Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New additions to the Wiki homepage :) Feedback would be much appreciated

#1 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:50 PM

I am thrilled to bits because I have managed to get a few bits added to the Wiki homepage which I have been wanting to do for ages. Firstly a Poll and secondly a slideshow of Malazan maps. Now, I am not that good at coding and it's taken me quite a bit of trial and error to get this far but at first glance, the additions seem to work. But do they???

http://malazan.wikia...ki/Malazan_Wiki

It would help a lot if you could take a look and let me know if things work on your screen. Especially the following:

Is the Poll the same width as the navigation/news box above it?
Are the maps changing automatically?

I have not yet figured out how to be able to click on a map to then go to it's page or how to enlarge the maps via the little icon in the left corner bellow them.

Look forward to your comments :headbang:

Edit:It would help a lot if you could also say whether you are logged in or not and if you are whether you are using the default skin or the MonoBook. Thanks again.

This post has been edited by Egwene: 21 May 2015 - 11:12 PM

#2 User is offline   Ashes 

• Recruit

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:03 AM

I thought it looked great, but I don't have a lot of experience with the Wiki page to compare the changes. So take it all with a grain of salt, working with a lot of ignorance on my part Posted Image

I was not logged in, I don't have an account
The background was the default background, tan beige color
Using chrome browser

Poll:
At first glance the poll looked the same width as the navigation box. If I really looked at it, it appeared to be slightly wider, maybe just a space or two on both sides.

Map:
The maps changed on my screen
Only problem I noticed with the maps is that the red border only covered 3 sides. The far right red border was missing on my screen.

Really looks great. Now I'm going to go do some exploring on the site Posted Image

This post has been edited by Ashes: 22 May 2015 - 12:04 AM

#3 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:35 AM

On mobile, the outline of the poll box and the word Poll appear, but the poll itself does not. Wish I could help more by looking at your CSS, but I'm not going to be by my computer until Saturday.

#4 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:45 AM

View PostAshes, on 22 May 2015 - 12:03 AM, said:

I thought it looked great, but I don't have a lot of experience with the Wiki page to compare the changes. So take it all with a grain of salt, working with a lot of ignorance on my part Posted Image

I was not logged in, I don't have an account
The background was the default background, tan beige color
Using chrome browser

Poll:
At first glance the poll looked the same width as the navigation box. If I really looked at it, it appeared to be slightly wider, maybe just a space or two on both sides.

Map:
The maps changed on my screen
Only problem I noticed with the maps is that the red border only covered 3 sides. The far right red border was missing on my screen.

Really looks great. Now I'm going to go do some exploring on the site Posted Image

Thanks for the feedback, Ashes. Seems like the Poll worked ok for you. I think I will need to re-size many of the maps to get around the problem with the missing edge *sigh*. Can't see a quick way around it. Have fun browsing. Do try out the MonoBook skin - tons better. Once you switch off the ads as well it looks much, much better than the default.

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 22 May 2015 - 12:35 AM, said:

On mobile, the outline of the poll box and the word Poll appear, but the poll itself does not. Wish I could help more by looking at your CSS, but I'm not going to be by my computer until Saturday.

:p Someone who speaks CSS??!!!! Oh, Whisperzzzzz... are you the fairy godmother??? :headbang:
My own editing is very much based on copying and pasting from other Wikia pages, looking at the result and tweaking until it seems ok, rather than knowledge, lol. There is a code which Wikia says I need to insert on the CSS pages to allow for variable Poll size. I have currently inserted it on the MonoBook CSS only as the instruction for the other CSS was a bit confusing. When everything seemed to work the same on both default and MonoBook, I wondered if I got away with it. Maybe not. I would be most grateful if you could check it out on Saturday - in the meantime, I might take another look at the default CSS. C&P here we come!

#5 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:21 PM

Oooophs

Sorry... as eagled-eyed CN just pointed out to me, I missed out House of Chains from the list :headbang:

Good news - it's now included

Bad news - editing has wiped the previous votes

Those 16 people who had voted already, could they do so again, please?!

Sorry about that :p

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users