• You cannot reply to this topic

website design and hosting for a small business

#1 User is offline   DeadHedge 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading MBotF and Playing 360/PC

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:18 AM

Hey guys,

My wife has recently went self employed and is looking at setting up a website, this is something i have never done, however i have created forums before using Lefora.

Could anyone reccomend somewhere taht could host a website for either free or for a very small fee, and also an easy way to build an maintain a website. I'm confident in IT that once i have worked it out i could run it myself, it is just setting it up is the issue.

I checked google and there are so many options taht im not surte who to choose from.

Thanks,

DH
"The wise say that as vows are sworn, so are the reaped. I found this to be true"

Prince K'azz D'avore
Founder of the Crimson Guard

xbl GT - Arai Zenko

#2 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:08 AM

Squarespace is currently bombarding me with advertisements due to sponsoring every tech channel on Youtube, but from what I've seen it does look pretty damn good. Especially if you're not sure what size/features you really need/want - they seem to have pretty good front-page + expansion capability, and integrate store features. So maybe check that out.

If you want something more traditional, and possibly with a bit more control, there are a ton of hosting/CMS combos. GoDaddy does cheap domain names, server rental is a mixed bag - you have to guess how much you space/bandwidth you might need a lot of the time and then budget around that. Probably easier to go with something like Squarespace, which also provides support and by all accounts does mobile very well - one of the harder things to manage when building a website is making it mobile-friendly too.

So, possibly something to give a try - lots of promos around for %10 or whatever off, and I do believe they let you try it out for free.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#3 User is offline   DeadHedge 

• Fist

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:54 AM

Thanks Silencer.

As the mobile age is taking a bigger slice of the market i will make sure i design it with this in mind.

I am based in the UK so not sure if US hosting makes a difference lol.

Looked at Wix and Weebly, but i know nothing at all about web-hosting t omake a good informed decision

If there are any web developers on here i certainly wouldnt say no to some pointers or even once i have something set up, for someone to have a look and give feedback.

DH

This post has been edited by DeadHedge: 27 April 2015 - 12:45 PM

"The wise say that as vows are sworn, so are the reaped. I found this to be true"

Prince K'azz D'avore

xbl GT - Arai Zenko

#4 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:30 PM

I do web design, and I agree with Silencer - go with Squarespace. It's easy to use, but allows for more advanced editing if you want

#5 User is offline   DeadHedge 

• Fist

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:40 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 27 April 2015 - 01:30 PM, said:

I do web design, and I agree with Silencer - go with Squarespace. It's easy to use, but allows for more advanced editing if you want

Cheers Wisper,

Would it be ok if once we hacve settled on something and once i have teh initial design, i could have some input on what goes/doesn't?

As i have said i have created forums before on Lefora which is fully customisable but free, however i have never done a full website.

DH

Prince K'azz D'avore

xbl GT - Arai Zenko

#6 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:10 PM

View PostDeadHedge, on 27 April 2015 - 01:40 PM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 27 April 2015 - 01:30 PM, said:

Cheers Wisper,

Would it be ok if once we hacve settled on something and once i have teh initial design, i could have some input on what goes/doesn't?

As i have said i have created forums before on Lefora which is fully customisable but free, however i have never done a full website.

DH

Sure!

#7 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:25 PM

I've had a personal use only site hosted by powweb for the last 10 years or so. Never had a complaint with them but am currently moving to gandi.net a French company. Slightly less expensive with slightly better perks. But I'm US and so don't have to pay the VAT.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users