Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I did it!

#1 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:11 PM

Ok, so maybe posting here and on the news board is overkill, but you have no idea how thrilled I am to at last have managed to format a Poll and a Slideshow on the Wiki homepage. It's been a lot of trial and error!

http://malazan.wikia...ki/Malazan_Wiki

Please, please, please, take a look and let me know if and what does and doesn't work on your screen. It would help a lot if you could also say whether you are logged in or not and if you are, whether you are using the default skin or the MonoBook.

Thank you very much!

Oh, and do vote while you're at it :headbang:

#2 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:36 AM

Voted - monobook skin, logged in. The poll looks great Egwene, as always, appreciate all your hard work :headbang:
The slideshow is a little bit cut off (just a bit of the arrow pointing to the right), but I'm looking at it from a tiny 11-inch display.

#3 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:55 AM

View PostDadding, on 22 May 2015 - 12:36 AM, said:

Voted - monobook skin, logged in. The poll looks great Egwene, as always, appreciate all your hard work :p
The slideshow is a little bit cut off (just a bit of the arrow pointing to the right), but I'm looking at it from a tiny 11-inch display.

Thanks for the feedback, Dadding :headbang: I am hoping that a good home page might do it's little bit to spread the word about the 'epicness' of the Malazan world. I am always looking for new things to add to make it more exciting.

As for the maps - it's the size of the images that is causing the problem there I think. Might have to re-size many of them *sigh*

Glad you are using MonoBook. So much better, isn't it?

#4 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:31 AM

Viewing it from a Chrome browser on a desktop PC. Same feedback as Dadding, really. Poll looks and works fine, the slideshow with the maps is being cut off on the right hand side, so it is missing out about 1-2cm of image. However, the slideshow itself works fine and you can also expand it to view the full images.

Great job as always! The site looks awesome overall.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#5 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:47 AM

View PostGorefest, on 22 May 2015 - 09:31 AM, said:

Viewing it from a Chrome browser on a desktop PC. Same feedback as Dadding, really. Poll looks and works fine, the slideshow with the maps is being cut off on the right hand side, so it is missing out about 1-2cm of image. However, the slideshow itself works fine and you can also expand it to view the full images.

Great job as always! The site looks awesome overall.

Thanks for your comments, Gorefest :headbang:

I am not able to expand the image on my own screen... this is the only instance where I can see something better on the default skin. Will try and do something about it.

#6 User is offline   Corporal Nobbs 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:18 AM

Missing House of Chains in the poll
Rejoice. For very bad things are about to happen

#7 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:13 PM

View PostCorporal Nobbs, on 22 May 2015 - 11:18 AM, said:

Missing House of Chains in the poll

Ooophs!!!!!! Thanks for telling me, CN!

:headbang: <--- this was me at the time of posting the poll - gone midnight and definitely not firing on all cylinders anymore.

I have now included the missing item. You'll be pleased to hear that voters are able to change their vote however, as no one else spotted this, I guess it isn't their favourite in any case.

Thanks again for pointing it out :p

PS: ..cough.. cough... of course, it was all a deliberate mistake to see if anyone would spot it..aghmmm.. cough cough..

This post has been edited by Egwene: 22 May 2015 - 12:16 PM

#8 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:22 PM

Nothing is ever easy!!!!

Good news - it's now included

Bad news - editing has wiped the previous votes

Those 16 people who had voted already, could they do so again, please?!

Sorry about that :headbang:

#9 User is offline   Tru 

• Sergeant

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:32 PM

The page looks nice, good work! I don't know if it's the multimedia ads or what, but the page does load slowly and is choppy at times. My internet connection is mediocre so there is that bit of info. to do with as you please. I had to pause all instances of video's trying to play and that helped a bit not not completely. I did not go to every single link or click every single button, but what navigation I did do worked fine for me, everything seemed active. One note, when I went to signup, and then decided not too, the drop down menu would not go away, thus blocking my view of things. I had to refresh the page to get it to go away. Again, maybe this was in connection. The poll worked fine, I even changed my mind and re-voted a couple of times just to make sure it auto corrected the vote tally and it did. Nice job.

As a completely unrelated observation, I have not read the final two books, thus tainting the vote, I suspect many are in the same boat as me since DoD and tCG have 0 votes...so this either concerns me that the final two books are not very good, or you simply have a lot of ppl who are not finished with the series voting.

#10 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:57 PM

View PostTru, on 23 May 2015 - 04:32 PM, said:

The page looks nice, good work! I don't know if it's the multimedia ads or what, but the page does load slowly and is choppy at times. My internet connection is mediocre so there is that bit of info. to do with as you please. I had to pause all instances of video's trying to play and that helped a bit not not completely. I did not go to every single link or click every single button, but what navigation I did do worked fine for me, everything seemed active. One note, when I went to signup, and then decided not too, the drop down menu would not go away, thus blocking my view of things. I had to refresh the page to get it to go away. Again, maybe this was in connection. The poll worked fine, I even changed my mind and re-voted a couple of times just to make sure it auto corrected the vote tally and it did. Nice job.

As a completely unrelated observation, I have not read the final two books, thus tainting the vote, I suspect many are in the same boat as me since DoD and tCG have 0 votes...so this either concerns me that the final two books are not very good, or you simply have a lot of ppl who are not finished with the series voting.

Thanks for all the feedback, Tru. The sign-up part of the Wiki isn't something we have any say in, that's done centrally for all the Wikis. It changed a bit recently so maybe they are still sorting things out. Signing up is worth doing because then you can choose not to see all the ads and the whole Wiki looks much better. I also change from the default look to MonoBook which again makes it much more user friendly.

Be aware that the Wiki does contain information for those last two books as well, so you may come across spoilers. As for the quality... there are probably a couple of reasons why they don't get so many votes. One is that many long-time fans will have re-read the earlier books more often and thus maybe have more of a sentimental attachment to them or, like you, they have not as yet read them. The other, major one, is that those last two books are actually one and had I thought of this before, I might have added another choice of the two as one. Alas, if I make changes all the current votes disappear so I don't really want to do that. Rest assured, you'll love them! I would regard them as the best written ending to any fantasy series I have read.

Of course, you do make a very good point in that there'll be people voting who have not yet read all the books. Well, the poll is a bit of fun and not a scientific project, so hopefully, that is how people will look at it :headbang:

Enjoy the rest of the series and let me know when you get to those last two whether I was right!

#11 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:27 PM

Not logged in, default skin. Poll works as it should but there's a small problem with the map slideshow. For me the right edge of the maps and the arrow to go to the next picture doesn't fit into the slide show "area", and thus can't be seen. Using google chrome btw, if it has anything to do with it. Brilliant idea with the poll. I've always been interested in all kinds of such statistics, but with the polls being in certain threads on the forum they never get much votes. With it being on the front page of the wiki it should get far more votes.

Reading the other comments it seems that I'm not the only person with the slide show problem. The slideshow however works just fine.

This post has been edited by Esa1996: 23 May 2015 - 07:32 PM

#12 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:21 AM

Logged in, Monobook skin, Chrome browser. Poll works just fine. Slideshow works as well. But when i click the 'Expland Slideshow" button nothing happens.

#13 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:55 PM

Hmmm... does seem like the slideshow won't expand in MonoBook - not sure yet how I can fix that. Don't think I can do anything about the missing edge unless I uploaded re-sized versions of all of the maps.

Thanks for all the responses :)

#14 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 06 June 2015 - 05:23 PM

Only two votes short of a hundred!!

Memories of Ice is getting an enormous 69% of all votes at the moment. If it isn't your favourite, time to get voting :p

Vote here

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users