEAT, I'm afraid we'll disagree. Though FREAKS AND GEEKS gets him more of a pass than he might normally have with me.

As far as recent horror comedy, you've got a short memory! Shaun of the Dead, Tucker & Dale vs Evil, Zombieland, Housebound, You're Next, Slither, Drag Me to Hell, Dead Snow, The Cabin In the Woods.

I will freely give you SHAUN, ZOMBIELAND (neither are recent by any stretch though), and CABIN IN THE WOODS (but this succeeds less on the comedy horror than how cool a twist/idea it had)...the rest are all no for me personally. So that's 3 films since the 1980's.

As far as rebooting it goes, I have no special knowledge but I wouldn't be shocked if that's just how it had to be. Aykroyd has never given up the ghost on his GB3. Even if this movie has his blessing, he'll be pitching his own GB3 script into his 90s and beyond. He'll come back as a ghost with script in hand and be a ghost playing a human who busts ghosts, if that's what it takes.

Huh, I never actually thought about that before. I guess with Ramis passed on, that Aykroyd has ALL the rights now. Which would explain that...but why he wouldn't allow the new cast to tell a sequel story is a bit beyond me. He can't exactly be slinging ghosts at his age anyways.

And Murray will NEVER do it. Which is why I like Bill Murray.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 30 June 2015 - 07:38 PM

#6 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:39 PM

View PostBriar King, on 30 June 2015 - 07:30 PM, said:

My hopes aren't to high on this one. I don't think reboot is the best move. A passing of the guard from Murray and company would be much better for older fans who were alive when those were in theaters.

EXACTLY. Like The Star Wars sequels. Bring back the old guard to pass that torch. Keep telling the story, but allow it to organically grow.

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:04 PM

But you just said Murray would never do it. And you're right. You'd just have Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson passing the torch, and no offense to them but that's kinda lame.

And just so's you know I wasn't talking out of my butt re: Aykroyd
http://www.contactmu...rs-hope_4592307
He will NEVER give up.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:48 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 June 2015 - 03:12 PM, said:

4. Horror Comedy. In the 1980's this was a viable genre. It was something that people like John Carpenter excelled at. No one that I can think of today has done this recently.

Really? Apart from Supernatural crossing into that territory all the time, there's Cabin in the Woods, Zombieland, Tucker and Dale vs Evil (I haven't seen that yet myself, but it's got reasonably good reviews), What We Do in the Shadows (likewise, but with better reviews), Shaun of the Dead and Bubba Ho Tep if that counts as recent... it's not a dead genre by any means.

Whether Feige is the right man for a Ghostbusters film, though, I'm utterly unsure. I liked Spy quite a bit, but he's got utterly the wrong sensibility for it judging by that. If it was Edgar Wright or, why the hell not, Matthew Vaughn, who's got a good record with genre/comedy crossovers, I'd be a lot more convinced.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:51 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 30 June 2015 - 08:48 PM, said:

4. Horror Comedy. In the 1980's this was a viable genre. It was something that people like John Carpenter excelled at. No one that I can think of today has done this recently.

Really? Apart from Supernatural crossing into that territory all the time, there's Cabin in the Woods, Zombieland, Tucker and Dale vs Evil (I haven't seen that yet myself, but it's got reasonably good reviews), What We Do in the Shadows (likewise, but with better reviews), Shaun of the Dead and Bubba Ho Tep if that counts as recent... it's not a dead genre by any means.

Considering that I only think two of those flicks qualify as good "Horror Comedy", we may have to disagree on that point. Never said it was a dead genre, just that I could not think of recent successful ones. I'll capitulate on the box office successes like ZOMBIELAND and SHAUN OF THE DEAD. The point is, when was the last time something like BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA, or the original GHOSTBUSTERS came out?

#10 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:50 PM

I don't see the point in it. Then again, I'm thoroughly bored of franchises getting rebooted.

At least, I suppose, it's not like with Spider Man. Rebooted after less than a decade.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#11 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:29 PM

2. The all female cast (and male receptionist) is cool...and I love Kate McKinnon and find her the funniest thing SNL has produced since Samberg. But I LOATHE, out and out LOATHE Leslie Jones. She's not funny, and she will ruin anything she touches in this movie. I think they should have brought in Shaheer Zamata instead if they are using SNL alum. She's just a funnier comedian.

3. The fact that this is a reboot is the bit that urks me the most. This is literally an existing universe with two films under its belt. It's been 30 years since GB2 and the fertile creative soil in which they could craft a new story in that world while at the same time expanding and exploring that universe is staggering. The fact that Fieg has decided to ignore that to retell a similar story as the first film makes me annoyed. I mean why not show what the world of the post GB2 looks like? Why not show how the GB's progressed to deal with what is OBVIOUSLY a threat from the "other side"? It's just a HUGE missed opportunity in my opinion.

I'm also not fond of reboots, but I will watch this based on the cast alone. And you are wrong about #2. If I could afford to hire a comedian for my personal amusement, I would pay Leslie Jones to follow me around yelling at me. I can't think of anything that would make me laugh harder.

Posted Image
I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#12 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:42 PM

As long as they give whoever has Sigourney Weaver's role the same wardrobe, floaty red dress and all, I'll allow it
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#13 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:46 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 03 July 2015 - 07:42 PM, said:

As long as they give whoever has Sigourney Weaver's role the same wardrobe, floaty red dress and all, I'll allow it

That's Dan Ayckroyd's cameo.....
meh. Link was dead :(

#14 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:30 PM

I'll double allow it
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#15 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:43 AM

This is going to be horrible. Why are they focusing on snl alumni? Most snl movies are terrible. Shit, most of snl is terrible. Melissa McCarthy was funny in bridesmaids, then has beaten that Persona into the ground, over and over. She isn't funny. We get it. You're raunchy. Nothing about this is a good idea.
Error: Signature not valid

#16 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:46 AM

View PostCoco with marshmallows, on 03 July 2015 - 09:46 PM, said:

View PostIlluyankas, on 03 July 2015 - 07:42 PM, said:

That's Dan Ayckroyd's cameo.....

kennethwilliamsmowww.jpg
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#17 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:19 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 03 July 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

I'll double allow it

Regardless of outcome with that, I shall submit it for an academy award!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#18 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:12 PM

Trailer is up:

I... am not sure what I think about this.

I can't separate what the 80s Ghostbusters did great from what ever a modern day Ghostbusting movie needs to be. Am I nostalgic for old Ghostbusters because it was great or just because it was so 80s?

This post has been edited by Apt: 03 March 2016 - 05:14 PM

#19 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:44 PM

Nah, this looks shitty and boring, with no staying power. Like most Feig stuff (excluding F&G and Knocked Up).

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 03 March 2016 - 05:44 PM

#20 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:13 PM

I'll post what I see as the main issue with this.

Fieg's comedy is forced and unfunny and unsubtle.

Library Ghost scene in this film:

The ghost has its scare moment and then vomits slime all over Wigg. Then cut to Wigg’s joke: “That stuff got everywhere, every crack, very hard to wash off.”

Library Ghost scene in the original:

Venkman: He slimed me.

Ray: That’s great! Actual physical contact!

Ray: Spengler! I’m with Venkman! He got slimed!

Egon: That’s great, Ray. Save some for me. (deadpan delivery)

I mean it's night and day.

McKinnon is GREAT in the trailer and steals every scene...but everyone else is just there.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users